Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Bad Day on the Midway

Phelot

Arcane
Actually it's The Resident's Bad Day on the Midway. It was released in 1995.

I have no way of getting the dialogue as it's not captioned. Speaking of dialogue, it's brilliantly written, though the voice actors are pretty lame... it was 1995 after all!

2lvoikn.jpg

The intro movie is of a flyover of "The Midway" the amusement park/carnival that the game takes place in. Note the "Sperm Whale" attraction...
ofo9og.jpg

Ta Dah!
dfvwcl.jpg

Meet Timmy! The archetype for small innocent children everywhere. You play as Timmy, through his eyes you explore the Midway and try to discover just what is going on... For Timmy, the only thing he's after is a good time.
wweupx.jpg

One of the coolest features of the game is that the current character that you posses has their thoughts for all the read below the main window. Timmy is a bit simple.
34e9i55.jpg

This is the auto fortune teller. She'll give you clues as to what you should be doing... or just ramble. Right now, all Timmy should be doing is exploring.
e6xc15.jpg

Deep thoughts... your cursor will change to arrows when you move it to different sides of the screen. For right now, we don't really care where we're going. There really isn't any story yet other then the adventures of a young kid looking for fun.
awpy7l.jpg

JACKPOT! SHOOT A COMMIE! "Better dead then red" reads the sign... this will be our first attraction to see
2l8de0m.jpg

But wait! We meet a new character! It's Miss Dixie, the owner of the Midways wife. I wish I could get the dialogue... but it would mean writing it all down or recording it all and I'm not that dedicated I fear :oops: anyways, Miss Dixie introduces herself. Timmy asks if she's from Texas and she says she isn't but that she sure do like anything Country. Right right, out of the way lady! Time to shoot commies! (btw, you can posses other characters that you meet by clicking on them. The cursor will turn to an eyeball)
5z08cp.jpg

2nk4etw.jpg

ztu2xt.jpg

:( of course... the attractions are just quicktime movies... but they're really cool and the art is by a number of really talented artists that have gone on to do some cool things! There's a youtube video for this one and I suggest you watch it,cool music and art. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW1GMvrGPR4
avip9v.jpg

1z1feac.jpg

Invigorating! Timmy seemed to have had fun. let's see whats to the left... a door!
2ryftio.jpg

Hmmm... a strange back room. Lets move forward.
11hqf6x.jpg

It looks like a sick man is on that bed... moving closer...
2vnid53.jpg

Nice observation Timmy
34t1ird.jpg

Probably not...
2uqdsmw.jpg

Clicking on his head triggers another movie... a vision of his mind...
2dbj6v8.jpg

It turns out that this is Ike, the owner of The Midway
nbr6ky.jpg

The vision is voiced by Ike. In it he details his life, beginning with a distant father and ending with his creation of a fascist neo-nazi theme park "Hiney Land"
2yty4qf.jpg

34g4x0y.jpg

s2fzhf.jpg

Clowns, guns, and swastika balloons! The mind of a madman or of a typical Codexian?
2wm4ebt.jpg

Oh Timmy...
107to5e.jpg

It's Miss Dixie! Miss Dixie explains that this is indeed her husband Ike and that he's in a comma from... an accident. At this point her movie begins, were she gives her story and then we can choose to play as her if we like.
2psopk6.jpg

Some notes: The game has a number of different endings and is time limited. You have to just keep exploring each playthrough to try and gather clues for your next playthrough. Each character has different things to say to other characters.

That's all for now I fear for I must run my dears!

Phelot

Arcane
I have a little more time so I can make one quick update...

Last we left (which was like an hour ago...) we were about to watch Miss Dixie's story. There is no youtube video for this one so I'll try to provide you all with as many captures as possible. Not to hard since this one is just slides anyway.
21mzp53.jpg

First, Miss Dixie talks about the three men that influenced her life: Her father, Carlos her lover, and Ike her current in-coma husband.
1zv9zia.jpg

She explains that her father used to tell her fantastic stories about country singers. Her father, a truck driver, drinks a bit much and Miss Dixie's mother is none to impressed with him. Regardless Dixie seems to loved him very much...
2i72s14.jpg

His father is also a writer. Dixie hopes to one day turn her father's poems into country songs... if she could only learn to play the guitar...
21lixhy.jpg

Then she meets Carlos. Her one time lover and jazz musician.
2rhye8j.jpg

Carlos gets her pregnant. Dixie explains that country singing can wait as she has a new purpose in life...
2dkmp1f.jpg

Finding out about the baby Carlos skips out, but not before accidentally knocking over an old guitar he got Dixie. He never bothered to tune it...
2hqfigy.jpg

Dixie trips over the guitar and falls down the stairs, killing the baby inside her... She was only 17 and so returned to her not so happy mother.
dnfx5l.jpg

Her friends and her hear about an awesome miniature golf theme park! They go to see what all the fuss is about. It's there that Dixie meets her future husband: Ike.
14dovbk.jpg

So completes Miss Dixie's tragic tale, but her tragedy is not yet over. The Midway is in financial crisis and Ike is in no state to do anything about it, which leaves the burden to Dixie. It's time we left Timmy for awhile and switch over to Miss Dixie.
1zo7mlk.jpg

More later. As Miss Dixie we finally get a story to pursue. She needs to get the Midway in order and also keep some of the "attractions" in line...

ElectricOtter

this is creepier than that Sanitarium LP :shock:

lightbane

Arcane
Great, more games made on crack. Incredibly disturbing and imaginative, in other words... MOAARRR!!!!

Phelot

Arcane
Before I continue I should mention that the game got mixed reviews. Almost everyone praised it for it's story, but some questioned whether it is even a game at all since there are no puzzles other then talking to the correct people at the correct time. It has been described as a "multimedia experience" which seems fair. The game is extremely short in one respect, and yet offers a lot of replay value simply because you'll have to try different routes each time in order to unlock the various endings.

One other thing. Through out the game you will hear a clock and be given a time. The game is time sensitive. Also, characters roam around randomly, so you may not always get the same character at the same location and time.

Enough chit chat, on with the show!

Recap: We just switched from Timmy to Miss Dixie who is in major financial danger, not to mention emotional...
eh1a9z.jpg

Hmmm...
j8ku0x.jpg

Poetry Jam! Actually most of these are good and there's a lot, I'll show a few. The significance of these? We'll have to find out...
2nndwh.jpg

fe0wt1.jpg

2rhrcp4.jpg

np1286.jpg

qqpkj4.jpg

Bile...
4l0vf6.jpg

This guy needed to invest in some paper...
2vte71j.jpg

2q18lg3.jpg

mb6075.jpg

Fascinating
14kwrww.jpg

2ia4gw6.jpg

ok ok enough of that. There's a lot more and they're picked randomly. Moving on

But before we go, I should note that apparently this "accident" involves acid, which is why the coma man is so disfigured. Some of the folks around the carnival think the coma man is someone else...
4ljdsj.jpg

Back out in the shooting gallery we meet Timmy Again. "Look Miss Dixie! I shot the fat guy!" That's nice Timmy...
16itj5s.jpg

Finally outside... only to find Otto. Otto is a talentless, stuttering worm... His claim to fame is his pet rat Oscar which races. We'll meet Oscar soon enough.
2110v4h.jpg

He confronts Miss Dixie about her promise for a new sign for his stand, but that's not all he's after. He has a letter which he is blackmailing Dixie with. What does he want? Well... sex of course! Otto isn't exactly lucky with the opposite sex.
2ilzfox.jpg

Miss Dixie denies Otto who, as usual manages to mess up something as simple as blackmail, but I'm sure he'll be back. Let's head back to the beginning. For now we need to try and meet as many other members of the carnival as possible.
9zlnj7.jpg

This is Dagmar the Stripper and her two dobermans. She doesn't have much to say right now and we want to play as Dixie for a bit longer. She can be possessed, as can Otto.
rcpmhk.jpg

She's kind of a cunt to Miss Dixie. Hmph.
33562wj.jpg

Keep moving on...
1zqeqft.jpg

I bet you would Dixie... I bet you would... Anyways, we got another even to see!
711fg3.jpg

This is suppose to be a horror ride called "Tortures Top Ten" but instead of being normal physical torture, it's more of the mental and emotional. Carrying Cripples indeed. We've got a youtube video here of this. I suggest you watch it since words and pics don't do these things justice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCTIRrOedHc
24e10r9.jpg

The ride dumps us out back
2uzf9cj.jpg

By "The Eye of the Maniac"
2emok1c.jpg

For most of the characters, it does nothing, but for Ted, the person Dixie is thinking about, it does something very dramatic. Ted is the son of one of the cooler carnival attractions we'll meet soon. Ted is a little strange.
2cdcupc.jpg

Gotta run for now.

Phelot

Arcane
Another day, another update.

Still playing as Miss Dixie, lets check out another attraction. "Marvels of Modern Mayhem"
Narrated by Ike, he describes that kids are the only ones in the world that understands that power can only be had by being merciless, such as kids are when they tease each other: they never stop.
2d802g0.jpg

We are now presented a guided tour of some of Ike's favorite events in history:
23k2o8j.jpg

2i07z8g.jpg

348rpkm.jpg

2ustlw9.jpg

qp5x85.jpg

vzd6pd.jpg

24o7rqd.jpg

n1s86b.jpg

Next we go to Otto's stall. Otto and his rat Oscar run a gambling ring. You bet on which hole Oscar will stop at. Oscar is special because of the red star that encompasses his head. WE'll hear more about OScar later.
fvh3wz.jpg

You're probably wondering where I'm going with this lp... well, truth be told I'm not even sure. I forgot how strange and directionless this game is. Really, you just need to move around and experience each character and attraction and then suddenly you've got a subplot. As time progresses things start to happen, but in the meantime you've got all the places to keep you entertained and while you're looking, the character's thoughts will make you laugh.
25ryzqs.jpg

I can't update that much right now. It doesn't take much to take the pics and play the game, but it sure is a lot of work to post them here, so for the three people following this, bear with me. I'll have more later on tonight or tomorrow. Real life sucks :(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
wow, the art direction is sick... and awesome. What a strange game. I wish it was done in 2D though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom