Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Aethra Chronicles! (with a KKKKrew)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
'Sup fellas!
Aethra Chronicles was a cute little shareware RPG from the early 90s. Since I've recently discovered that the full version is floating about in the internets, I can finally complete it. And I've decided to do that with a KKKodex KKKrew!

The game starts with the main hero (on level 3) and his two friends (on level 2). The party limit is 6, and I can easily hire another three 2nd level mercs and then change them in an savegame editor, so they can fill the codex role too. So, we have six spots open - but I won't be able to afford the equipment for the sixth character before the first (albeit small) dungeon. Obviously, I'll take the main character.

Here's what you have to do:
Create your character - pick the race, class, portrait and say how you want the adventurer to develop.

A quick run-around about the system:
Abilities. Strength, Agility and Constitution are obvious. Intelligence is important for arcane spellcasters (and influences many skills), Wisdom for divine. Presence, Memory and Reasoning are more or less useless, as they influence only a couple of skills.
There are five races. Humans, who are average, and gain a small bonus to strength, constitution and piety. They make good clerics and only they can be paladins.
Elves enjoy bonus to intelligence, agility, presence and memory, while having worse constitution. As always, they are suitable for mages, bowmen and thieves.
Half-elves have overally the biggest boni, but spread across almost all abilities, with the exception of piety (penalty) and reasoning.
Dwarves get a large bonus to both strength and constitution, but suffer from worse agility, intelligence and presence. They are perfect warriors, but cannot take any of the magic classes, nor can they become bards.
Hobbits have a big penalty to strength and presence, and smaller ones to wisdom and intelligence. However, they are both agile and tough. Hobbits can become great thieves and archers and mediocre spellcasters.

Classes.

Warriors are pretty obvious. They have three skill picks for both melee and ranged weapons, have the most HP and can use all weapons and armor. However, their non-combat skills are pretty bad, except for woodslore and mountaineering.
Thieves have lots of skills (three picks for four non-combat ones) and are pretty good in melee and archery too, but can't wear the best armor. Plus, they can have Deadly Strike (three picks), which is pretty overpowered.
Rogues are a mix of warrior and thief. Their HPs are second only to warriors', are better fighters and can use better armor than thieves, but their thievery skills are a bit worse.
Rangers are the best archers, can double as thieves (no deadly strike though) and have access to their own spell school (self-buffs and healing).
Bards are jacks-of-all-trades. They aren't bad in a fight, have decent skill picks (including the best mythic lore and trading) and their own spellsong list (no idea if it's useful, though).
Clerics are very useful. They can cast spells from three lists (healing, buffing and anti-demon/undead), identify items, fight and wear most armors. They are forbidden from using blade and missile weapons.
Elementalists, Sorcerers, Mentalists and Conjurers are four mage types. They differ only by spell schools - elementalists get buffs and AoE spells, sorcerers curses and single target nukes, mentalists mostly curses, while conjurers summonings. There are also two schools available to all mages (chronometry and transmogrification). They can't wear almost any armor, are weak and can't hit shit in combat.
Paladins are good fighters, can wear all armor and cast spells from their list (healing, self-buffs and anti-demon).
Ashikari is, I think, the most OP class. They are a mix of warrior and a mage, with good fighting skills, excellent evasion, many non-combat picks (can be used as thieves in a pinch) and a buff spellbook.

game_024.jpg

Skills are mostly obvious. Handheld arms, bows, unarmed combat are self-explainatory. Fortification increases HPs, Spell Points SPs (duh!), Attack Ovasion armor. Pick locks, detect, disarm traps and perception are the thieves' arsenal. Trading gets better prices. Identifying identifies items (surprise!) while Read Runes scrolls. Mythic Lore lets you get info about monsters. Woods lore and mountaineering quickens travel. Spell List increases your chance of getting a new spell school. Deadly strike gives you a chance to one-hit kill a foe (you can even move and attack afterwards).

what we'll need is a typical crpg party, you know the drill.
portraits in second post.

if any party member dies (and they will), we go get another one, so a reserve list will be necessary.

CURRENT PARTY:

Hoverdog - human rogue
Wyr M. Lord (Wyrmlord) - human paladin
Aislinn (Black Cat) - elf conjurer
Old Bee (Crooked Bee) - human cleric
Keyzeray (Kz3r0) - elf ranger

RESERVE LIST

Lord Paco (oldmanpaco) - human elementalist
Somafera (Terpsichore) - human rogue
Fowyr - elf sorceror
Azzy (Azira) - human bard

GRAVEYARD
Lee Bane (lightbane) - human ashikari - mentally jolted by a rat-man mage

hoverdog

Developer
Portraits:
Warriors (human/elf/dwarf)
fi_h.jpg
fi_e.jpg
fi_d.jpg

Thieves
h.jpg
e.jpg
d.jpg
b.jpg

Rogues
ro_h.jpg
ro_e.jpg
ro_d.jpg
ro_b.jpg

Rangers
ra_h.jpg
ra_e.jpg
ra_d.jpg

Bards
ba_h.jpg
ba_e.jpg

Clerics
cl_h.jpg
cl_e.jpg
cl_d.jpg
cl_b.jpg

Elementalists
el_h.jpg
el_e.jpg
el_b.jpg

Sorcerors
so_h.jpg
so_e.jpg
so_b.jpg

Mentalists
me_h.jpg
me_e.jpg
me_b.jpg

Conjurors
co_h.jpg
co_e.jpg
co_b.jpg

Paladins
pal.jpg

Ashikari
as_h.jpg
as_e.jpg

half-elves can use both human and elven portraits.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wyr M. Lord

Human Paladin

Highest possible STR, CON, and WIS you can roll

Mountaineering, Perception, and Handheld Arms

pal.jpg

Top left

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Name: Old Bee
Race: Human, male
Class: Cleric

Portrait:
cl_h.jpg

The one with the beard!! :P

Wisdom = 100, is that possible?
Skills -- eh, no idea; just pick something a cleric might need in this game; Lore maybe?

Black Cat

Magister
Aislinn

Female Elf Conjurer

Highest Intelligence and Presence you can roll. Pretty witch for the teh win.

About skills, like, I don't really know. Focus on, like, Spell Points, Read Runes, Mythic Lore, and Spell List? Ignore all the others. A wizardess is not a wizardess because she knows magic, but because she needs to know nothing else. :obviously:

For portrait the third one on the second line, from the left. The elven girl with a blue cloak and green clothes and stuffies.

Edit: And just so you know if you roll her with a weight higher than at least two standards deviations lower than the most median one you can roll I going to slap you.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Keyzeray

Elf ranger.

Mythic Lore, Woods lore and mountaineering.

ra_e.jpg

The portrait in the low right corner.

lightbane

Arcane
Name: Lee Bane

Race: Half-elf, male

Class: Ashiraki, because it's the only one that's somewhat exotic

Skills: Whater you think it'll be necessary

as_h.jpg

I choose the 1st one on the 1st line, from the left.

Terpsichore

Arcane
LBsAU.jpg

Somafera, human rogue.

Try to balance out str, agi and con.

Pick detect traps, disarm traps, attack evasion, handheld arms, pick locks and maybe deadly strike.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fowyr, Elf Sorceror
bottom left
so_e.jpg

I just like this portrait :lol:

Max Int and Agility
max Spell list, Fortification, Spell Points, Unarmed Combat (for changeling transformation), Handheld Combat, Attack Evasion, Mountaineering, WoodsLore.

Get Chronometry first and try to get Elemental list.

hoverdog

Developer
Let's see our brave heroes!

game_004.jpg

game_005.jpg

Hoverdog. He's almost a dwarf in terms of height, but he's quick and he's quite strong. Just a look at him is enough to know that his presence isn't too high. He's our resident thief and a capable warrior, especially excelling at a distance.

game_007.jpg

game_006.jpg

Take a look at Wyr M. Lord (as wyrmie didn't pick a portrait, I went with the silly one). He's a powerful figure, a real icon of paladinhood. Tough, strong, and sporting a mean hit. Just don't ask him to tie his shoelaces.

game_008.jpg

game_009.jpg

Lee Bane is almost as big as Wyr, but much nimbler. He's a fine fighter and has acute eyesight enabling him to see some hidden things.

game_010.jpg

game_011.jpg

Say hello to Keyzeray. With her features and long legs she could have been a model, but decided to hug trees instead. Not too tough and tries to steer clear of melee brawls, but perfect with a bow.

game_012.jpg

game_013.jpg

Aislinn's our first mage. She was a sickly child and didn't grew up too resistant. However, she took some bodybuilding classes and at least can carry her own weight. Bright and lovely, but tends to forget her spellbook.

game_014.jpg

game_015.jpg

Last but not least, Old Bee, the mad zealot. Tough as nails and always ready to kick some heretic butt. Unfortunately his old age prevent him from running too fast. Not the friendliest demeanor either.

in the first update, we'll get to know the basic premise of the game, buy some stuffies, and maybe venture into our first dungeon!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is no "full version" per se, the game was supposed to have two additional episodes which were never finished. Really did like the game, though it can brutally ravage your nether regions should you make the wrong choices.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Where is my name in the reserve list and my KKKs for providing you full game, eh? :rpgcodex:

Just kidding. You lost this shareware version, I presume?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oi! You need a bard, no party is complete without a bard...

ba_h.jpg

Top right portrait. Human. You mix the stats whichever way you please. Oh, and name him Azzy.

Should be entertaining. :avatard:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Those are some high rolls you got on the attributes. Wow.

Lee Bane has 85+ on several attributes.

This is what I love about roll-a-die RPGs. You just don't know what the strengths and weaknesses of your party will be.

hoverdog

Developer
First, big update coming up and guess what - spoilers spoilers - someone died! (though not where it was supposed to happen) :incline:

Those are some high rolls you got on the attributes. Wow.

Lee Bane has 85+ on several attributes.

This is what I love about roll-a-die RPGs. You just don't know what the strengths and weaknesses of your party will be.
nah - you can reroll all you want (but I decided against abusing it) plus you get a random number of spare points (that's why there are so many 100's).

hoverdog

Developer
CHAPTER I - FIRST STEPS (AND FOR SOME, LAST)

We are greated by a nice intro, which doesn't really explain anything. It's just nice.

game_074.jpg

game_075.jpg

game_076.jpg

game_077.jpg

game_078.jpg

game_079.jpg

game_080.jpg

game_081.jpg

game_082.jpg

game_083.jpg

game_084.jpg

game_085.jpg

game_086.jpg

game_087.jpg

game_088.jpg

game_089.jpg

game_090.jpg

Let's roll!
The game starts with three characters, but recruit three more mercs asap and edit their stats, so we're playing like there are six members already.

game_000.jpg

game_001.jpg

We can decline - but we won't get the map nor directions - C&C!

game_002.jpg

game_003.jpg

hoverdog.jpg
Shit sucks. My old man got arrested. Now I have to save the world or somesuch. Are you with me?

oldbee.jpg
Aye! Demonspawn beware!

aislinn.jpg
~Sure, like, nyan, and stuffies!

wyrm.jpg
I swear by my honor! No, the other honor!

leebane.jpg
:roll:

First things first - we have to go shopping, see if there's any work available and find that merchant.

Outside the adventurers' guild (I forgot to take screens of those two quarters - I'll post them in chapter II)
game_016.jpg

nice dough, but we don't stand a chance yet.

Church
game_017.jpg

This will be our first assignment.
Now, shopping time!

key.jpg
Hurray!
game_018.jpg

We have about 2k gold, and spend almost all of it. Armor rules are simple - there are head, arm, chest and leg parts. You can't wear a mail coat (chest+legs) and greaves, for example.

We bought a twohander, sleeve mail shirt, and a bow+ for Hovery
game_044.jpg

A warhammer+, crossbow, brestplate, shield and a helm for Wyr (look at his movement now)
game_045.jpg

A flail+, another breastplate, shield and helm for Old Bee
game_046.jpg

Lee Bane got a broadsword, sleeve mail shirt and leather boots
game_047.jpg

Aislinn's only got a quarterstaff and a jacket.
game_048.jpg

Longbow+, a broadsword and a mailcoat for Keyzeray.
game_049.jpg

We have about 300 gold left.

game_019.jpg

Mages quarter.

game_020.jpg

Here's the merchant's house.

game_021.jpg

game_022.jpg

game_023.jpg

Again, we can reject his offer - this won't prevent us from finishing the game (I couldn't find that damned painting the first time), but every exp counts.

game_024.jpg

There's nothing interesting here.

game_025.jpg

Royal castle.

King considers us banal.shit.boring,
game_026.jpg

game_027.jpg

but we can talk with our father.

game_028.jpg

game_029.jpg

Well, hell's bells.The story isn't spectacular nor original at all, I must say.

game_030.jpg

Here's the thievescraftsmen guild, and the burnt buildings, where the bandits are. We aren't ready for them yet.

game_031.jpg

game_032.jpg

game_033.jpg

DUM DUM DUM DUM

First things first, we cast a light spell. We can't see anything.

game_034.jpg

game_035.jpg

game_037.jpg

Time for our first combat! Skeletons aren't the toughest foes. In fact, they're pretty weak, and can even be one-shotted.
The combat itself is pretty well-done. Characters move according to initiative, shooting/attacking/using items/casting spells (except for and paladin's and ashikari's) ends turn. The only problem is that the interface is rather uninformative. You don't know what's the chance to hit or even if the spell worked correctly, and hitting generates descriptions that inform you how well the attack went ("delivers an annoying breeze" is a miss, for example, while "gives a staggering blow" means a powerful hit).

game_038.jpg

Keyzeray kills the first one.
game_039.jpg

Hoverdog shoots down the second.
game_040.jpg

That's two for Key
game_041.jpg

Wyr puts down another
game_042.jpg

Keyzeray finishes the job.

key.jpg
I'm awesome!

game_043.jpg

We check the bodies, but they're not father Whatshisname.

game_050.jpg

game_052.jpg

Zombies attack us! Scary! But they're weaker than skellies, so no worries.

game_051.jpg

game_053.jpg

game_054.jpg

game_055.jpg

Keyzeray is really mean with the bow, another three kills for her.

game_056.jpg

We find a secret door on the left.
game_057.jpg

game_058.jpg

A chest!
A screenshot with its content vanished, there was an armor part I think.
game_059.jpg

A locked chest! Hoverdog has no problem with it.
game_060.jpg

game_061.jpg

We can identify items in the inventory screen. Each try has a chance to break the item (only small items are in dangerI think, like potions and such).
game_062.jpg

Lee gets the magical sword. The ring is dropped.

game_063.jpg

A similar secret door is on the other side.
game_064.jpg

game_065.jpg

game_066.jpg

Both turn out to be +. Wyr gets the shield and Key the armor.

game_067.jpg

game_068.jpg

Another filler combat!

game_069.jpg

I wonder if Wyr M. Lord reaches any enemy before the battle ends.
game_070.jpg

game_071.jpg

game_072.jpg

game_073.jpg

Piss-easy.

game_091.jpg

game_092.jpg

game_094.jpg

game_095.jpg

Hey look, Wyrmie was sleeping again.
game_097.jpg

And no fucks were given.

game_098.jpg

game_099.jpg

DUM DUM! This ghost is a pretty powerful opponent, is fast, hits hard, drains HP and constitution and has high evasion.
game_102.jpg

game_103.jpg

Aynstyne's is one of the best low level spells, it bestowes another attack on a single character.
game_104.jpg

But Hoverdog's attacks cannot even hit the beast.
game_105.jpg

Maybe some damage dealing spell works better.
game_106.jpg

It does! Another Magebow and it's dead (again), without any casualties or even serious injuries! I'm amazed.

game_108.jpg

Some loot.
game_109.jpg

game_110.jpg

game_111.jpg

game_112.jpg

game_113.jpg

Rat-men! They are rather easy to kill and don't deal a lot of damage, but can shoot. Beware their spellcasters too!

game_114.jpg

That's why we target mages first.
game_115.jpg

:salute: Keyzeray
game_116.jpg

Hovery's envious!
game_117.jpg

Rat mage casts a Snare spell. It prevents our fighters from moving. No matter, they can fight where they are!
game_118.jpg

Key shoots down the second mage, while Hovery and Wyrm kill a few more. The rest flees.
game_118.jpg

We find a wand nearby.

game_120.jpg

game_121.jpg

A patrol has less enemies than a warband, and rarely features mages.

game_122.jpg

Hoverdog and Key kill two from afar, but Aislinn's been hit hard.
game_123.jpg

game_124.jpg

We stumble upon another party. There's a serious rat infestation here!
game_125.jpg

game_127.jpg

Only one mage this time.
game_128.jpg

Old Bee heals Aislinn.
game_129.jpg

game_130.jpg

game_131.jpg

It's hard to see anything in a big pile of bodies.
game_132.jpg

We mop up.
game_133.jpg

A chest, but we have to kill the last patrol first.
game_134.jpg

game_135.jpg

Rat mages are keeping busy, stunning Key,
game_136.jpg

and killing Lee Bane! A single Mental Jolt was enough for him. Rest in peace, grim one :salute:
game_137.jpg

The rest fights hard to avenge Lee's death.
game_138.jpg

We get some spoils, but at what cost?!
game_139.jpg

:salute:

game_140.jpg

game_141.jpg

We delve deeper, just to end this venture.

game_142.jpg

game_143.jpg

Keyzeray won't stop
game_144.jpg

while Old Bee is old.
game_145.jpg

At least noone died.

game_146.jpg

game_147.jpg

what a strange colored floor. It's all trapped except for the yellow parts.
game_148.jpg

game_149.jpg

game_150.jpg

game_151.jpg

Bats! They're more annoying than dangerous. Have high AC, but come down after one hit.
game_152.jpg

game_153.jpg

game_154.jpg

game_155.jpg

game_156.jpg

Ghouls are much more dangerous. They're tougher, stronger and faster than skellies or zombies, and their hits carry disease.
game_157.jpg

Old Bee casts Repulsion. It's a turn undead-kinda spell.
game_158.jpg

Wyr got sick!
game_159.jpg

but he strikes down his adversary.
game_160.jpg

Key shoots another
game_161.jpg

and another
game_162.jpg

Old Bee doesn't want to be worse
game_163.jpg

Hoverdog gets chopped, but survives. Wyrm kills the last one
game_164.jpg

Finally, we found what's left of father Whatshisname. Time to get the fuck out of here!

game_165.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Gosh, there seems to be lots of combat here, maybe it was the main inspiration for Dragon Derp 2...

game_139.jpg

:x :rage:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
This thread needs more Paco.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom