Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Iron Man Fallout 2 - Restoration Project

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RK47 said:
No modern weaponry perhaps?

Spears, throwing knives, unarmed, what have you? Grenades are allowed though. :salute:

Well, then he could as well suicide right away.

Unarmed monster is going to be fun, there are a lot of strong unarmed perks out there.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Malakal said:
RK47 said:
No modern weaponry perhaps?

Spears, throwing knives, unarmed, what have you? Grenades are allowed though. :salute:

Well, then he could as well suicide right away.

Unarmed monster is going to be fun, there are a lot of strong unarmed perks out there.

Yeah my goal is to eventual win the game. Going to be hard doing that with brass knuckles.

I need to work on my unarmed perk selection by the way. So far it builds just like a ranged char:

Awareness
Bonus move
Better Criticals
Action Boy
Bonus HtH Attack
Action Boy II

What do you suggest instead?

Also what would you change for a melee build? Not that HtH dude died or anything. Or that the ranged guy after him died as well.

Also anything to help with enemy criticals? Nothing like a 125 point assault rifle burst to ruin your day.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
How do you turn on the control party option? It's been mentioned but I have never used it.

Pope Amole

Educated
oldmanpaco said:
Awareness
Bonus move
Better Criticals
Action Boy
Bonus HtH Attack
Action Boy II

What do you suggest instead?

Lvl 3 - awareness is crap. I mean, you've played that stuff twice already so you should know who has what and whatnot, and it's totally useless in other departments. Take either earlier sequence (because going first is a must for close combat fighter, it allows you to either hit first or run like hell) or toughness (10% of dmg resistance can be really useful when ironmanning it).
Lvl 6 - bonus move is the best you can have, 2 ap is a lot.
Lvl 9 - also optimal.
lvl 12 - Lifegiver. Period. the only way of dealing with 150 hp criticals is having 151 hp (and preferably much, much more), so +4 hp per level is really helpful here.
lvl 15 - bonus hth attacks are teh best.
lvl 18 - I, personally, never go for the action boys, preferring to use an hth-evade+tag unarmed combo under the jinxed trait, but that's really not as effective, to be honest. So yeah, you can try to gain those +2 ap while grinding up to the 24th slayer.

As for the build... Currently I'm ironmanning f2 myself with an unarmed fighter (inspired by your LP, no less, 21 level already though the game has just gave me an unpleasant surprise by killing both Goris and Sulik in the same combat; goris took a 141 hp bullet spray from smg and Sulik had 441 hps of love from a tommygun) and I use S 3 (and that's even too much, should've taken 2), P 8 (all for the sake of going first) E 8 (hps are important) C 4 (playing with controlled NPCs which makes the game much more fun and tactical; like, paired with Sulic, I've managed to slaughter the slaver's guild at lvl 7 which says a lot) I 10 (obvious, though it can be 9 or even 8) A 8 (thing is, with unarmed fighter you don't really want to pay through your nose to get 10 AP since, until you get 2 action boy perks, you can use only 9 effectively) L 6 (just for moar criticals). Traits are gifted and jinxed. I guess that if you don't go for the jinxed combo, you can take kamikaze - allows you to take just 6 Pe, putting saved points elsewhere. And the armor loss is really negligible. Finesse can also work, though for it you want a S of 6, gaininh access to all those flashy special unarmed attacks which also heighten your critical chance, so aimed at the eyes you can autocrit even without a slayer perk.

Phelot

Arcane
Does the RP make the GECK quest time critical or is the medicine man's babbling still not mean anything?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
How do you turn on the control party option? It's been mentioned but I have never used it.

Enter the ddraw.ini and search for it, pretty easy to find and use. It has some bugs, though, like:

I'll take a look at it when I get home from work. This has to make the game much, much easier though. Marcus becomes a legit party member!

Pope Amole said:
Lvl 3 - awareness is crap. I mean, you've played that stuff twice already so you should know who has what and whatnot, and it's totally useless in other departments. Take either earlier sequence (because going first is a must for close combat fighter, it allows you to either hit first or run like hell) or toughness (10% of dmg resistance can be really useful when ironmanning it).

Could be. I like to see HPs of the bag guys though. Will have to think on this.

Pope Amole said:
lvl 12 - Lifegiver. Period. the only way of dealing with 150 hp criticals is having 151 hp (and preferably much, much more), so +4 hp per level is really helpful here.

This is a good point.

My unarmed build is already going though so it will have to wait until the next go around.

phelot said:
Does the RP make the GECK quest time critical or is the medicine man's babbling still not mean anything?

Still doesn't mean anything.

Didn't the Codex used to have a awesome Fallout 2 Ironman thread? What happened with it, Bros?

You can find it in the sticky. But I'm an attention whore so I made my own thread.

Hey Paco, if you want to be EVEN MORE MAINLER and INCREASE YOUR BROTITUDE, here are some hints to MAKE IT HARDER and be lifted up everyone's shoulders as a CODEXIAN HERO in the future:

Play as a YOURSELF character. Use your own stats and your own skill tags and traits and perks related to YOU. Bonus if you post a photo, so if you get yourself 10 ST or 10 AG, we can at least look at you and say if your physical stats are according to your photo or not.

Who wants to play a game with all 10's for stats.

Play with 3 or less of any stat. Game gets CRAZY:
With 3 ST, you can barely carry your own clothes and you can barely use most guns right.
With 3 PE, you lose many quests and optional enhancements, your aim sucks giant dongs and random encounters start with you bumping at your enemies' head.
With 3 EN, you're made of straw, flour and paper, and held together by plastic wires, spit and prayer. Even the most harmless fights can suddenly become dangerous because you're ridiculously delicate.
With 3 CH... you know, not much actually happens. You get one NPC, some characters get worse reactions from you, prices are worse and that's it, I think. CH is weak in FO2, although still stronger than in FO1, where it was the supreme dump stat.
With 3 IN... well, you already know.
With 3 AG... holy fuck can you even engage in combat? You're slow as molasses, Myron turns into Hermes by comparison. Do this if you're insane.
With 3 LK... I don't think much actually happens. You get less crits and probrably more failures.

Play a SKILLED game. Now that's crazy, playing with the WORST TRAIT FOREVER.

Once again - I want to finish the game. The only skill you can really dump is CH -maybe ST if you get the power armor early.

korenzel

Educated
Good LP, but I preferred it when you weren't skipping over most of the stuff you do. Maybe only skimming through things you already covered with a previous character would be enough ? I don't remember Fallout 2 well enough to know exactly what each quest entailed and each character said.

As for the build, experiment. It's more interesting than following optimized builds munchkins perfected over the last 10 years.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
korenzel said:
Good LP, but I preferred it when you weren't skipping over most of the stuff you do. Maybe only skimming through things you already covered with a previous character would be enough ? I don't remember Fallout 2 well enough to know exactly what each quest entailed and each character said.

As for the build, experiment. It's more interesting than following optimized builds munchkins perfected over the last 10 years.

I started skipping a lot when the Char was dead and I wanted to get going on the next char. I know I skipped most of BH, Reddding, ect. I hear different opinions from different people though.

I was putting in all the random encounters but since I simple ran away from or avoided 90% of them I stopped doing that.

Finding a balance is hard when you're going to be going over the content multiple times.

The problem with the builds is that it is hard to ironman an exotic build.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Note that meele builds get mighty irritating after a while because you're giving KOs left and right and have to run after enemies thrown back by your blows, wasting APs after almost every hit.

Never put more than 5-6 in STR. Take 8 EN and Life giver asap. 10 AG is an absolute must.

I still think that meele iron man is asking for it. Many situations require simply a shit ton of luck to survive, unless you'll run away a lot.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
No doubt; Game's hard to ironman...it's very unforgiving. much like arcanum.

"Hi I'm the survivor of the IFS Zephyr..."

"DIE BY THE MOLOCHEAN HAND" Lv 35 bar patron.

WTF

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RK47 said:
No doubt; Game's hard to ironman...it's very unforgiving. much like arcanum.

"Hi I'm the survivor of the IFS Zephyr..."

"DIE BY THE MOLOCHEAN HAND" Lv 35 bar patron.

WTF
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:thumbsup:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Not dead yet. I have had a busy few weeks. There should be some updates this weekend.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Sorry I missed this weekend. I'll try to put up Paco - Long Haired Pugilist of the Wasteland tomorrow.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Neat LP.
If you go for Lifegiver, get both levels of it at lvl 12 and 15 for a whopping +8hp at every levelup. That way you could even go for 2EN, that is if you survive that long. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom