Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get horribly raped in TFTD! Orgasm now running things!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I was actually surprised you had an 'OK' monthly rating after two fucked up terror missions.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh well, at least I bagged one before being bagged myself.

One question though - you have an area of effect weapon, a good idea of the alien's location, and a good line of sight - and yet you don't do the obvious?

Collateral damage is easier on your points that dead agents.

spekkio

Arcane
Last mission was truly epic.
Don't worry fallen commrades, we - the new recruits - will follow your glorious example soon.

Also: +1 for playing this not only ironman but without xcomutil too.

Tails

Arbiter
GarfunkeL, it seems TFTD hates you so much...

spekkio said:
Also: +1 for playing this not only ironman but without xcomutil too.
As far I remember GarfunkeL is using xcomutil on this attempt, with random subs.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I had AP ammunition on Gas Cannons so the agents could use them in close quarters as well.

I started out with XcomUtil but I forgot to use it for all the new updates. I will switch back to it since it makes the logs which help out figuring who died when, which is understandably useful.

Deep One

Novice
Cool LP. Those epic failures are LOL. Meh.. MORE! Looking forward to next update. :D

drexciya

Augur
I know it seems a bit cheap, but there's nothing wrong with using grenades early on. They're much more effective than your puny weapons. Also I'd recommend using the "Tank" in above water missions as well. As a recon vehicle it's way better than your soldiers. Spot enemy, ready grenades and boom. As long as you keep out of sight with the throwers you're pretty safe. Remember that your enemy is doing the same.

Only when soldiers survive for a few fights and can handle some bigger weapons (Rocket Launcher) you can think about doing aimed shots reliably.

TNO

Augur
I'm good at UFO defence, but I haven't played the TFTD, but as it is pretty close to a reskin, I doubt your mileage will vary.

1. If worst comes to worst, simply landing on the terror site and hitting the evac first turn is a good strategy if you can't afford to risk your troops. In UFO D, failing to go to the terror site nets the aliens 1000 points, and so canes your monthly rating. Landing and then leaving, although not as good as success, doesn't give you this huge rating hit. Basically, landing, even if you don't do anything else, counts as a mission failure for the aliens.

2. It is also usually worth keeping the highest ranked dude (if you have a high ranked dude) back in the sub. You can trigger the evac if you're furbarred, and it also helps morale: officers prevent panic, but if they die, you run.

3. I'm not convinced that tanks are worth it. They cost 12 troops in money, and four on the transport. A few meatshields seem to work better.

But anyway, sorry if you knew all this already. Good luck with the LP, nice reading.

Early on grenades + tanks is definitely an excellent strategy. Tanks have the armor to have a decent chance to survive, and they auto repair at the end of combat. Lots of TU's is good as well. The downside is low reactions, so later on when enemies can pierce their armor fairly easy its definitely best off just spotting enemies (which doesn't draw reaction fire) then letting your entire squad go full auto on the aliens from a screen away. Sure they are expensive, but if the tank makes you win through even a single mission it will pay for itself 5x over. Also, when indoors proximity grenades are worth their weight in gold, preventing aliens from popping through a door 5 feet infront of you, shooting half your team, then walking away like nothing happened.

When I played superhuman (which happens to be not much harder, the enemies are approximately 5% stronger. There are something like 30% more of them, but that also means more loot), I just pussied out of any terror mission that was at night, or missions that included mind control/zombifying crap. I believe its -200 points for just going there and leaving, if you get a single good medium size UFO shot down you should be able to negate that. The best thing to do is to get the radar that has 100% detection ASAP, and make a number of early bases with those. At that point I scrapped my interceptors and just used let the subs land and use the triton to ferry troops in. Undamaged subs will be worth a lot more, and you can generally find enough to easily outweigh any terror missions you drop.

GarfunkeL said:
geoscape003.png
Oh fuck. I guess I had best not hold onto the grenades during terror missions. At least I can make a moderately good sniper from the back line.

headache

Novice
I just noticed you finished researching that live Deep One. I did too as soon as I got one in a recent game, and thus succumbed to the TFTD research bug. Well, I did not wait to see it myself, but it does seem it was never fixed.

So I guess your game has too, unless you somewhere completed Ion Beam Accelerators and Aqua Plastics Armor first: if you don't research these before a live Deep One you can't ever research Ion Armor or alien ships later. I've seen one workaround, which is enabling all item production with XcomUtil. (Pretty brute-force & I opted not to.) Of course, it would probably be *ahem* a while before you were ready to go to the motherworld and all this may be moot. I this has been mentioned before forgive the repetition, but with what happened to me I wouldn't have minded multiple warnings.

And fun LP. Since I'm here I may as well report for duty whenever you need more recruits.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I use the 2.1 patch which fixes some research issues, even then I make sure to follow the oficially listed armor path

Deep One Corpse-Aqua Plastics-Aqua Plastic Armor-Ion Beam Accerlerator-Live Deep One-Ion Armor-Mag. Nav. Mag. Ion armor.

Oarfish

Prophet
I play the start game of xcom on genius using COPIOUS amounts of explosives. GC + hi ex all round, with a couple of non explosive weapons. Plenty of grenades for accurate attacks where there is no line of sight. Chickenshit scouting with a coelacanth is also handy. I also hose down the early terror missions with incendiaries, fuck the civvies until you get some armour.

Oarfish said:
I play the start game of xcom on genius using COPIOUS amounts of explosives. GC + hi ex all round, with a couple of non explosive weapons. Plenty of grenades for accurate attacks where there is no line of sight. Chickenshit scouting with a coelacanth is also handy. I also hose down the early terror missions with incendiaries, fuck the civvies until you get some armour.

Mass rocket launchers. Leave them nothing to hide behind. Aliens OR Civilians. Who cares about armour?

Its nice to look back on a long terror mission and see that you caused more devastation then the aliens :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
HERE WE AGAIN! WOO!

Sorry about the lack of updates, I was enticed by Painkiller and BG-Tutu.

We're on a boat motherfucker!

For the next 2 turns, aliens kill unsuspecting tourists on the sun decks as the X-Com team deploys.

Turn 4 starts with our valiant heroes looking for targets - seems the ship has been attacked mainly by Aquatoids. Except Edward_R_Murrow finds a scaly abomination walking on two feet.

Eddie takes a quick snapshot... which naturally leaves the freak standing. FUCK. Luckily he manages to duck out of the room. CrusadarTemplar shoots another scaly fucktard with as disappointing results.

That is from Gas Cannon with AP rounds. Scaly fucktards. During alien turn the bugger shoots one of us - Sport maybe? I'll have to check. RIP mate.

CrusaderTemplar tries again but misses. Rest of team tries to get under cover.

CrusaderTemplar hits the scaly murderer for a second time and it stays standing.

Rabidredneck imitates CT but only hits the side of our flying sub. Cheers mate.

Very interesting turn for the aliens. First this fellow calmly walks infront of Eddie who does not react at all.

Then the other one kills RabidRedneck. R.I.P.

Eddie shoots the bugger but as previously stated, these assholes can take two AP rounds into the chest with zero issues, it seems.

Edward_R_Murrow gets into cover and Stereotypical Villain secures his flank.

During aliens turn, the sundeck-scaly and CT exchange fire with no visible results.

Onwards, X-Com! Eddie tries to look where the scalie went, with disappointingly familiar results.

Why didn't I just throw a grenade there? :sigh:

DragonFK and DarkUnderLord dash into the ship from the sub. But OverweightManatee and Spekkio are both scared to death and useless.

During alien's turn, one just walks and shoots our pointman. Awesome. Luckily I don't remember the name.

OverweightManatee, Spekkio and Lonely Vazdru panic. Vazdru runs into the middle of the deck, ensuring that he will die during next alien turn. Nice.

StereotypicalVillain primes his explosives so as not to follow on late Edward_R_Murrow's path.

As I said, not surprising:

OverweightManatee goes berserk and blows up a container right next to Spekkio but luckily it only spews smoke.

DU turns around with the intention of throwing a grenade to the hallway when he spots something more threatening:

Awesome. Well, DU threw the bomb right next to the floating brain and runs away, as does DragonFK.

Alien turn.

tactical015.png

tactical016.png

tactical017m.png

tactical018v.png

In other words, the bomb goes off but DOES NOT KILL THE FLOATING BRAIN!

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

The other bomb doesn't kill anyone either. Spekkio gets a blast into his back. YAY.

Everyone is either berkser or in panic, except Stereotypical Villain, who switches AP out and HE in for his gas cannon.

Aliens shoot the door behind him. Bunch of people keep freaking out. SV blasts the scalie WHO DOES NOT DIE and he replies with:

headdesk.gif

Well, DU didn't live long, as he went for Spekkio's cannon, the Floating Brain mowed him down.

Trash dashes for the gun and gets behind some crates. DragonFK tries to avenge DU but to no avail. I can't make it out in the smoke if he even hits the asshole or not.

Alien turn...

Whoa, nothing, except DragonFK and OverweightManatee panic. FUCK YOU MANATEE YOU ARE USELESS!

Whew, two turns of peace. People calm down, pick up their weapons and get moving. CrusaderTemplar primes a proximity mine, next turn he'll throw it at the kitchen where the first scalie hides. DragonFK, Trash and Darth Roxor try to flush out the floating brain and maybe take it down with concentrated fire from 3 Gas Cannons. That's the plan.

Okey, aliens keep hiding, so CT throws the mine and our Tres Musketeers advance.

Still nothing, so naturally Trash panics. But otherwise we'll stick to the plan.

Alien turn:

Note to self, smoke does not hinder aliens visibility as we had previously learned but already forgotten. DragonFK gets shot, drops his bomb, bomb goes boom, Trash and Darth Roxor vaporize in an instant.

Fuck this, it's lost. Time to run away!

JarlFrank and CrusaderTemplar make it into the sub, while OverweightManatee keeps panicking, though it seems that aliens use MC on him constantly. He runs through the dining hall into elevators.

But morale 10 doesn't really help either. After 8 turns of alternating between panic and berserk, he finally succumbs to MC control. Time to lift off and say bye bye.

Rest of the month goes uneventfully - 2 subs are spotted but both are too fast and manage to escape. Then it's end of month:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

We know what THAT means.

Oh well, Aliens 3 - Earth 0.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom