Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discuss builds

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I know build variety isnt the game strongest suit, but i still feel there is enough to warrant some discussion. Since swordplay will always be a big part of Geralt's dps capabilities, i went full red for my first playtrough.

I feel like blue might have potential, but refrained from investing because sign usage is somewhat situational. Swordplay is 100% reliable.

What do you guys think?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Let's be really honest here.. it's a great game where it counts.. but it's still fucking Witcher.. Having combat less shitty then Witcher 2 doesn't mean it's good.
Dump everything into left click quick attacks.. and slam that mouse until the dialogue starts happening again.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Let's be really honest here.. it's a great game where it counts.. but it's still fucking Witcher.. Having combat less shitty then Witcher 2 doesn't mean it's good.
Dump everything into left click quick attacks.. and slam that mouse until the dialogue starts happening again.

There is no excuse for playing with a non-optimal build. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Deep alchemy once you hit the late 20s is where the money's at.

Tier 1: Poisoned blades + acquired tolerance. (Meh, but you need something in tier 1)
Tier 2: Refreshment -- All potions (including the one that resets toxicity) heal you instantly for 25% max vitality. Necessary because swallow becomes useless with the passive +duration on potions in all alchemy skills
Tier 2: Protective coating/Pyrotechnics (meh, but you need to unlock next tier)
Tier 3: Efficiency + Fixative (more oil. Mor eimportantly, way more bombs)
Tier 4: Cluster bombs (the reason you went deep alchemy. 7x damage on your grapeshots)

Dr Strangelob: How I learned ot stop witchering and lob da bombz
Side effects (tier 4) as your 9th alchemy skill because more potions is more gud.

Last 3 skills should probably be in signs so you can have the Axii dialogue stuffie.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Tier 1: Poisoned blades + acquired tolerance. (Meh, but you need something in tier 1)
I think those are actually some of the most useful abilities in the game, definitely when it comes to Tier 1. Acquired tolerance is a must if you want to play with decoctions, and poisoned blades allows you to deal an insane amount of damage to most boss monsters as well as coming in handy in other fights.

My first playthrough was with a bit of a jack-of-all-trades build, with a slight focus on signs towards the end of the game. It was definitely a versatile build and therefore fun to play, but specialization definitely seems like the way to go if you want to go for a really powerful build. Ironically the alchemy mutagens are the least useful ones, which means that it might be worth it to spread a few points around (like the fast attack damage increase and one of the witcher school techniques), whereas with a sword or sign build you'll probably want to focus more heavily on one skill tree to make the most of it by gaining an insane attack power or sign intensity. No doubt that swords, signs and alchemy can all be really powerful if you go deeper into them, though.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Main problem with red build is that red mutagen drops are either buggy or extremely rare atm, which sucks.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
First 13 skill points:

3 delusion
3 aard range
3 aard sweep
1 puppet
3 quen bubble

Next 13 skill points:

5 fast attack damage
3 adrenaline retention
5 fast attack crit

Rest into alch.

I think that's the way to go. You have to hold off on red for a while so you can gather some mutagens and you need to hold off on alch for a long time because you don't start getting good decoctions and enhanced potions until around level 15.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom