Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Colonize Space in Distant Worlds

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do I want to bump this myself or what?
Looks like it. On to page four, then...

spekkio

Arcane
Hey, don't be rude to East-Europeans, dude!

Great LP, Emperor Jarl.
I was a little insecure about it at first, but after you allied with the furries I switched to full-appreciation mode.

:avatard:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Welcome back to another episode of Codexia Conquers the Stars!
Last time, we've changed our government to Utopian Paradise (which means lots of sex for our population) and colonized planets in other solar systems.
Now our Empire looks like this:

OurEmpireResized.png

I've underlined the systems colonized by us. Our Empire is growing! We now own colonies in the Thaneom, Narsillean and Odan systems. And because we have some scalies living on one of our planets, we can colonize volcanic planets (every race has one or more "native planet types" they can live on; continental, swamp and desert can be colonized by everyone, if the colonizing technology is good enough; ice, volcano and ocean only by those races that are adapted to this kind of planet), too.

We've already sent a colony ship to colonize the planet inhabited by Securans, our own race, in yet another different solar system. And we're getting another technology trade offer from the Muunos Mandil, which we refuse because it is too expensive.
The rodent-furry empire, however, makes us a much more appealing offer that we just can't refuse.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_14_46_08.jpg

A free present! For free! That's really really kind of them. Aaaand - we have encountered a new empire! Yet again an empire of furries. As far as I know, those furries are native to Ice Planets, which means that we should really try to get some of them into our empire.
This happens either by conquering them (which wouldn't be that hard because they're weaker than us) or by immigration. Yes, this game has migration - people living on shitty colonies with a negative happiness level can emigrate to other planets, usually planets belonging to their own empire, but sometimes they even migrate to a different empire. Or maybe we could buy one of their planets if we get filthy rich.
And we also get another offer by the frog-people...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_14_56_57.jpg

...which we, naturally, refuse. They want to trade us a technology for one of our mining stations. We're not that retarded. Okay, actually it might be a good deal, but I don't feel like giving up one of our resource-sources for a... uhm, I don't even know what technology that is. Probably an energy reactor for ships.
We politely refuse the offer, BUT

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_14_59_29.jpg

they accept our offer for a free trade agreement, which will benefit both of our empires. We'll now earn a little MOAR money because of this treaty.
One of the furry empires makes us a tech-trade offer, too, which is actually a p. good deal and we accept it. Afterwards we offer them a trade agreement - and they accept!
I can already feel the cash flowing in! :jew:
I'll check if we can make trade agreements with our other friends, too...
wait...
fuck

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_03_54.jpg

Some of our former friends don't like us anymore because, apparently, they're prudes who don't like constant orgies of sex, food and alcohol. The Zenox realm, formerly our best friends, now have a less friendly attitude towards us because we've switched governments - and they don't like our current form of government.

On the other hand, the Miredean and Karatov empires, with whom we've made trade agreements, like us a lot more because of our new style of government (apparently, they like orgies).

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_07_57.jpg

There's also a human empire, and they want to make a trade agreement, too! They like us because they're humans and we're sexy humanoid space chicks. In this game, everyone's a racist and therefore likes empires of their own race much more than empires of other races. Of course, since those guys are humans, we're going to make them our allies later on. They're the best ally we can hope for in our quest to eradicate all furries.

Now we have lots of trade agreements. Well, actually just three, but that's good enough to give us moar moneez. And while we're at it, we can also try to increase our treasury by other means. And what's the best way to earn money? Yes, you guessed right: tourism!
So we'll just check the star-map...

scenic1.jpg

... and look for scenic locations. Every yellow dot shows a scenic location. If we built resort bases there, tourists will come, and we will earn money. Let's check the yellow dot closest to our systems...

scenic2.jpg

A desert moon in the system of Ussos, which gets a scenic bonus for the Rings of Ussos. Planets with nice-looking rings (like our Saturn) give a scenic bonus because they look really fucking cool, and people love stuff that looks really fucking cool.

scenicmoonResized.png

This is the moon we're going to colonize now. The moon itself has a ring, and the planet it's a satellite of also has a ring! No wonder that thing gets a scenic bonus, that's some trippy shit right there.
Let's open the expansion planner window and... hey, I can't find the moon there. Probably because I'm looking for Ussos and the moon's just named VXsomething. Instead of searching for it in the long list, I can also just right-click the moon and choose "build a colony ship and colonize Moon VT241". Shitty name for a moon that looks this awesome.

We're also notified that one of our colony ships has colonized yet another planet in another system. Which means our empire is growing. Let's check how it compares to the others...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_26_27.jpg

FUCK YES
From almost last to fourth! We're improving. We still suck in all the other categories, but that'll be fixed later when we build an army and go conquering.

To make our feeling of success even sweeter, the Muunos Mandil Confederacy, who was previously kinda pissed off with us, has now accepted a trade agreement!
We're growing more and more influential... this is good, very good.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_30_24.jpg

And the tip of the sweet gelato-iceberg is that the frog-people tell us about some important historical place they've discovered.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_32_07.jpg

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_32_22.jpg

Uhm, wait. F2. We've already been told about that place... TWICE! And now they've reminded us of it a third time. Seems that there's something really interesting up there.

Okay. We're going to send an exploration ship to our "northern"most solar system, refuel it on a planet there, and then send it to this interesting place so we can finally find out what this is all about.

Hahaha lol.
We've encountered another empire of frog-people, and their first diplomatic contact is to tell us about EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE everyone has already told us about yet again.

One of our exploration ships is already on its way there, so there's no reason to worry. Soon we will find out about that great :mystery: mystery!

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_39_34.jpg

But while our ship flies there, we're contacted by a bunch of greedy pirates. Usually, pirates charge less than half of that sum as protection fees! We grit our teeth and accept, though. Later on we might forge an alliance with those pirates, which can prove really useful. And we have other things to do right now than to go pirate-hunting.

And, FINALLY:

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_41_22.jpg

Investigate base, or leave base alone? WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT OF COURSE WE WANT TO INVESTIGATE WHY THE FUCK DID WE FLY THERE

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_42_53.jpg

Galactic history revealed! While this doesn't give us any direct bonus, I just love this feature of the game. It adds a huge layer of immersion and mystery to exploration. Now that we've got our exploration vessel that far "north", and there are many stars up there, and we still got most of our fuel left, we're gonna explore all of those. Maybe there'll be a really awesome system there, far away from most other civilizations. A good place to colonize, and if it's only for being a backup colony when our main systems get fucked in a war.

Now let's check on that independent colony of Securans...

colonyFFUUResized.png

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

It has already been colonized by friends of ours! We won't declare war on them cause we have profitable trade going on and they'd kick our asses... but damn! I want that colony for myself!
Let's try to trade for it.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_50_26.jpg

Fuck, it doesn't even appear in the trade screen (this is a question I've always had about games like this, including Civ4: what determines whether a planet/city can be traded or not? It always felt pretty arbitrary to me). We could try buying the other colony they sell, but it's too expensive and we can't afford it.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_54_47.jpg

While raging about this outrageous situation, we're contacted by pirates. They offer us to attack the Zenox, the troll furries who used to be our friends but aren't anymore because they don't like our Orgy Government. Using pirates to attack other empires is a really nice and sneaky way to give them a bit of trouble. They'll never know that it was us who sent the pirates, heh heh heh...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_56_33.jpg

Yes, yes... the attacks will commence immediately... heh heh. Ah, this is beautiful. Checking the diplomacy screen, I notice that the Xenox don't mind our government anymore. Dunno why, but now their relation with us is okay again. We don't care, though. They've trolled us in the past, and now we're going to take revenge by not removing anything from their inventory sending some pirates into their systems.

I'm pretty sure that they won't ever find out about thi...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_15_59_31.jpg

Oh. Fuck. Okay, that was a really heavy hit to our relationship with the toll furries. Damnit. So much for "they'll never find out".
All right. It's on, then. We're going to send a spy to sabotage them! Ha-haah!

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_16_04_37.jpg

That's what you get when you... uhm... discover our devious deeds against you! We're also going to do something really, really evil. We're going to send...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_16_06_05.jpg

...Cleveland Mark Blakemore to incite rebellion in one of their colonies! TAKE THAT BITCHES, TAKE THAT! His constant ramblings about ITZ will surely make those furries annoyed and paranoid enough to start a rebellion.
The other pirate faction, whom we recently paid a protection fee...

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_16_09_42.jpg

... now offer us an alliance for a really cheap price. We're going to accept, of course. With the money we earn, the price they charge is peanuts, and we might benefit from this agreement. Like when we're going to fuck those furry trolls in the ass and decorate our palace with their skins. The queen will surely like a carpet made of Zenox fur.
But I digress. We wanted to explore the F1, which is far away from any civilization.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_16_12_30Res.png

Oh. Apparently, it's not. It's home to some other shitty alien faction.

DistantWorlds2010_04_02_16_13_29.jpg

HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

Yep, that's going to be our first victim. We'll just send our military fleet there, fuck them up and take all their colonies. Bwahaha, they're one of the weakest empires in the whole galaxy. Easy prey for us. How delightful.

And now I'm going to end this chapter with a nice little cliffhanger. Next time, we're going to fall upon those primitive insects like a hawk on its prey. No wait, make that a Reichsadler. Or a Codexbird.
:rpgnazi:

Phew, this is the largest update yet. Going to take a little break now so I'm not sure whether the next update will come today or tomorrow.

Silellak

Cipher
Love it. :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity JF, what's your history with 4X space games, and how would you rank this one so far?

lol @ the last screenshot.

Any chance of the pirates you allied with being so secretive about their secret attacks as the ones that attacked the Zenox? Then again, they attack enemies, so that might not matter so much.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Silellak said:
Out of curiosity JF, what's your history with 4X space games, and how would you rank this one so far?

I played (or at least tried) most of them.
MoO2 was my first and is still my favourite. No other space 4x that came afterwards could match it.

I've also played Space Empires V. I liked it but it never really grabbed me as much as MoO2 did. Loved the race customization of that one. The interface was kinda cumbersome though. I liked the real-time battles.

GalCiv 2 is one of my least favourite 4x. It feels like Civ4 in space, only with smaller maps, less to do (not many resources, most plantes aren't inhabitable), too limited planet management (only about 5 of 30 squares on most planets are buildable, lolwut), research was never as fun as MoO2... generally it felt really bland and there wasn't that much to do.

I've tried getting into Sword of the Stars multiple times, but the very limited (almost non-existant, actually) planet management and a countdown after cklicking "end turn" (what were they thinking?) made the 4x part kinda boring. Battles were pretty awesome though, and I guess I'll give it another chance with the expansions. I don't like over-simplistic planet management, though.

Parallely to Distant Worlds, I'm trying to get into Lost Empire: Immortals. It has an interesting premise, but yet again battles are only automatic and planet management is overly simplistic. It has lots of nice features, but planet management and combat are two very essential things and if they're boring, the game doesn't really manage to grab me.

Recently I've tried Armada 2526, and it's okay. Planet management is a simplified MoO2 style, but there's only one planet to manage per system instead of MoO's many colonizable planets in one system. Better than GalCiv2, Lost Empire and SotS, though. The battles are the main reason I'm playing this, but so far, they've proved to be pretty disappointing. A Total War guy has worked on this game, but it doesn't really show. Meh.

I think I've also tried Imperium Galactica 2 a few years back, but I didn't spend much time with it yet. My overall impression was that it's a decent game.

I never played MoO3, so I dunno about this one.

Distant Worlds is my favourite space 4x since MoO2. It manages to do most things right - especially the first X, eXploration. You can discover ruins on planets, there are pirates and space-monsters (like in MoO2, yay!), there are points of interest like the weapon testing area and the abandoned space station containing historical info we've visited in the LP, and while planet management is rather simplistic compared to MoO2 or Space Empires, it's fun enough since there are many inhabitable planets, and those which aren't inhabitable can be mined for resources (this was one of my main gripes with GalCiv2, uninhabitable planets were just useless 3D balls). Combat is meh, but it's still better than the automatic combat of GalCiv2 or Lost Empire.
Basically, the eXploration aspect is almost perfect, the eXpansion aspect is pretty good, eXploitation is great because of the large amount of different resources, and eXtermination is okay, although it could be better.

Even though it's real-time, it's the best space 4x since MoO2, and the only one that managed to really pull me in, because there's just so much to do.

Rude Dude

Educated
"we instinctively dislike you (-11)"

if they knew how right they are :D

i like this game. later on most alien-races(which are weaker than you) become envious and wait for the player to make a wrong step.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I went ahead and didnt remove a copy of this from an inventory but couldn't really get into it. After dicking around for a little while a bunch of my ships and one of my research stations (wtf?, why does this thing need fuel) ran out of fuel and I couldn't figure out how to either resupply them or automate them so they'd resupply on their own.

Ship designing looked cool though, seems to have a lot of potential for doing cool shit; I noticed that a blue star in one of my systems had a bunch of modifiers including a 200% science bonus. I'm guessing building a research lab there or sending a ship fitted with research labs could be very profitable. I need to run the tutroial or something though, theres a fuckton of stuff in this game to learn.

Ship design has parts for manufacturing, research labs, various resource extractors, TOURISM, a commerce centre, whatever the fuck that does, passenger holds, various scanners/sensors. Which wouldn't be so bad except the stupid interface doesn't let you just rightclick on the shit to find out what it does. Not even a tooltip. My first ship design was a joke: One engine, one shield, plenty of armor and guns. After building it I looked at my existing destroyer design and realized my design was horrible.

The ships seem so capable of doing shit bases can do it makes me wonder if it'd be possible to play as a sort of nomadic empire, building pretty much everything on mobile construction yards, reserching with mobile vessels, etc. Would be cool to just march your whole fucking empire onto an enemy's homeworld and start cranking out warships from there.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Play the tutorial. Read the in-built wiki (easily accessible by clicking the question mark button near the minimap at the bottom right corner). After that, just play for a while and explore. For fuel, you need to harvest that blue gas that is available on some gas giants.

Once you understand how to keep your empire going, it's really fun. The tutorial is obligatory, without it you don't know what the fuck to do.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm buying this game. You've sold it to me.

But maybe, just maybe, I should wait a couple of days. There's talk about patches and whatnot, want to benefit fully from those, not get aggravated too much by memory-leak bugs.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Shit, this does look pretty damn awesome. Could this be the long lost pretender to the MOO2 throne? If they do patch it up this might be the second indie game in a few months which I'll buy. Who says intelligent pc gaming is dead?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Frau Bishop said:
We're also going to do something really, really evil. We're going to send...
:lol:

Update tomorrow? What the fuck are you talking about?
We want Dacshii blood and we want it now!

Yes, tomorrow. I'm too lazy right now, but I'm gonna bring on multiple updates tomorrow.

Also, awesome pic, Luzur. Who painted that?

Raapys

Arcane
Very cool LP, JF!

Just got my own game ruined because of the 'saved game too large' bug, so the game wouldn't load it anymore. For anyone considering starting a game themselves, don't use any of the three largest galaxy sizes before the next patch! Once most of the planets are colonized, the game will run out of memory when trying to load the saved game( regardless of RAM ).

As far as I'm concerned, I'd probably rank the games somethink like this: MoO = MoO2 > MoO3(modded ) > DW > All others.

It has alot of potential, and the galaxy history and 'mystery' places are p.neat. Ship design is fine. Managing colonies leaves some to be desired, but it's made up for with the space base construction and mining stuff.

However, research is rather boring, and you reach the end of the tech tree too quickly. Also, keeping military ships supplied can be a real pain in the ass; definitely put at least one 'energy collector' on all base and ship designs( energy collection should be higher than 'static energy usage' ) so they don't use fuel when standing still, and add one or more additional fuel tanks to the original AI designs so they don't have to resupply constantly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Raapys said:
Also, keeping military ships supplied can be a real pain in the ass; definitely put at least one 'energy collector' on all base and ship designs( energy collection should be higher than 'static energy usage' ) so they don't use fuel when standing still, and add one or more additional fuel tanks to the original AI designs so they don't have to resupply constantly.

I'm gonna design all the battleships by myself when I'm gearing up for war.
What would Codexia be without self-designed ships with names such as "Multiheaded Dick", "Penetrator" or "Cockfighter"?

Silellak

Cipher
JarlFrank said:
Raapys said:
Also, keeping military ships supplied can be a real pain in the ass; definitely put at least one 'energy collector' on all base and ship designs( energy collection should be higher than 'static energy usage' ) so they don't use fuel when standing still, and add one or more additional fuel tanks to the original AI designs so they don't have to resupply constantly.

I'm gonna design all the battleships by myself when I'm gearing up for war.
What would Codexia be without self-designed ships with names such as "Multiheaded Dick", "Penetrator" or "Cockfighter"?
"Honourblade"

dragonfk

Erudite
Raapys said:
Very cool LP, JF!

Just got my own game ruined because of the 'saved game too large' bug, so the game wouldn't load it anymore. For anyone considering starting a game themselves, don't use any of the three largest galaxy sizes before the next patch! Once most of the planets are colonized, the game will run out of memory when trying to load the saved game( regardless of RAM ).

As far as I'm concerned, I'd probably rank the games somethink like this: MoO = MoO2 > MoO3(modded ) > DW > All others.

It has alot of potential, and the galaxy history and 'mystery' places are p.neat. Ship design is fine. Managing colonies leaves some to be desired, but it's made up for with the space base construction and mining stuff.

However, research is rather boring, and you reach the end of the tech tree too quickly. Also, keeping military ships supplied can be a real pain in the ass; definitely put at least one 'energy collector' on all base and ship designs( energy collection should be higher than 'static energy usage' ) so they don't use fuel when standing still, and add one or more additional fuel tanks to the original AI designs so they don't have to resupply constantly.

What mods did you use with MoO3? And why do you consider it superior to Distant Worlds?

Also, MOAR!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom