Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's collect all adventure game cross-references

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Probably due to their story-driven and generally humorous nature, adventure games have a tendency to contain more cross-game references and homages than games from any other genre. I have a particular fondness for them, so let's collect as many of these as we can!

Many of these references and jokes would completely fly past you if you're not familiar with the referenced titles, e.g. the threat of being eaten by a grue in a dark room makes zero sense, unless you had spent some quality-time with the Zork series of games before.

Arguably, the Space Quest series is the gold-medal winner when it comes to referencing pretty much every other Sierra and LucasArts game in existence that came before them. So one basic (and good) answer would be to just play all Sierra and LucasArts games in chronological order. But here I'm more after identifying influental titles from the pre-Sierra era; most of these titles are probably text-only adventures.

Hopefully this effort will result in a list of classic games one could play to maximise their chances of understanding these in-jokes and references; kind of a recommended "basic education programme" for :obviously: adventure gamers!

What counts
  • References from any adventure game (the referenced game *must* be an adventure game, but the title the reference appears in can be of any genre)
  • Anything that makes you remember the referenced game(s) -- dialogue, story, item descriptions, graphics, music, sound, mechanics, etc.
What does NOT count
  • Purely cultural references (they would be too numerous to mention)
  • Easter Eggs (but if an Easter Egg happens to be a reference as well, that's fine)
Please name the referenced game(s) as well, and use spoiler tags. Okay, I'll start!

References

Book of Unwritten Tales, The

• LucasArts Indy games reference
    In the Indiana Jones style cave scene there's a dialog option to sell fine leather jackets.
Day of the Tentacle
  • Maniac Mansion reference
    You can play Maniac Mansion on the computer (this is a combined Easter Egg + reference).
Hitman (2016)
  • Monkey Island reference
    You can find Guybrush Threewood's grave in the Sapienza cemetery.
KGB
  • Maniac Mansion reference
    The old chainsaw and fuel joke on the boat.
Maniac Mansion
  • Zak McKracken reference
    There is Zak McKracken poster in the game room in later versions of the game.
Night Shift (1990)
  • LucasArts references
    The game features characters from Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken.
Pawn, The (1985)
  • References most other previous adventures
    This first Magnetic Scrolls adventure was famous for subverting and making fun of genre conventions and tropes that got a bit stale by the mid-80s.
Secret of Monkey Island, The
  • Loom references
    There's a guy wearing an "Ask me about Loom" button in the Scumm Bar, and unsurprisingly... you can ask him about Loom!
    When Guybrush falls on his head in the circus after the cannonball incident, for a moment he thinks he's Bobbin Threadbare (protagonist of Loom).
  • Zak McKracken reference
    The three-headed monkey is a possible reference/continuation of the two-headed squirrel thing from Zak McKracken.
  • Sierra reference
    It is possible to fall and "die" on Monkey Island in one of the jungle scenes. A typical Sierra-style death-dialog appears, then Guybrush springs back to life.
Witcher 3
  • Secret of Monkey Island reference
    You can insult-fight a guy called Mancomb in one the DLCs.

Recommended games

Play these games in order to maximise your chances of catching adventure game references:
  • Adventure (1977 Crowther/Woods version)
  • Zork I: The Great Underground Empire (1980 Infocom version)
  • Pawn, The (1985)
  • All Sierra and LucasArts adventures in release order (maybe expand this into a list later)

Last edited:

Drop Duck

Learned
Sometimes when I browse YouTube since I watch gaming channels from time to time I get suggested these long winded videos about references in video games. I always thank my lucky star that I didn't grow up geeky enough to waste my time on that. You have to wonder about the psychology behind it, who in their right mind would instead of picking up a hobby, work longer hours, learn new things or do anything productive with their time instead madly obsess over not just trivia, but the most obscenely useless video gaming trivia?

Remembering Trekkies that could quote Star Trek episodes on demand back when the show was still popular doesn't even compare to this. Could be that I'm too old for this but I don't understand the significance of these lists. This is what it sounds like to me: "Someone at CDProjekt played Monkey Island growing up and put in a reference, wow! This is important! Looking up all these cases in video games is a worthwhile spending of my limited time on Earth. This is what it means to be culturally enriched."

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Could be that I'm too old for this but I don't understand the significance of these lists.
Some people enjoy discovering such references, some people don't. If you fall into the latter camp, you know what to do: find something else that you do enjoy. This is true for anything, really.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Would you mind explaining the appeal? You made the thread so sell it.
No.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom