Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's all get horribly raped in Grimrock

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What's this then? Another thread I'll likely abandon just as things start getting good? Most likely! :troll:

Legend of Grimrock is a very recently released "blobber" in which you control a party of heroes as they explore monotonous dungeons, solve puzzles, kill stuff and the their things. As such, this will be a blind LP. It's real time(ish) with enemies attacking but you can dodge them to evade damage. As such, since everythign moves in square sof roughtl10ft, most fights are sort of like waltzes, with you doing damage, then quickly stepping out of the way before receiving any yourself.
fa0NW.jpg

Since we are badasses, we will be playing on hard. I opt to make my own party of Codexians, thus ensuring this LP will have 4 teaders besides myself.
7EpqF.jpg

Thecreate new character screen. You have a race, a class, 4 attributes, 1-4 skill points (depending on race) to spend on skills (different for each class) and 2 traits. Fairly barebones. As you level up, you get more skill points. At specific ranks you gain extra abilities. Sadly, you can only see the first 2-3 on character generation. :decline:
vIEWz.jpg

Noparty is complete without a giant manly BROBERT to Regen health and Pop moles.
Xuw0S.jpg

Magic will be left in the capable hands of the Codexes resident dungeon mistress. Hopefully her vast experience with this style of game will rub off on the rest of the party and see them make it past level 1 alive.
JJftY.jpg

While there aren't any locks to pick per se, rogues get access to ranged weapons eventyally. Since your party moves in a 2x2 blob, only ranged weapons, magic or spears will be able to hit enemies from the back row.
OvN0t.jpg

And finally, Roxorowskij will double as a second meat shield in the front row. Slightly less attack damage than BROBERT, but higher evasion.
n4WCp.jpg

jiECK.jpg

6FPXV.jpg

TJih1.jpg

pQlpP.jpg

z4fIM.jpg

WGYwg.jpg

L1nq4.jpg

6FqMh.jpg

And so majestic raep begins. Stay tuned for actual gameplay and possibly larger screenshots.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The screenshots could be a little bigger. As it is, I'm having trouble reading the text.

Also, what is Old School Mode and why didn't you select it? :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Old school mode disables the map. Since we'll be wanting those to make sense of where the group has been for the LP (as I'm not screenshotting every cell) we're leaving this on. My preorder package came with stylish graph paper to draw your own maps on.
Screenshots will be bigger going forward.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Upate #1: In which the first level is cleared.

Movement is fairly straightforward. WASD moves your party one cell, Q/E rotates you 90 degrees. Clicking stuff in the invironment manipulates it. 1-4 opens inventory/stat screens for your party members. The cell is fairly dark and seems to have only one exit, so let's head there.
VsZ7x.jpg

Someone apparently scribbled on the wall. clicking scribbles reads them. It's our first riddle! :roll:
IQBEa.jpg

Yep. Picking up the torch opens the cell door. Also makes thigns rather dark. We move the fighters to the front and give Bee the torch since she only needs one hand free to cast Majicks
dv5W8.jpg

y8Fw6.jpg

PdmJF.jpg

This is very much a tutorial corridor. Next up is a gate with a pullchain. pulling the chain opens the gate.
eMncH.jpg

YF158.jpg

Loot abounds. We find some clothing for protection (apparently up until this point everyone were naked. Now BROBERT isn't), as well as a cudgel for BROBERT. Turns out torchs can be used as weapons as well.
0M4sZ.jpg

LFfcp.jpg

BPc9F.jpg

jWpnB.jpg

8qadG.jpg

2yDoY.jpg

rS3GG.jpg

Our exploration so far.
q7NIq.jpg

Next up we find a pressure plate and another closed door.
yEkOd.jpg

Stepping on it opens the door for us :)
9DOSe.jpg

But as soon as we leave it, the door slams shut :(
EW9ek.jpg

Fortunately, dropping something from your inventory on the pressur eplate will substitute for standign on it. For this reason I try to keep a few rocks in my inventory.
OC0KX.jpg

We find a key and a corresponding door to use it on
IHhY8.jpg

1Q09X.jpg

is2E3.jpg

And another door. Sadly, our key is consumed once used. We'll have to find another somewhere.
qnjS2.jpg

A bit of exploration yields another scribble. Loose rock, huh?
ESp5a.jpg

WxYsB.jpg

Looking at the walls we notice one looks slightly different. Clicking the broken part of the brick makes a wall slide open. :smug:
k6z75.jpg

EgmSC.jpg

mvhAQ.jpg

We find anothe rkey that matches the door we found earlier.
RW7z2.jpg

And our first enemy! A dread snail! Attackign works by right-clicking. In the case of Crooked Be, right-clicking her spellcasting hand opens a page of 9 runes. Activating some of these will allow her to cast several spells, depending on her skill in the corresponding categories. I messed about with this blindly in an earlier test so I know this one is the first ice mage spell.
B44OD.jpg

:incline:
SkgFh.jpg

Our first enemy defeated. BROBERT took a small scratch as I was too slow to dodge one of the attacks.
zTTjt.jpg

More loot is acquired.
jo4s8.jpg

QST28.jpg

jNYOQ.jpg

2RMm5.jpg

As well as a throwing knife for spekkio so he can start being useful from the back row.
shMj9.jpg

More snails up ahead. Fortunately, the long corridor is a perfect fit for Bees Ice Shards, as the spell hits all cells in a line until it reaches a wall.

c828C.jpg

xWGSE.jpg

:yeah:
KUuan.jpg

Progress report.
mRPt8.jpg

More loot is acquired
hBOqO.jpg

Including something only someone secure in his masculinity like BROBERT would ever consider wearing.
jXnqO.jpg

Progress is impeded by a trapdoor.

GUYmd.jpg

However, taking a rock and placing it in the upper half of the screen tosses it, which in turn triggers the touchplate and closes the trapdoor.
uxSZ7.jpg

YSld9.jpg

Which lets us grab the key for this door.
TVhbk.jpg

I sense a puzzle may be incoming
FHb1r.jpg

Progress so far.
pkUiP.jpg

Ignoreing the face for now, we explore the side corridors. There's a lever here, but sounds around the corner means we probably shouldn't pull it yet.
GDBPn.jpg

Trapdoor and many, many snails.
z4oGW.jpg

Pulling the lever closes the trapdoor. I have a cunning plan...
uyBG4.jpg

Er aggro one of the snails to make it chase us
ardsQ.jpg

Run back across the trapdoor until it walks unto it
9OKiU.jpg

And...
zdSj5.jpg

:smug:
DN8g9.jpg

Process repeated a bunch of times.
RHOjv.jpg

Loot time. We find our first magic scroll. You can cast spells without knowing them by mucking about with the runes. But in case you got this far without figuring the spell out, it tells you what skill rank(s) you need and what runes to activate.
Utm6e.jpg

4nHJg.jpg

BROBERT is priority #1 for extra protection, since Roxorowskij has higher evasion.
WxhRp.jpg

In the cell with the snails we discover a blue gem.
csUQ2.jpg

There is also a switch here which opens the cell door
jzglc.jpg

And a touchplate immediately before it that closes it again. The touchplate on the other side opens the door however, and placing anything from your inventory on it through the bars works. If you had weighed it down before entering the cell, you'd have to use the secret switch to get out.
2HoUo.jpg

BXFOq.jpg

iYBSj.jpg

SogeY.jpg

Hrm. Blue gem. Statue head. This is fairly obvious.
ZxW0d.jpg

H4gY7.jpg

Nothing happens. We'll explore the other side passage and see if we can find another.
ISSIl.jpg

Mushroom thingies. Lots of them.
2co4R.jpg

Lots of waltz-time fightign ensues. The corridor has too many corners for bees spell to effectively hit more than one at a time.
zJBpM.jpg

3R51C.jpg

gVIA9.jpg

Second gem is located. It's at the back of the cell however, so we can't reach it through the bars. Also, note the weaird brick ont he right wall inside the cell.
JXBT7.jpg

Further exploration finds us a lever and a plant. Lever (predictably) opens the cell with the gem.
ssEG0.jpg

The plant is our first alchemy ingredient. We can't use it yet however.
zBHg8.jpg

Z0a8B.jpg

hvihG.jpg

Hello mister switch. Wonder what you do.
fUi9n.jpg

AHA!
Fuhu1.jpg

Secret get! Knife and some more alchemy ingredients.
2fjHB.jpg

4zPJr.jpg

Our torch has also just about burnt out. Oops.
Qvc7f.jpg

fortunately I liberated a bunch of them from sconces earlier. Torches and food are two things you can never have enough of.
7Lduc.jpg

Returning the secondd gem to the face makes the door slide open
r1nSd.jpg

:what:
OaB7r.jpg

the skeleton is quite tough and attacks very quickly with his spear. Lots of waltzing ensues
9pVyt.jpg

aHcrM.jpg

BROBERT upgrades his evasion. The spear is a reach weapon, meaning Spekkmeister can attack with it from the back row.
dm3ln.jpg

hcGIf.jpg

Past the skeleton is a metal door.
L0RKo.jpg

And a scroll with a PROTIP that we should totally open it.
LvpVP.jpg

A switch is found on one of the nearby walls but doesn't seem to do anything.
MYT0Q.jpg

HKesk.jpg

The second switch does the trick however.
NAdFM.jpg

Magic wang for Bee!
Jq51O.jpg

dlgay.jpg

d5DwE.jpg

We encounter a giant blue glowign rock, which heals us and saves the game. If anyone had died so far, it would also ressurect dead party members. Once used, it fades and becomes inert.
g4e9p.jpg

hshkK.jpg

We find another magic scroll. Since bee has no ranks in earth magic, she can't cast this.
FktyY.jpg

And the stairs down to second level.
N8LQQ.jpg

A quick review of the first level again before we wrap up this update.
LO0ap.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
Nice LP, I missed this game for some reason. I thought it was one of those cartoony types, but it looks sexy as hell!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like the graphics and gameplay so far. But my hands are full. :salute:
Also, I dislike the anti-social aspect of dungeon crawler. ;)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Originally I thought the very samey dungeon graphics would be a turn-off for me. But so far I'm really immersed in this. The sound is quite good and the very, very deadly enemies means that there's a genuine sense of dread when you hear shuffling footsteps down the corridor. the puzzles so far have all been very simple but I still felt very smug about the snails and trapdoor one in last update, as well as one that'll be in the next one. I have been DISCUSSing this with a friend I talked into getting the game over skype. He's a bit furthe ron than I am and it sounds like the puzzle difficulty ramps up considerably soon. So far I'm really enjoying myself and I heartily reccomend anyone who likes old-school dungeon crawls to give this a go.

The fighting mechanics are interesting. At first glance it feels weird to attack+sidestep to negate damage. But there's a weird, almost dance-like elegance to the fights. especialyl when 2+ enemies are involved, as it requires quite a bit of spatial awareness not to get cornered and subsequently raped.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Great LP so far. I don't want to spoil anything, it's just some gameplay stuff but I'll still give you the chance not to read it so you can discover it yourself if you want to:

You will most likely want to fall down these trapdoors before closing them (some of them can't be opened again) since they usually lead to rooms you cannot access in the next level. You will take falling damage though. There's some great items hidden that way.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Update 2, in which most of level 2 is explored

Heading down the stairs I notice BROBERT is feelign quite peckish, so I top everyones food-o-meter up with delicious snail meat.
bOvuB.jpg

yrxWf.jpg

Slithering sounds alert is to a nearby cell with snails. Our torch slowly burns out as we fight them.
GuLAz.jpg

41F1v.jpg

But both BROBERT and Roxorowskij gain a level from the fightan! :incline:
X511R.jpg

Here are the full skill trees available to fighters. BROBERT will focus on getting his armor stat up so we can equip things that'll make him tankier. Meanwhile, Roxorowskij levels his athletics for the vitality bonus. Hit points are not gained retroactively when it goes up, so it's worth investing in this early (I think).
Qd0vt.jpg

yGzMr.jpg

61bcn.jpg

1Ty70.jpg

FL1R1.jpg

RZ2Lf.jpg

We find our first hat. As always BROBERT gets the cool stuff first.
tnQPx.jpg

uGXQI.jpg

Shortly after, more snails see Spekkmeister and Crooked Bee join the glorious heights of level 2. As a rogue, Spekkmeister will focus on missile weapons. Even though we have yet to find any.
K7ETp.jpg

UpXeu.jpg

2qOy6.jpg

OIW1j.jpg

SP30O.jpg

oS1UM.jpg

Meanwhile, Bee gets access to several schools of magic. I notice rank 5 spellcraft will make 2 additional spells available to her(!). So she grabs that immediately.
4UVkN.jpg

JvJQV.jpg

fA3ug.jpg

1VsNf.jpg

ZcR8p.jpg

vXiW8.jpg

T4l5W.jpg

Only a short distance into level 2 and we're already level 2. :incline: Further exploration ensues.
yxomx.jpg

PfDvP.jpg

IxADR.jpg

4Tsqh.jpg

kqxi1.jpg

We meet a new enemy. These tiny buggers are a real pain in the ass. They fling acid projectiles that are best avoided through standing at a corner, then immediately sidestepping out of the way when it attacks and back again before it can move forward.
I0Kio.jpg

Cz3v5.jpg

I mistimed it a few times. The projectiles hit all party members for quite a lot of damage.
yFjyC.jpg

XSdCE.jpg

Past the fungi forces we find a key and a compass. The compass is actually pretty neat, as the icon in your inventory changes as you change facing. If you're playing on old school mode (we aren't) this should help your maps sort-of correspond to what's actually in the game. Hands up everyone who suspects Bee is getting slightly moist at the thought of having to draw her own maps again.
WrPOt.jpg

xX7PL.jpg

GSewh.jpg

nz5WL.jpg

We also find a truly codexian weapon, elevating ourselves to a machete raep gang :obviously:
fu1nq.jpg

Since it's possible to close the door from within, this seems like a safe place to rest and we're low on hitpoints. Zzzzz...
3i7Fh.jpg

3SdPV.jpg

...Huh?
hgSCW.jpg

Vzx5e.jpg

PSOVM.jpg

uSlPA.jpg

BvgHQ.jpg

EbgjP.jpg

zfBaQ.jpg

5q5u9.jpg

The plot thickens! I also realized I could place notes on the map. I'll try to remember ot do so to make this LP easier to follow.
2pHES.jpg

Xf8bN.jpg

We find another scribble on the wall. Shelter sounds good.
Pc0SN.jpg

Immediately left of the scribble there's an empty torch sconce. Putting a torch in it makes a secret door slide open.
2lfbg.jpg

DqdcD.jpg

WIJDM.jpg

A pretty sweet helmet. But -10 evasion if you don't have heavy armor ptoficiency is pretty harsh. We'll hang onto this until BROBERT does.
rwCni.jpg

Headed into the cells we find snails which are quickly dispatched.
s84m8.jpg

There is also a cell which contains stuffies.
i1ZvY.jpg

LBNv6.jpg

Light armor (BROBERT will be able to equip this next level at no penalty) and a key underneath. We can't quite reach the arrows. I couldn't find any obvious buttons or levers to open the bars.
R2FBx.jpg

A bit further down the corridor we find a room with a door and two touchpålates. Flapping sounds are heard from behind.
xAm9A.jpg

Hmmm. There's a side corridor extending to immediately behind the LEWT cell. I wonder...
MVSQF.jpg

Yep!
D70eK.jpg

:smug:
P8cfa.jpg

Poison arrows for Spekkmeister. Now all we gotta do is find you a bow
nqRa4.jpg

Placing rocks on the two pressure plates opens the foor. the flapping sounds turned out to be this ugly bird-thingie. It moves one square forward wheneve rit attacks, so you can't avoid it by stepping backwards. Maneuvering into a 2x2 (or bigger) room and sidestepping works fine however.
zExTn.jpg

A bit further down the corridor is another save point.
hrOOb.jpg

The scribble here says no weapons allowed inside. I tried screenshottign the translation a few times, but Fraps wouldn't cooperate.
yWqJ8.jpg

Placing a spare weapon in the alcove next to the scribble opens the gate. Dont' place a weapon you're actually using here, since there are snails immediately inside.
MeoWv.jpg

oLxcK.jpg

A little loot in here and a switch
tp4xL.jpg

That opens a secret door and gives us Pointy shoes! Those should probably go to the rogue.
hpgMy.jpg

1wvaj.jpg

5NizD.jpg

Exploring on we find a strange glow.
CjYdh.jpg

And this 3x3 room with a touchplate.
3szZi.jpg

Scribbles say "Enter thy grave!" Obvious trap is obvious.
kGW91.jpg

14iLf.jpg

Stepping a few squares back and tossing a rock into the room makes a switch visible and the gate slam shut.
MaTDG.jpg

Secret doors open inside the room and more skeletons step out. Had we walked in there they would probably have made short work of us. Fortunately, we can now face them in a long, narrow corridor with Bees ice shards spell.
zYckQ.jpg

Pushing the button next to the bars opens them and waltz-time ensues.
8xHW3.jpg

SM7Dk.jpg

Db7MG.jpg

RpqtB.jpg

Most interesting loot we find in the room is a magic scroll that explins how bees spell works if we hadn't figured it out by ourselves already.
Gaca7.jpg

Progress so far.
UJlFx.jpg

Stepping into the glowy area teleports us someplace else.
YPRaH.jpg

Dxjop.jpg

OPHwY.jpg

A short corridor with cells on either side. One of them contains a monster.
zQNdQ.jpg

Another a bag -- more interesting.
HtRPY.jpg

There's also a switch here. Pressing it fills all of the cells with a teleportation glow.
FAkWo.jpg

Accidentally released the skeleton while messing wit the button. It doesn't follow you through teleporters, so you can cheese the fight by backing up to the entrance teleporter and jumping back and forth.
c4s10.jpg

A few more button presses shunts the bag we found in the cells out to us.
69BM8.jpg

It contains another key as well as some food and a helmet.
wi7k5.jpg

With 2 keys found we cna now open the gates to the save gem.
pBs7P.jpg

ANMyE.jpg

Another 2 keyholes in the wall behind the gem and a door on either side. We pick one at random which leads us into a largeish empty room.
hwq4E.jpg

At the back of the room we find a switch-brick which causes--
9zIov.jpg

Holy fuck! Well, you can't really see this in a screensht, but my entire screen was shaking as if the dungeon was hit by an earthquake before I pressed the stone. I nearly jumped out of my chair.
h4Wwx.jpg

Anyway, pressing the switch makes a secret door slide open. the alcove contains another switch.
TPZpa.jpg

Which makes another secret door slide open. There's a monster behind this one.
10OGM.jpg

Kiling it reveals another switch... Which makes a final door slide open, behind which is a key.
amyeL.jpg

SQqoH.jpg

It fits the lock near the save gem.
ndcUo.jpg

N4bPZ.jpg

Headed down th eother side corridor we reach a teleport glow.
lNGHc.jpg

Stepping into it just shunts us back to the cell wecame from however. Clearly another approach is needed.
I7wt5.jpg

11UOJ.jpg

Turning around to leave, I spot a hidden switch. It turns off the teleport glow, but only for a few seconds. You have to press it then immediately run backwards, as taking time to rotate means you won't step past the glow befor eit reappears.
bgcje.jpg

7RjH2.jpg

jZDvQ.jpg

A trapdoor with a trigger plate on the other side. We toss a rock over.
3N2OL.jpg

g8ztL.jpg

More monsters on the other side results in everyone but bee levelling up. WE also find a pretty spiffy hand axe for BROBERT, which'll allow him to attack faster than with the spear he looted off a skeleton. We also find a key.
kIWL0.jpg

BROBERT levels his armor skill enough to equip leather armor without penalty. The remaining point is put into axes.
GU1Vf.jpg

Meanwhile, Roxorowskij spreads his points between Athletics, Armors and swords Machete.
klt7u.jpg

The Spekkmeister continues pumping his missile weapons. Hopefully I'll find a bow for him soon.
2a7v4.jpg

lXzhl.jpg

Returning to Comrade Save Stone we slot the second key and pass within to a teleport glow.
u5NPI.jpg

We find another magic scroll. Bee has nowhere near enough Earth majicks to cast this however.
9ytLE.jpg

Progress update. Looks like the level may be pretty much done.
9qzZy.jpg

We find another hidden switch for a secret door.
LHan7.jpg

Mushroom men within.
xtFwX.jpg

Which prompts a level up. Bee grabs another 4 ranks in ice magic for spell access.
fwZtO.jpg

Exploration continues.
qH8Tz.jpg

We run into even more mushroom men. Dispatching them we find a leverl.
mHVit.jpg

JYmNs.jpg

which releases acid-spitting mushrooms! :rage:
Sadly, I back into a corner and get trapped while they melt our faces. RIP Codexian party
t2kwM.jpg

C03KZ.jpg

And thus we reach our first TPK. More updates later.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The save rocks respawn, so you can go back and heal up if you need it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The save rocks respawn, so you can go back and heal up if you need it.
Yeah, I realized that. But I only rarely bother spamming saves. It ruins my immershuns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom