Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let us play Nox.

Which class will our hero aspire to become?

• Warrior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conjurer

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Wizard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General Discussion Forum Moderator

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Radisshu said:
this game actually looks pretty fun (in a mindless way), though I don't see the point of making a diablo clone that won't let you control your character's leveling.

There's still a sense of progress in the game, but its hard to explain. All the items and enemies are just well placed I guess.

If you can get your hands on it, do so, its a very fun game.

Kraszu

Prophet
Fights are more fun in nox then in diablo, there is much more gameplay variety in general. Also each class have some parts of the game diferent.

Durwyn

Prophet
Nox rocks. It a mindless and simple h&s, but damn... what a fun game it is... Especialy the warriors bulls charge (or whatever is it called) never gets old

Dire Roach

Prophet
BethesdaLove said:
Dire Roach is a nigga himself!
It's been a few months since I last ate watermelon, but I do eat fried chicken around five times a week. :oops:

Nox is not very similar at all to Diablo other than being an isometric hack & slash game. There is no grinding or loot farming in this game since monsters do not respawn or drop random loot. The gameplay style "progresses" whenever you get certain new spells and weapons that change the way you play quite a bit. Halfway through the game, for example, warriors get a harpoon ability that lets them hook on to enemies and reel them in, almost exactly like Mortal Kombat's Scorpion's signature move.

I think the reason why not many people bothered to play it when it came out was because it was released amongst a slew of many other really bad isometric action RPGs, although I can't really remember any of their names at the moment.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I remember when I bought this game, being on an online game playing kick thinking that it'd be awfully fun to play a pseudo-non-Diablo-action-rpg online. Boy was I ever wrong. The servers back then were full of ADHD whackos(LOTS of players on the servers though!!) and the few maps got old FAST.

Never did get around to trying the SP game as it got old fast online, then I forgot about it an unistalled it, sort of like Cossacks! (HORRIBLE AI).

I also seem to remember that at the time, I thought that the intro reminded me of a couple of the Ultima intros, a little... so maybe that also made me depressed when I actually got into the game as well as the depressing MP aspect.

Fenril

Scholar
The game handles the basic combat gameplay aspect better than any of the diablos, except for the fighter theres a good variety of skills that are actually acessible for each character on any game which is another plus.

A nice choice by the way was the right click controlled movement with the emphasis on the facing of the character, kind of like what ultima online should have had for melee.

Norfleet

Dire Roach said:
Halfway through the game, for example, warriors get a harpoon ability that lets them hook on to enemies and reel them in, almost exactly like Mortal Kombat's Scorpion's signature move.
Heh, I remember that ability, and shouting "GET OVER HERE!" like Scorpion every time I used it on one of those cowardly fleeing wizards drag them over so I could pummel them.

DaveO

Erudite
I got thru this game, although the later chapters were a bit of strain to stay motivated. I did get a nice recharging fireball staff and I remember a mage battle being a bit frustrating. Other than those memories, nothing really makes this game stand out to make it worth playing more than once.

stonebro

Novice
It was a meh game then, and it's a meh game now.

I played through it at least twice with all characters though (well, all three of them). The game was supposedly nonlinear; but each of the classes only gave a slightly different linear game. Although you did get to see a few new locations pr. class.

Combat was okay I guess, pretty critical since it's about 95% of the game. However you could defeat just about anything with hit-and-run tactics, which took away most of the difficulty in the later stages of the game. Remember those massive warhammer-wielding vampire-things in the final act? Tell me you didn't defeat them with 10 minutes of hit-and-running.

Them and those black cthulhu-like things that hit like nuclear subs.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Welcome back to this episode of Let's Play Nox, in which we learn that monsters like to be touched inappropriately.

cap001.jpg

"What is your goal, do you remember? Aldwyn is your goal! You cannot undertake your sacred conjurer studies without him! To find Aldwyn in a village of conjurers might require you to know the village better, so it knows YOU so to speak, eh? It wouldn't hurt to get to know the mayor since you'll need his permission to leave Ix when you're ready to go. But above all, keep your mind on the goal, lad: Aldwyn. Find Aldwyn!"

Holy shit, is that the captain's voice I hear in my head? Is he some sort of telepath?! Oh captain, my captain, I swear I won't tell anyone you're a boy-lover! Just get out of my head, please!

cap002.jpg

This is Ix. I sense some kind of commotion up ahead.

cap006.jpg

Bah. Just some emo faggot being an attention whore.

cap007.jpg

He starts summoning a big black spider. No one really seems to care until...

cap008.jpg

The spider starts moving and scares away the womyns. It won't be the only black beast they will see today if I play my cards right...

cap011.jpg

Two villagers start beating the shit out of the emofag. He spouts classist insults as he runs away. I follow the action as soon as my cutscene paralysis wears off.

cap013.jpg

Shit man, that's some nasty green infection you got there on your face. You should put your head in a pot of boiling water or something to make the pus comes out. Hey, what's that behind the gate I just passed by?

cap015.jpg

Do I look like someone who wants to enter an archery contest? I don't even know where I could get a bow. Let's go to the tavern and find us some generic side quests and rumors.

cap016.jpg

Wow, either someone beat the shit out of this guy recently or this whole village is inbred to the point of monstruosity. I really hope it's the former 'cause otherwise I'm not looking forward to meeting the ladies around here.

cap019.jpg

Easy money, huh? Well I AM genetically predisposed to excel at any kind of sport. Show me what you got to drink.

cap020.jpg

Cider? Aigh't, looks cheap enough. Let's get drunk off that shit!

cap021.jpg

I feel "a bit disoriented." That question mark icon on the middle left edge of the screen means I gained the "confused" status. I can't move anywhere in a straight line. Luckily, it wears off after a few seconds. Did that shit just turn me into one of them bi-sexuals? Note to self: avoid drinking at parties while in Nox. Let's see if that ho over there wants some brown sugar.

cap022a.jpg

What's wrong baby? You ain't scared of seeing a big brown one-eyed monster, are ya? Maybe your friend over there is more willing to take the job.

cap022.jpg

What?! You racist cunt! I better not see you wandering alone in an alley or I'll go and force my horse cock down your throat! Fuck you, bitches, time for me to jerk off in the privacy of my own room.

cap023.jpg

I blow my load all over the walls and furniture. Some of it lands on my t-shirt so I change to a "medieval" shirt someone left in the trunk. One of those damn housekeeping ladies opens the door to my room without knocking. Time for me to GTFO and see the rest of the town.

cap024.jpg

I bust into several people's houses to take their gold and medieval pants. It ain't an RPG if you ain't living the Thug Life.

cap025.jpg

Oh right, Aldwyn. Almost forgot about the old spider molester. Why the fuck don't the guards just kill the fucking spiders? I'll head on over to see the old man as soon as I check out the parts of the town I haven't explored yet.

cap026.jpg

He likes my face... That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! 100 gold is a big amount at the moment though, so I'll pass for now.

cap029.jpg

The magic shop has some nice new spells for sale, but they're also out of my price range.

cap026a.jpg

Holy shit, 500 gold to buy a legit bow at the general store? Fuck that, I'm definitely gonna pirate that bow!

cap027.jpg

Me? Trouble? I ain't done jack shit! All this stuff I'm carrying? I found it in a cave! Honestly I swear those people told me to go to their houses and take their stuff for free since I'm a hero with an epic destiny ahead! It won't do them any good anyway if the world is about to end, right? *run away*

cap028.jpg

Fuck! Let's go to Aldwyn and see if he lets us stash our loot at his place.

cap031.jpg

On the road to Aldwyn's I run across an actual conjurer. He is about to make the wolf his bitch. Suck it down.

cap032.jpg

This guy sells you the wolves he charms if you meet him as a wizard or a warrior. They are very expensive, die very quickly, and are actually pretty fucking useless. We will be able to charm (and yiff) many other beasts greater than wolves in the future.

cap036.jpg

So close, yet so far away... I can't make it to the other side of that small stream by swimming. Protip: Black people do not swim.

cap037.jpg

This hole must be the entrance to the urchin den. What horrors lurk within? Will Aldwyn be willing to pawn off our hard-earned village loot? Will he reveal to us Steve Irwin's secrets of ultimate bestial intimacy?

Find out on the next episode of... DIEXE-NOS JOGAR NAWKS

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
stonebro said:
Them and those black cthulhu-like things that hit like nuclear subs.

I am quite sure I have no idea what you have in mind.

Also, I can't see the pix in the last post.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
Also, I can't see the pix in the last post.
Hmm, looks like I'll have to switch to another image hosting service.

Chill the fuck out, people; Ebonics skill is still on cooldown. I don't want to run the risk of going 100% nigger.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
It's kind of funny. When this LP started I got nostalgic and started up a new game of Nox myself. I got pretty much exactly as far as Dire Roach before I lost interest and stopped playing too.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Wow, in one year and a half I have already forgotten about most of what I wrote in this LP. I feel as if a totally different person wrote it. I am grateful for the praise, but unfortunately I don't think I'll ever continue working it.

I started this LP during a time when I felt I had absolutely nothing better to do than to bring some exposure to Nox in hopes of getting some multiplayer matches going (which never happened). As I worked on the latest update (which I never finished/posted), I realized that finishing the LP would take way much more work than I was willing to go through, and I started feeling disgusted with the process of playing the game just to take screenshots. After that, apparently, I repressed all memories related to this LP. I think I had managed to do it by trying out FO3 at the time.

Nowadays I realize that there are much better things for me to do than working on an LP, like catching up with classic games I never got around to play and eating pussy other than my mom's. :smug: Carry on, 'dex!

Yours truly,

Dire Roach

Well at least maybe this can get moved to ze playground. pm annoy Jason about it.

I remember playing this... like 5 or 6 years ago. Was fun for a bit but somewhere along the line I lost interest and never picked it back up. Saw this LP and was like, aha, and now I will never have to. I am disappointed sir roach. :cry:

Paperclip

Liturgist
This is a good example of an *Action* RPG because it hands the responsibility to you, not to some random numbers, i.e. you wont block an attack if your shield isn't between you and the flying arrow, and you certainly can't block more than one projectile coming at your way at the same time.

I'm too lazy to elaborate more for the uninitiated but please pick up this gaem you won't disappoint.

Hory

Erudite
Nox multiplayer is pretty original and I just realized that the thing which gets the closest is perhaps DotA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom