Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

agris

Arcane
Patron
There are rumours that Obsidian might be making a World of Darkness game, and it would make sense to have Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky working on it. All they are missing are Jason Anderson and Brian Mitsoda.

Rumors or Made-Up rumors?
I think the people that are claiming this are using a simple logic chain: Paradox acquired the WoD videogame license, Obsidian publishes with Paradox, Paradox will fund an Obsidian developed game (Tyranny), Obsidian gains employees who worked on previous WoD property - Bloodlines. Therefore, Paradox is funding a new WoD game developed by Obsidian.

It is the most likely scenario based on what we know, but the recently-raised prospect of F4 DLC has reduced my expectations to sea level.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
make Obsidian great again
XwXoyY1.jpg

Deleted member 7219

There are rumours that Obsidian might be making a World of Darkness game, and it would make sense to have Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky working on it. All they are missing are Jason Anderson and Brian Mitsoda.

Rumors or Made-Up rumors?
I think the people that are claiming this are using a simple logic chain: Paradox acquired the WoD videogame license, Obsidian publishes with Paradox, Paradox will fund an Obsidian developed game (Tyranny), Obsidian gains employees who worked on previous WoD property - Bloodlines. Therefore, Paradox is funding a new WoD game developed by Obsidian.

It is the most likely scenario based on what we know, but the recently-raised prospect of F4 DLC has reduced my expectations to sea level.

Yes, that was my thinking. Paradox are now very friendly with an established RPG studio - Obsidian. Paradox do develop their own games, but only have experience making strategy titles like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis etc.

Paradox can just ask Obsidian to make the game and Obsidian will yes if the offer is good enough - probably a share in the profits, as well as enough funding to actually make the damn thing. Otherwise, Paradox would just have to sit on the licence without using it, which makes zero sense, or give it to some other studio to develop, which again makes zero sense considering Obsidian are probably the third best known RPG studio in the world now, after BioWare (owned by EA) and Bethesda (owned by Zenimax).

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When Tim Cain joined Obsidian, people on the Codex also wanted to believe he is going to work on a new Fallout game or something together with Chris Avellone... Come on, guys, abandon all hope. Decline is absolute.

Flou

Arbiter

What? Where? Motherfucking Bethesda better not make me buy Fallout 4 just so I can play Obsidian made Fallout.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When Tim Cain joined Obsidian, people on the Codex also wanted to believe he is going to work on a new Fallout game or something together with Chris Avellone... Come on, guys, abandon all hope. Decline is absolute.

But he WAS put on a project with Turn-Based combat....

:troll:

zool

Arcane

In case those rumours turned out to be true, no other option than :takemymoney:

DeepOcean

Arcane
An Alpha Brotocol with vampires and a combat system that didn't completely suck would be cool.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder if he could have also been brought into work on the "other" Kickstarter project (but for whatever reason they set aside and never did).

MrE

Literate
I hope he gets to work on a great project, unfortunately I highly doubt it will be anything related to either fallout, Arcanum or bloodlines.

Hopefully nothing related to Fallout as long as Bethesda owns the IP. Waste of time and resources, all their games are going to be decreed non-canon one day, mark my words.

Great! Now pls finish gam.

And don't let Sawyer touch it either.

This. And revive BI's Torn too.

Although I suppose I would rather have wanted him to join InXile, but dis is a step in the right direction ;-)

Actually he has a point. Boyarsky being at Obsidian will make no difference for us if he gets relegated to work on shit like World Of Tanks or Skyrim clones.

Also remember where ZIETS is.

Would be best if inXile and Obsidian merged, the two of them have the best talent in business.

New Vegas was a masterpiece, their absolute magnum opus. Fuck anyone who doesn't agree with me.

NV is good for what it is in the worst meaning of the expression. Shit engine and all the limitations inherited from Bethesda make it rather bad overall. I'm sorry for all the people who had to work on it (must have crushed them as badly as the fans). VB (on paper) >>> NV.

Is there any significance to this, short of developer camaraderie and Obsidian pulling a new Fallout/Arcanum/Bloodlines/Pathfinder/TB RPG, none of which is happening any time soon? Even Tyranny is RTwP, as if one game with two expansions and a planned sequel isn't enough.

Maybe, despite their RTwP obsession, Obsidian could allow for a dual system, like in Arcanum. Except of course not as fucked up - maybe make it ToEE-style with RT being emulation of TB, except in RT?

No D&D please.

Gives us a new Arcanum or Bloodlines.

Yeah, no D&D. Siding with Paradox for Tyranny is a good prospect for a WoD game hopefully. Not necessarily a direct sequel to Bloodlines, anything would be nice. What engine? Something 3D? Unreal?

Wasn't there a twit by Fargo that said something like "don't ask me about Wasteland, that's Obsidian's job now" or something to that effect? Does anybody remember? Maybe Boyarsky's arrival has something to do with that?

No idea but if that's the case I'd be happy (apart from 3D, if they keep it). Wasteland 3 based in New Orleans by Obsidian coming 2017? Maybe inXile learnt enough from T:ToN to switch to 2D for Wasteland too.

Jason Anderson, get your job application ready...let us re-unite the Troika!!!!!

If he wants to join he shouldn't need an application.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
NV is good for what it is in the worst meaning of the expression. Shit engine and all the limitations inherited from Bethesda make it rather bad overall. I'm sorry for all the people who had to work on it (must have crushed them as badly as the fans). VB (on paper) >>> NV.
VB looked like shit.

Maybe, despite their RTwP obsession, Obsidian could allow for a dual system, like in Arcanum. Except of course not as fucked up
Big goals.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Ignoring the fact that Interplay would probably have fucked it over sooner or later (Already had first signs of it with requirements for multiplayer and real time mode), anything can look good on paper, the execution is the thing that actually matters.

Last edited:

MrE

Literate
VB looked like shit.

The visuals sure did. And Josh's tweaks to SPECIAL.

Big goals.

Why not. They should push themselves a bit sometimes. The problem is with wishful thinking, not with the scale of goals.

Ignoring the fact that Interplay would probably have fucked it over sooner or later (Already had first signs of it with requirements for multiplayer and real time mode), anything can look good on paper, the execution is the thing that actually matters.

I agree. But now, with experience from F:T, Arcanum and ToEE, I think it could be done right. Also fully agree on execution. Unfortunately we can only refer to design documents in this case.

Hegel

Arcane
Tranny vampires would work pretty well. Jeanette's sister was her brother all along.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jason Anderson was briefly the Creative Director at inXile, where he worked on the publisher pitch for a pre-Kickstarter iteration of Wasteland 2. We never did figure out what sort of game that was meant to be.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom