Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legends of Amberland II Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees; Silver Lemur Games

https://www.silverlemurgames.com/20...ii-the-song-of-trees-has-been-released-on-pc/

Today, on 5th December 2023, the sequel to Legends of Amberland has been released on PC.

Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees is a classic RPG driven by my personal nostalgia for the 90s era of RPGs. It’s a turn-based, first-person view, over-the-grid movement, party-based RPG where you lead a group of heroes on an epic quest without dealing with moral dilemmas and other nonsense. There are dragons to kill, treasures to be found, people to be rescued, and an evil behind the events in Amberland that you must deal with, of course, as the noble heroes who undertake such quests.

At release, the game is available in English only, but very soon it will be localized to German, French, and Polish. Later, even more languages are planned to be added.

The consoles port (Nintendo Switch and XBOX) is planned for 2024.

The game has a full gamepad support (and SteamDeck support) at release.

This is the first game of mine that is released without Early Access, so bear with some minor problems that might (but don’t have to) pop up during the first month after release. However, the game has been very well tested and shares a lot of code with its predecessor, which was tested for years, so I don’t expect problems. But one can never be sure, so I prefer to include this warning.

This is also the first game that comes with custom music, made especially for this particular game, which is quite exciting for me.

I want to express my gratitude to all my long and short-term contractors who contributed assets, music, linguistic assistance, and more. Thank you!

I would also like to thank all the nameless helpers, some of whom started providing comments to my design questions years before the project even started. To all the testers, feedback bringers, and others who provided support in one way or another – without you, it would be much, much harder for me to make the game, and it would not have reached the quality it has today. This is especially true since we skipped the Early Access phase this time. Thanks!

So, that’s it. The sequel is out, and I hope you will enjoy it. As usual, I implore you to leave a review if you liked the game. Reviews matter a lot to niche games like Amberland, and they play a crucial role in determining the feasibility of a future sequel.

Thank you for your support, and I hope to see you in Legends of Amberland III (which might or might not enter development, who knows). See ya and have fun!​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2110840/Legends_of_Amberland_II_The_Song_of_Trees/
https://af.gog.com/pl/game/legends_of_amberland_ii_the_song_of_trees?as=1649904300

I had hoped for a bit of graphical improvement to be honest. I know the style is a deliberate choice but I find it very crude. Especially if compared to M&M III-V which seem to be the main inspiration. Still I do have high respect for the developer who is very involved and responsive in case of problems with his games. So I think I'll purchase this one later on too just to support the guy. His Stellar Monarch 1+2 are masterpieces by the way.

flinar

Novice
Here are my first impressions as someone who enjoyed but did not complete the first game:
  • The new music is pleasant.
  • The user interface is slightly improved. I'm able to fully navigate, fight, and cast spells quickly using only the keyboard. In the first game three were certain actions where I needed the mouse. One slight regression is that I can't find where character armor levels are displayed.
  • NPC dialog is charming. It could use a little editing, but I don't care about that.
  • Very early dungeons have more notes on the walls and other "environmental storytelling" than the first game.
So far this was a worthwhile purchase for me. It seems to be an overall improvement over the first iteration.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here are my first impressions as someone who enjoyed but did not complete the first game:
  • The new music is pleasant.
  • The user interface is slightly improved. I'm able to fully navigate, fight, and cast spells quickly using only the keyboard. In the first game three were certain actions where I needed the mouse. One slight regression is that I can't find where character armor levels are displayed.
  • NPC dialog is charming. It could use a little editing, but I don't care about that.
  • Very early dungeons have more notes on the walls and other "environmental storytelling" than the first game.
So far this was a worthwhile purchase for me. It seems to be an overall improvement over the first iteration.
Can definitely confirm that.
If you enjoyed the first one even somewhat, chances are you'll enjoy this one even more.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
UI is highly standardized between both games, some/a lot of stuff (UI related) is being backported to the first game. So, the first game got many of those improvements as well (definitely can be played using keyboard alone or gamepad alone).

Armor is where it always was, on Character screen, one of the stats on the bottom :)

This time I got professional linguistic QA, so expect it being higher quality overall (since you will no longer need to read my raw writing :D). But you need to wait a bit before all the QA changes are applied (some stuff is still being fixed as those are reported). I would say somewhere next month or two it should reach the full linguistic quality.

flinar

Novice
UI is highly standardized between both games, some/a lot of stuff (UI related) is being backported to the first game. So, the first game got many of those improvements as well (definitely can be played using keyboard alone or gamepad alone).

Armor is where it always was, on Character screen, one of the stats on the bottom :)

This time I got professional linguistic QA, so expect it being higher quality overall (since you will no longer need to read my raw writing :D). But you need to wait a bit before all the QA changes are applied (some stuff is still being fixed as those are reported). I would say somewhere next month or two it should reach the full linguistic quality.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was wrong about armor levels. After checking Amberland I, it is listed in the same place on the character stat screen.

The trouble with mouse/keyboard controls in Amberland I is there in my save file. It may have something to do with how I rearranged the party after creation.

As I've gotten farther in the game, the dialog has made me chuckle a few times. I'm actually reading it whereas in many games I end up skipping text after a while.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I really like both Legends of Amberland games. They are very cozy and nice to spend time over all. Second part has some new additions and improvements. Music in the sequel is very nice! Would be cool to have some kind of a brightness/colour sensitivity slider in the options meny, because both games have super bright colours.

Black_Willow

Arcane

One question - are the classes/races the same as in LoA1, or were there some changes?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
I really like both Legends of Amberland games. They are very cozy and nice to spend time over all. Second part has some new additions and improvements. Music in the sequel is very nice! Would be cool to have some kind of a brightness/colour sensitivity slider in the options meny, because both games have super bright colours.

Considering playing the sequel. Is it necessary for whatever reason to play the original game before this one?

And is it already in a good state to play it? Bought it, already, btw. Congratulations on the release, Chris Koźmik!

Gandalf

Arbiter
Considering playing the sequel. Is it necessary for whatever reason to play the original game before this one?
No, I do not think it is that important to play the original before the sequel. It's still a nice game, I liked it a lot and I am happy that I played it!

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer

One question - are the classes/races the same as in LoA1, or were there some changes?
Mostly the same with some alteration.

And is it already in a good state to play it? Bought it, already, btw. Congratulations on the release, Chris Koźmik!
No, you can play those in any order.

I think it's in a very good state right now, but considering it's my first tile which was not in E.A. there might be some bugs :) Probably tomorrow I will be releasing the first path (mostly spelling etc).

Chris Koźmik THanks for supporting windows 7. A lot of new games wanna force the win 10 poz down our throats to play them. GLad you ain't in the agenda, yet.
PS liked the first game well enuff.
havent found time to play the 2nd yet, busy with life and colony ship rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom