Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Zelda Lore & Appreciation Thread

Gastrick

Cipher
Zelda II is whatever, it's so strange I've never put enough time into it as to qualify to say whether it truly is shit (as I suspect it is).
Zelda II was around as good as LTTP and better than the first game. The game is fun to play, is quite tough, and has RPG mechanics.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I like Zelda. Pretending it has a story is one of the problems with the franchise now. I almost missed out on Breath of the Wild because I had to take breaks to make it through the first hour of slow, repetitive, poorly written, and pointless dialog.

The other problem with the modern games is the increasingly long frame delay injected when a strike is registered.

Oh, and inventory/control management of secondary items has been an issue since Ocarina of Time.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Zelda's lore is profound

maxresdefault.jpg

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I thought the original Zelda on the NES was amazing growing up and then Orcarina of Time was amazing too but they quickly grew stale after like Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword was complete dog shit but it's probably just the older I got the less amazing the games felt and they never really innovated too much besides some gimmick. I genuinely don't care about lore of Zelda.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Zelda has no lore or even decent story, only stale rehash of the same old tropes with same villain and annoying incompetent "damsel in distress" who cannot get smarter even with triforce of Wisdom.
Some time ago I tried to play several Zelda games and had some kind of fun only with Link to the Past, Majora Mask and Wind Wanker Waker (last one is a stretch, but I liked ballsy ending very much).
People can call me stupid, but it would be better if franchise was called Legend of Link and followed adventures of Link through different lands and countries, rather than one shitty kingdom.
A preferable chronology: A Link to the Past (Link tastes his first adventure and this experience pushed him to become knight-errant/merc/adventurer) then goes Majora Mask ( his first adventure outside of his home country) and all other games follow his journey through distant lands.
But instead Link stuck in his own version of Groundhog Day and people with imagination have to yawn every time when new game released, because it's essentially the same game repackaged.

Gastrick

Cipher
Zelda has no lore or even decent story, only stale rehash of the same old tropes with same villain and annoying incompetent "damsel in distress" who cannot get smarter even with triforce of Wisdom.
Counter-argument:

There's nothing wrong with women being in distress.

Last edited:
People can call me stupid, but it would be better if franchise was called Legend of Link and followed adventures of Link through different lands and countries, rather than one shitty kingdom.
A preferable chronology: A Link to the Past (Link tastes his first adventure and this experience pushed him to become knight-errant/merc/adventurer) then goes Majora Mask ( his first adventure outside of his home country) and all other games follow his journey through distant lands.
But instead Link stuck in his own version of Groundhog Day and people with imagination have to yawn every time when new game released, because it's essentially the same game repackaged.
It's not always the same Link and the locations are different each time even if the names remain the same, so your proposed changes would do nothing. Submit an application to IGN

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
It's not always the same Link and the locations are different each time even if the names remain the same, so your proposed changes would do nothing.
Creating an interesting name for location is a task on itself, just like creating comprehensive geographical/cultural/political map for your fictional world. But I guess as long as there people who ready to defend a shitty "timeline" concept for free, wile paying a pretty buck for every game - there no need to worry about anything. Just recycle the same names for decades, jut to trigger conditional reflex from most devoted audience.

Submit an application to IGN
Well if IGN accepted people, who more critical to mainstream franchises than a boiled carrot, we would be living in a different world. So you suggestion is half-hearted attempt to dismiss criticism and nothing more.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FIRST GAME WAS GREAT WHEN IT CAME OUT AND I REPLAYED IT IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS STILL HOLDS UP FOR ME

SECOND AND SNES ONEE WERE FUN

NEVER PLAYED THE HANDHELD ONES

OCARINA OF TIME WAS ONE OF THE LAST GAMES THAT REALLY GAVE ME A SENSE OF AMAZEMENT AND WONDER BUT I WAS STILL YOUNFLG BACK THEN

PLAYED WIND WAKER AND IT WAS FUN AND THEB TWILIGHT PRINCESS AND I COULDNT TOLERATE IT

MAYBE IT WAS THAT I WAS TOO OLD OR MAYBE THE GAME WAS SHIT OR MAYBE THE TUTORIAL WAS LONG AND SHIT

DONT THINK ILL PLAY A NEW ZELDA EVER AGAIN BUT I MIGHT REPLAY THE ONES I LIKED

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH YEAH BROS

ANOTHER UPVOTE FOR ZELDA 2

LOTS OF FUCKED UP SIDESCROLLING RPGS FOR THE NES THAT WERE KINDA FUN

I LOVED CASTELVANIA 2 FOR SOME REASON IT WAS FUCKED UP AND OBSCURE

RAMBO AND KARNOV AND RYGAR WERE ALSO WEIRD RPG SIDESCROLLING HYBRID SHIT

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That seems pretty absurd to me that Wind Waker came from Hyrule flooding. From what I know of geology, besides islands, land has done nothing expand the past billions of years (unless Atlantis is real). If a place was cold earlier, then tropical weather wouldn't arise. Not only that, but it somehow became unflooded later.

Just read the official timeline, it's pretty retarded that they made endings canon that weren't even in the original game.

Well, Hyrule's flooding is caused
by magic, the goddesses power itself, a wish granted to the king of Hyrule through the triforce. It's not a natural geological evolution. At the end of the game you can also see that Ganon wish is to revert this

0a4.gif

Creating an interesting name for location is a task on itself, just like creating comprehensive geographical/cultural/political map for your fictional world. But I guess as long as there people who ready to defend a shitty "timeline" concept for free, wile paying a pretty buck for every game - there no need to worry about anything. Just recycle the same names for decades, jut to trigger conditional reflex from most devoted audience.
No you retard, what I meant is that you already have what you want, Link traveling through different lands because the "Hyrule" map changes between games. Changing Kakariko Village's name for Sukisuki Village is not the important part.
Well if IGN accepted people, who more critical to mainstream franchises than a boiled carrot, we would be living in a different world. So you suggestion is half-hearted attempt to dismiss criticism and nothing more.
But you weren't being critical, you just made a retarded observation that doesn't make sense ("Link stuck in his own version of Groundhog Day") and proposed a solution that changes nothing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
so nothing would change just the name
I thought of that too. Not the title, but the idea of following the same Link across multiple kingdoms. The princess, the dumb looking Master Sword and Ganon become tiresome.

Also want kid Link back in the 3D games.

Delterius

Arcane
following the same Link across multiple kingdoms
i feel that not only majora's mask, but also windwaker, oracle of seasons/time and probably skyward sword (haven't played it) show that the series isn't necessarily handicapped by the formula. some of them have ganon in some way but they still portray different lands. there should be more zelda games not set in hyrule is not that radical of a departure. which is a good thing: makes it that much easier to advocate for.

J1M

Arcane
The best part of BotW is the island where they take away all of your items and you have to use your knowledge of the game systems to survive and escape.

It amazes me that they didn't see the brilliance of this and create several islands in this mould with different biomes/challenges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom