Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is worth playing now that there are some good mods!

Andak Raïnor

Literate
It is the first time I hear about that. I don't see what could do that to the food bar, as I did not mod anything about it. Just an idea, but maybe the screen resolution could be the culprit. What is the resolution you play with?

For the log, I still have to write one, it is coming soon!

Andak Raïnor

Literate
Those spells no longer use a zone effect that searched for all entities on the map to apply the visual effects. Instead all the entities are defined with this effect from the start and can be switched on or off with one line of code only. So it is a lot less heavy on the CPU as there is nothing to search.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those spells no longer use a zone effect that searched for all entities on the map to apply the visual effects. Instead all the entities are defined with this effect from the start and can be switched on or off with one line of code only. So it is a lot less heavy on the CPU as there is nothing to search.

Oh ok, but the function is still the same? I would've prefered if you could see secret buttons only within certain vicinity - because right now they're not secret at all - but oh well. Better than manualy checking every damn wall in the game I guess.

At least the item highlight didn't change, that was a godsend.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It is the first time I hear about that. I don't see what could do that to the food bar, as I did not mod anything about it. Just an idea, but maybe the screen resolution could be the culprit. What is the resolution you play with?
As it turns out, I made a small mistake - the food bar is still there, but the EXP bar appears twice, which almost covers up the food bar which is why I thought it disappeared (it's still there)

n4FAktH.png

I don't think it's my screen resolution - It only happens when I use the mod, and my normal non-modded game doesn't have this issue. So I don't know why this is happening.

Andak Raïnor

Literate
Okay I see what is going on. In the mod I changed the experience bar by drawing a new one over it, as it is not possible to directly change the vanilla experience curve. To do it I calculate the size and position of the bar to draw it from the screen resolution. So I would be interested in knowing your screen resolution so I can fix my formula to place the bar correctly :)

Andak Raïnor

Literate
I will try to implement a fix tomorrow. Until then, if you can use another resolution, here are the results I got with the different sizes the game proposed me in the Options menu:

Correct:
1280x720 (resist/regen stats text too big)
1280x768 (resist/regen stats text too big)
1280x800 (resist/regen stats text too big)
1360x768 (resist/regen stats text too big)
1366x768 (resist/regen stats text too big)
1440x900
1600x900
1600x1024
1680x1050
1920x1080

Incorrect:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1280x1024
1600x1200

Andak Raïnor

Literate
Okay version 3.0.1 uploaded! Before putting more work in the balance suggestions you gave me, I had to fix the ugly bugs reported. Now the potions, frozen champion condition, and some fixes for various screen resolutions should work. At this point, I am not compatible with 1600 x 1200 screens size though.

Andak Raïnor

Literate
Version 3.1 available! (http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/60?)

Bug fixes:
- Osmosis can no longer kill characters at very high spell power (above 1000%).

Difficulty balance:
- Osmosis now costs 50 energy and its duration is reduced.
- Earthquake now breaks invisibility and no longer deals damage through walls and obstacles.
- Earthquake damage reduced through random rocks eruption (new animation).
- Fire Aura deals 4 times its previous damage.
- Negentropy deals 2 times its previous damage.
- All Shall Fall deals 2 times its previous damage.
- Scroll of Feast moved to herder den.
- One manabound gun moved from Castle Nex to Forgotten River.
- Early game difficulty: physical classes gain some starting accuracy bonus.
- Enchantments maximum power is now limited by the caster's level.

New features:
- Dispel can now destroy equipment and weapon items to create crystal shards of enchantment.
- Enchanting an item requires one crystal shard of enchantment.
- Barbarian new ability: cooldown reduced for heavy weapons.
- Alchemist new ability: +1% critical chance per level for firearms.
- Ammo crafting through alchemy for firearms.
- New elemental rods for fire, water and earth. Lightning rod redesigned.
- Archmage pieces gives +5% to all spells power. The full set gives an additional +20% to all spells power.
- Wizards gain +2% energy regeneration rate per level.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am playing this again, it was updated a lot since I last played. It is so hard now! Can't remember it being this hard last time, except for bosses, but I am still early days so have a lot of character building to do. This mod is pretty amazing, it makes the game how it should be. At some points I can stand toe to toe with enemies, I use Misdirection which makes all damage received go to my tank. And then I can just focus on healing the tank with my healer while my other 2 mages nuke stuff down. It works too well to be "just a mod". This is how the game should have been!

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
:necro:

I started playing this. I was wondering: is it normal that I move around to dodge monsters attack (mostly) and hit them in sketchy manner in order to evade taking damage ? Or am I supposed to stay in place and just take it like a man with healing ? Some early monsters seem way too strong to just stand there (such as pair of Wargs). Unless I'm not understanding something ?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
LoG is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Master. Moving around was how you did combat in DM and it's exactly how you're supposed to do it in LoG.

The question isn't entirely unjustified, some of the descendants of DM allowed you to just tank the damage and kill the monsters by clicking as fast as possible on the attack buttons, EotB comes to mind, while others required square-dancing to survive

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah in this game you need to dodge around, which sucks. But if you get a mod called Magic of Grimrock it makes it a much better game. It adds lots of new spells including healing and one that sends all damage to your tank etc. You still need to run around at the start but eventually you can stand toe to toe with enemies and use magic to deal with things. I love it. It adds some extra puzzles and gear too. The only problem is that the casting system in the game is retarded so you need to remember several of those rune shapes and then be able to cast them when you are under pressure. Although I got some macro software and set it up to cast them for me with the press of a button.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
LoG is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Master. Moving around was how you did combat in DM and it's exactly how you're supposed to do it in LoG.

The question isn't entirely unjustified, some of the descendants of DM allowed you to just tank the damage and kill the monsters by clicking as fast as possible on the attack buttons, EotB comes to mind, while others required square-dancing to survive
Which is where I come from. I know DM but never played it. I'm more familiar with EotB.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Which is where I come from. I know DM but never played it. I'm more familiar with EotB.

To answer your initial question, you have to strafe-turn btw. square dance around to survive, and later monsters will actually have different movement pattern to make it even harder

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Yes that's what I'm doing now. Some monsters I don't even bother (like the Golem/Stone Elemental thing) since they are way too overpowered for what they give. Actually if it wasn't for the fact that you don't get XP from other sources, I would not fight any monsters. They are never worth it. That's my biggest let down of the game for now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah in this game you need to dodge around, which sucks. But if you get a mod called Magic of Grimrock it makes it a much better game. It adds lots of new spells including healing and one that sends all damage to your tank etc. You still need to run around at the start but eventually you can stand toe to toe with enemies and use magic to deal with things. I love it. It adds some extra puzzles and gear too. The only problem is that the casting system in the game is retarded so you need to remember several of those rune shapes and then be able to cast them when you are under pressure. Although I got some macro software and set it up to cast them for me with the press of a button.
Hey downvoters, complete it with no mods. Then complete it with that mod and tell me which is better. Until then respect my authoritah.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Due to the current discussion regarding two LoG2 mods in the official LoG2-thread, I dug up this thread, and discovered this post:

Hey downvoters, complete it with no mods. Then complete it with that mod and tell me which is better. Until then respect my authoritah.

I needed a minute to recover after almost hurting myself from laughter.

I have beaten Grimrock 2 both with and without this mod. I have already given my opinion in this thread on which is better.

And I have given my opinion of you as well. You have no "authoritah", let alone "respect".

Please be bigly somewhere else.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Waaaaitaminute there little fella, which mod are you talking about exactly? And which version of that mod are you talking about?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
there are too many spells
As for gameplay changes? There is real thought put into them. New areas are readily accessible, but to unlock some of them you need to get certain projectile spells and experiment with them. This gives the game a metroidvania vibe, as some areas and puzzles cannot be solved until later on.
Ahhh, you're this guy. I see. I see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom