Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Last good Might and Magic title?

What was the last good mainline M&M game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arbiter

Scholar
Discuss!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
M&M VIII could have been a good title if it had full party creation, the overpowered party members and dragons sucked

Does M&M Merge mod also use MM8 party creation?
Well, it uses the MM8 party creation *interface*, but you get to create all 5 characters if you wish.

I find even vanilla MM8 better than MM7. More dungeons per map, more quests, more colours...

laclongquan

Arcane
Exploration and find hidden companions is one of the best part of MM8. Create a full party sounds nice until you realize that very part eliminate the necessity to get other characters to join your party. Aka the necessity for other characters.

I love IWD series, but I never get blinded over the fact that we dont need other joinable NPC, if any.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I love the Might and Magic series. The last one that I thoroughly enjoyed was 8. Thats not to say 9 and 10 didnt have any merit. But, if they stopped making Might & Magic at 8, I feel that would have done the series justice. I can't say that about 9 or 10.

How about the series box art? Might be my favorite ever.

ropetight

Savant
I enjoyed VI the most, who can forget their first Amrageddon cast on city because they suddenly started attacking you, completely unprovoked.
And I loved masters of skills quests - they were hard to find, not easy to complete, and changed the gameplay dramatically (i.e. mages with staff mastery became defensive powerhouses) - not just stats upgrade.

VII was good evolution in almost every sense, so that is last decent entry for me.
After VII, things startes to water down, they moved in wrong direction.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
7 had terrible dungeons and a boring railroaded evil/good campaign. The way they changed the class system made the game worse as well.

Gregz

Arcane
6/7/8 aren't even the same type of game, might as well be a different series

Going to need a citation on that. I've played 6&7 and they are so alike 7 feels like an expansion.
but they're nothing like the actual M&M games

And which are the actual M&M games?

096427012481__18566.1673333045.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One can argue that MM 6-8 are not real blobbers. But to say they are not real M&M games is silly.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
One can argue that MM7 6-8 are not real blobbers. But to say they are not real M&M games is silly.
They're not real M&M games.

They belong in the mainline series as much as dark messiah.

I've played 2-7 & X, and the consistencies across the series are too numerous to list. Replacing the grid-based restriction with more fluid exploration was an upgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom