Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Larian is moving away from D&D, no BG3 DLC or BG4

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
On the one hand, I admire Swen for what he said there and for sticking to his guns re. not exploiting the BG3 success in a predictable way. On the other hand, I prefer the FR as a setting to their own Divinity IP :(

I think ultimately, the 5e ruleset cramped Larian's style too much. It's kind of ironic, and a bit sad, that Larian won the big prize of doing a BG game, but the mechanics they were stuck with are unsuited to big, spectacular combat of the kind they prefer.
Even a Belgian-developed RPG campaign setting can't be as bad as Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms:

Ed-Greenwood-Forgotten-Realms-worst-campaign-setting.webp
I read Spellfire, one of Ed's novels for TSR. This is on par for him.

Ed Greenwood was a R*dditor before the internet even existed

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good for them, really.
DnD as a setting is pretty meh and "been there, done that" at this point. At least Faerun.

But more important than that, DnD5 is an extremely flawed rulesystem that they already had to house rule around like an excentric DM to make it at least somewhat more palatable.
And that gets worse with higher levels, so yeah, good decision.

However, I will be incredibly sad not to get a DLC that lets me dive into Avernus for more resolution on Karlach or Wyll - those characters clearly had more to tell (yeah, Wyll is a benchwarmer, but that's down to his class).
I can't stand open endings like that, so this will now keep nagging me like a TV series I liked that got cancelled before its ending.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I hope they make a game that focuses more on turn-based strategy and combat, like the abandoned Divinity: Fallen Heroes, which seemed to go into this direction. It would be great for once if a rpg developer doesn't turn to shit after a couple of successful games.
I'm hoping they explore new stuff, action rpg or RTWP combat with improved design.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DnD as a setting is pretty meh and "been there, done that" at this point.

You wish that was the problem.

As it is, it barely even feels like the same thing anymore. Hard to say if the problem is 5th edition or Larian, probably both.

Also, after that bit about Xan entertaining himself in jail by shoving his sword up his ass i'd rather Larian not touch anything that i may have liked at some point.

Also, i'm never gonna touch anything made by Larian again. Swen may be a good guy with an old school understanding of how RPGs are supposed to work but he should have told his faggy writing team to tone that shit down so fuck him.

Until the megalomaniac soyboys at Nexus remove them.
I still think playing a heavily gay themed game and modding out the gay is the equivalent of sucking a dick and claiming you're not gay because you didn't swallow.
Honestly I wasn’t even interested in a single mod (that I know of) that Nexus censored. That’s not the point.

I simply don’t think it’s their place to decide what mods can and can’t be made and who’s morally in the right.

I mean, these mongoloids allow the “Karlach horse futa cock” mods and took down the one that replaced the narrator with an AI-made male equivalent, because apparently the latter was deeply misogynistic by their parameters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nothing says "capitalism" like a company announcing it will never make a sequel to its only successful property
Larian probably made a billion dollars by this point, I mean how much more money you really need.

If I was Vincke I'd only make small, experimental games for the rest of my life. Or even better, nothing at all.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fantastic news.

Really looking forward to their next game. Maybe they can do a honey I shrunk the kids-style action game!

This is assuming they truly are on the Very Prestigious Rpg Game pedigree-timeline

Nothing says "capitalism" like a company announcing it will never make a sequel to its only successful property
Original Sin 1&2 are probably the most financially successful RPGs of the Kickstarter wave
Not even debatable. They outsold even several Bioware triple A titles.
Not to mention that Larian has a long history of being rather, uh, conservative when it comes to discounts and sales.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Thank god Larian's talent isn't wasted on drivel like Forgotten Realms, and more on their own Drivelnity. Let's face it, settings were never their strength.

Good thing IMO, probably cutting ties with WotC controlling cunts. Pump and dump for the +Rep.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Let's face it, settings were never their strength.
Or dialogues. Or humor. Or characters. Or quest design. Or difficulty curve. Or third acts. Or chardev. Or itemization.

In fact all of them shallow, juvenile, terribly written games with pedestrian chardev and boring itemization... with a fantastic turn-based combat.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Baldur's Gate 1 had very silly writing too, but there's just something that's incredibly off putting in BG3.

Baldur's Gate 1 had very silly writing too, but there's just something that's incredibly off putting in BG3.
It's the difference between D&D Disneyland with Monty Python humor and the Reddit-tier Critical Role slop. Looks fair and feels foul. Doesn't matter how well done the systems are, if the writing is spiritually repulsive it overrides all other considerations.

Last edited:

The Bishop

Cipher
So since Larian is done with "I can't believe it's not Dragon Age" project, it would be only logical if they take on "I can't believe it's not Mass Effect" project next. Obviously they could fix the glaring problems of the original, like not being able to have sex with Rachni Queen.

This is great news.

I have never enjoyed a single game they have made, despite being tricked into buying almost all of them. The only reason I got suckered into buying BG3 was because it was based on Dungeons and Dragons and BG and I hoped it would constrain some of their more rambling design elements, and while it did, they managed to sneak in a bunch of other crap that made the game tedious and boring and long in ways that are just not very fun to endure. Having their next game not be based in or on D&D rules/world makes it really easy to ignore.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As someone somewhere said, all characters look like Zoolander and talk like 2020 California poz bubble rabble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom