Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Landfall

dagorkan

Arbiter
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/26/ ... ndfall.rar

Image1-2.jpg

Image2-2.jpg

Image3-3.jpg

Image4-2.jpg

Image5-1.jpg

Image6-1.jpg

dagorkan

Arbiter
Well why don't you play it? It's nothing like Swecol or Freecol, it changes and introduces new game dynamics. And so far it seems more playable than Freecol (which is quite pointless since it's exactly the same as Colonization in DOS-Box but buggier and with crappy AI).

NewCol looks interesting for the same reason. I don't understand why you'd make an exact clone of a game which can be played fine if you simply bother to download an emulator.

LCJr.

Erudite
It's a dead project and the one person that bothered to play it found quite a few bugs. If the developer picks it back up and starts fixing bugs I'll get interested.

I wouldn't get excited over NewCol since it appears to be dead. Be sure to check the Future tab and marvel at the Digitable.

You don't even need DOSBox for Colonization. It was released in DOS, Windows, Mac and Amiga. I've never had any problems with the Windows version.

I suspect FreeCol is being done for the programming experience. They've always said once they make the clone(1.0) they'd start on their idea of a sequel(2.0) with new features. I suppose some people also like the fact it's in Java so it's OS independent and has multiplayer. As of the 0.8.0 alpha they've added 4 more European powers. Sure there's bugs but those have a good chance of getting fixed since it's still in active development.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The AI is my biggest problem with it. I think a large part of what makes good strategy games is the AI. Without rational competitors all you're doing LARPing, which by the way is what turned me off Hearts of Iron. A cool concept doesn't make a game.

LCJr.

Erudite
Here you go sheek one of the half dozen clones I used to have bookmarked.

FCCA "Free Conquest and Colonization of America".
http://fcca.sourceforge.net/

Look at the release dates. After almost a 4 year hiatus he puts out another release only to vanish again.

Korgan

Arbiter
Me, I'm waiting for the official Civ4 expansion. The original was Sid quality - beyond awesome, that is - and I don't want to play a clone not touched by Him.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Sid's sold out.

LC, I mentioned Landfall because it is at least playable and fun to play with. Not many clones are. That game you just linked to hasn't implemented colony building, not sure why you're showing it to me. I don't doubt that there are many remake projects that never get anywhere, I don't post about those.

LCJr.

Erudite
I'm doing it to annoy you. Bookmark it and check back four years from now and maybe it'll be playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom