Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KotOR passions at GameBanshee

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Actually, I cna easily seeing someone falling to the Dark Side way with Juhani. I mena, it only makes sense one would want tod efend themselves when attacked. :roll:

Or how about the fellow who's trapped along with you by that crazy old Sith Master? It would be pretty easy to fall to the trap of letting him take the paina nd die since he at that is time is appaarntly a very violent Sith wannabe himself, and plus, no one wants to die = self preservation. Situations like these arise all the time for the character; of course as players we can see the entire picture. Tough chocies for the character; but maybe not the player. That said, I've seen many dummies whine on the BIO baords about getting DS (or even LS) points when they weren't trying to by simply playing their character.

The problem with us freaks is all analyze games way too much that we sometimes forget that just playing the game and going with the flow is the best part of the experience.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
how would you truly now that the Sith are bad before they destroy Taris?

Well, they did try to kill you and did kill your freindly NPC on the ship.

:)

It does. I meant all the ways, but the "ends justify the means" is also an interesting path toward the DS. Revan was a war hero who made too many questionable choices

I agree with this, but I don't think that the lack of more dialogue choices means it was a bad game. Just not as great as it could have been, but you can say that about any game. It just leaves room for improvement via a sequel

I just wished they showed the temptation and the lure instead of a deliberate choice to be bad.

I agree, but how else could they have should it besides how they did in the game? Via easier routes, money, and cool powers? I can't really see who, but I assume you got something brewing.

You fight the Dark Jedi, there is a pause in the combat. What do you do? I chose "Attack again". I was certain that somebody would point the error of my way out, but no, they tolld me I did great, gave me a lightsaber and send me to fight tha Dark Jedi who paused in the combat.

I noticed that too :? . The game has its flaws, but not enough to drag it down from being a solid game. For me, it was more than that, I really think it is up there with some of my favorites of all time. And I mostly dislike D&D rules and don't harbor any special love for Bioware.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Heh. VD,a nd I had this discussion before. the Guardian options in the Test are *very* weak. Pathetic actually. Jedis, no matter how physically inclined, are psychopathetic bloodthirsty mongers. At least, not ones who *stay* Jedi for any length of time. I think BIO ran out of time when making the test up; or couldn't think of any real way to differ the Guardian from the other two Jedi classes withput resorting to this lameness. :(

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Or how about the fellow who's trapped along with you by that crazy old Sith Master? It would be pretty easy to fall to the trap of letting him take the paina nd die since he at that is time is appaarntly a very violent Sith wannabe himself, and plus, no one wants to die = self preservation. Situations like these arise all the time for the character; of course as players we can see the entire picture. Tough chocies for the character; but maybe not the player. That said, I've seen many dummies whine on the BIO baords about getting DS (or even LS) points when they weren't trying to by simply playing their character.

I thought of that too. Earlier, when you walk into Korriban, you are confronted numerous times by people who want to mess with you too. You have to just "walk away"even tho their Sith or in another case save peeps lives via dialogue. And there are a few other situations like that. Its just hard to get the player to be swayed unless there is something to be gained that is "uber cool".

Besides, if everything was a tough moral choice, then they would have even less of an impact. I think that isn't want VD is saying tho. He just wants deeper, less clear cut choices. Which I can see and agree with.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kumquatq3 said:
how would you truly now that the Sith are bad before they destroy Taris?
Well, they did try to kill you and did kill your freindly NPC on the ship. :)
Correction, they were capturing the enemy ship, killing the defenders was part of the package :) You were a soldier then, but now that your ship is destroyed and there is not much you can do, the war is over for you. May be you never had a chance to pick a side, but now you do.

I agree with this, but I don't think that the lack of more dialogue choices means it was a bad game. Just not as great as it could have been, but you can say that about any game. It just leaves room for improvement via a sequel
Just for the record, imo, the game is between good and very good. Sadly it's not great, so we are just discussing where it felt short. It's not the lack of more dialogue choices, it';s the lack of more interesting moral choices.

I agree, but how else could they have should it besides how they did in the game? Via easier routes, money, and cool powers? I can't really see who, but I assume you got something brewing.
Well, working for the Sith would have been one option, take the underwater installation quest for example, what if the Sith ask you to blow it up, pointing that the Republic is not playing fair, making all sorta shady deals, damaging the ecology, and forcing the Sith to attack to restore the status quo. You think that you are doing the right thing, that you are restoring the balance, averting the war, etc.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Well, working for the Sith would have been one option, take the underwater installation quest for example, what if the Sith ask you to blow it up, pointing that the Republic is not playing fair, making all sorta shady deals, damaging the ecology, and forcing the Sith to attack to restore the status quo. You think that you are doing the right thing, that you are restoring the balance, averting the war, etc.

I like that idea. Tho, if the sith knew of the 2nd koto (sp?) harvesting base that would clearly be a case of a violation of the agreement they had both signed. This would have the Rebuplic banned from the world and from koto exports. This would clearly lose the war for them, as many many peeps like to tell you.

EDIT: So unless you could work 100% for the sith, that doesn't really matter. As the Rebpublic would be screwed then anyways. Also, at that point you are back to Black and White choices.

2nd edit: O and how does working for the Sith present the player "something that they can't easily refuse"? Its still a half-hearted moral choice the player would be able to clearly make. I am sure that one would boil down to the Sith paying well.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kumquatq3 said:
I like that idea. Tho, if the sith knew of the 2nd koto (sp?) harvesting base that would clearly be a case of a violation of the agreement they had both signed. This would have the Rebuplic banned from the world and from koto exports. This would clearly lose the war for them, as many many peeps like to tell you.
The Sith might not have all the facts, all the proof, they could have just picked on some underwater activity and suspected the worst. Since the local authorities are not overly responsive to rumors, the Sith want proof or they want it stopped.

EDIT: So unless you could work 100% for the sith, that doesn't really matter. As the Rebpublic would be screwed then anyways. Also, at that point you are back to Black and White choices.

2nd edit: O and how does working for the Sith present the player "something that they can't easily refuse"? Its still a half-hearted moral choice the player would be able to clearly make. I am sure that one would boil down to the Sith paying well.
Don't forget, this scenario, although it could be used by anyone, is designed for the LS character who thinks that he's doing the right thing, but isn't. He/she doesn't do it for rewards, but because he was blinded by what he wanted to see and what he wanted to believe in.

It's not a temptation and it's not "the ends justify means" path but it's one out of many and that what makes the DS so rich with rp opportunities.

Voss

Erudite
And in some ways, its the right thing to do anyway, particularly by the Selkath's judicial system. The Republic is violating a treaty signed in good faith, a strong sense of justice could lead a light side character to put a stop to the illegal harvesting, just as it could lead to condemning the 'war hero' who's on trial.

And of course, you could use the reasoning that if the sith do find out about it, they'll just obliterate the planet. They don't care that much about the well being of their underlings, especially if it will cripple the Republic war effort. So maybe the Republic and the Selkath should be protected from their mistakes...for their own good.

Edit: Kumquat, some of the Selkath (even on that Judicial council) know about it already... at least some of them are already leaning one way, and might be willing to squash any records or proof.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom