Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KotOR a mixed dish for RPG.net

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href="http://www.rpg.net">RPG.net</a> has done and <A href="http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10002.phtml">posted a review</a> of <A href="http://www.swkotor.com">Knights of the Old Republic</a> saying that it basically could have used more porting and polishing, but is otherwise not that bad. Here's a taste:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Gamers will be happy to see that a simplified D20 system (akin to the Star Wars pen and paper RPG) is used for the game mechanics. Note the key word: simplified. This is particularly noticeable with character classes. Your character’s class is locked into two modes. Your class before jedi training and your class after jedi training. Your NPC’s will be locked into their respective classes the entire game. Given there are a very limited number of classes (3 non jedi, 3 jedi, 2 robotic) it would have been great to be able to mix and match a little.
<br>
<br>
There are certain feats that would have been nice to have had in the game, given its melee combat focus with jedi knights. Specifically cleave and its enhanced follow-up feats leap to mind. The feats are also a little sparse, which leads to many characters resembling each other in feat selection.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I got to say, I like this one. Many of the objections I had with the title are also in this thing.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Ausir</b>!

EEVIAC

Erudite
I think the strong reliance on story is responsible for the simplistic class choices, they have to fit in with the plot twist and the arbitrary end-choice. I would have really liked to have rolled up a robot and had a Republican Robot Death Squad (or Sith, I guess) but the story wouldn't have supported it.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
EEVIAC said:
I think the strong reliance on story is responsible for the simplistic class choices, they have to fit in with the plot twist and the arbitrary end-choice. I would have really liked to have rolled up a robot and had a Republican Robot Death Squad (or Sith, I guess) but the story wouldn't have supported it.

Well, droid is naturally out of the question, but the way the story is constructed would have allowed for the main character to be pretty much any race. I know I would have liked to play as a Twi'lek, Rodian or even better, Ewok of death. I would have beaten Malak with sticks and stones. Also, not having a Bounty Hunter class seems like a big mistake, considering how popular they are with the fanbase (not to mention Lucas himself).

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The Twilek would have been the only viable alternative race. I just can't see either Carth, Bastilla or even the cat girl falling in love with a Rodian. BUG EYE SCUM!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Exitium said:
The Twilek would have been the only viable alternative race. I just can't see either Carth, Bastilla or even the cat girl falling in love with a Rodian. BUG EYE SCUM!

Meh, who needs romance in a game? Besides the Bioware fans, that is.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hah.. Nice find. Yes, that's very, very pathetic there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom