Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 - How integral is the Restored Content mod (TSLRCM) to your enjoyment of the game?

Steedless

Novice
So KOTOR 2 is a game that I've only ever played with the restored content mod, multiple times, because that is what I've been told was the best intended experience of the game. Each time, I've noticed that my least favorite content in the game is usually something that was added by the mod (for example: Padawan Kaevee, the HK factory level, and other certain dialogues/scenes that feel unfinished/incomplete). It seems to me that the mod doesn't have a consistent quality standard, and they just tried to restore as much as they possibly could. For every interesting thing it adds, it adds another thing that is confusing or unnecessary. I've been thinking that the next time I play KOTOR 2, I'll give it a go vanilla (PC) just to see if TSLRCM is actually all that "essential" to the experience. Something tells me the vanilla game isn't nearly as much of a shitshow as people make it out to be on the internet. So I return to the question in the title - for those of you who have played both with and without TSLRCM, how integral is it to your enjoyment of the game? Is it simply a "nice to have" or will you never play without it again? Am I completely wrong in my assumption that the vanilla game is probably completely fine and enjoyable?

Baron Tahn

Scholar
It was unfinished and rushed at the time. The mod might add 'too much' but it also added much of the rest of the game. I'd still say it was worth it in a playthrough. At least, as I remember. It's been ages.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I've never played it with TSLRCM and I still liked it fine and I'm sure you will too if you don't think the restored content sits well. The game definitely feels rushed towards the end but when I read about what TSLRCM added I didn't feel like it would change that aspect of it much so I don't think I missed out on anything I'd really enjoy by avoiding it.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Atris and Darth Nihilus are total nonsense characters without the restoration patch, and the ending is quite bad. Some of the stuff added, like the extra dungeons, was clearly meant to be cut and the game isn't improved by its presence, but without the restoration patch the game's story flat-out doesn't work. One of the game's main villains basically doesn't exist. The ending is a complete nonsequitur.

If you replayed it without the patch, you might not even notice the dialogues restored throughout the game (or, rather, notice their absence) and I don't think you'd be able to appreciate just how much context you're comparatively lacking for the story, since you already mostly understand who these characters are. Seriously, in the original release, Darth Nihilus is just some guy who shows up at the end and you kill.

Mauman

Learned
While the original was good, it did feel like it was missing large chunks. The restoration patch, for the most part, rectifies this.

As for the Droid factory? I didn't really mind it. Your mileage may vary I guess.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not at all. It's like a Director's Cut version, you'll see a few extra frames here and there.

Everyone who says it's MUH ESSENTIAL is a retard, it doesn't change the game in any meaningful way. The main things wrong with it are still wrong, but overall it's still a great game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think I played through Kotor 2 two or three times, vanilla only, so it's definitely not a shitshow.

scytheavatar

Scholar
because that is what I've been told was the best intended experience of the game.

It is not, anyone who told you that has no idea what he is talking about. If it is intended then why did the devs cut it out from the final product? Obviously the content was cut because the devs felt they were not up to the required standards.

Fink

Educated
I played KotOR 2 once, without the mod. Thought it was great. So, I don't think the mod is integral to the experience.

No mod ever is, imo.

ind33d

Learned
droid factory is trash but you're wrong not to install it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It’s not needed in the strictest sense, but some absolutely defining moments make no kinda sense without the mod

Mauman

Learned
because that is what I've been told was the best intended experience of the game.

It is not, anyone who told you that has no idea what he is talking about. If it is intended then why did the devs cut it out from the final product? Obviously the content was cut because the devs felt they were not up to the required standards.
It wasn't cut due to the devs feeling it "wasn't up to standards". It was cut because Lucasarts made them release it way too early.

Hell, Obsidian tried to release a post-launch patch to rectify this and LA shot it down.

Say what you want, but the game with most of the restored content (I won't assume all of it) was the way the game was intended to be played by the devs. What we got (while still pretty good) was a result of corporate greed and stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less.

scytheavatar

Scholar

It wasn't cut due to the devs feeling it "wasn't up to standards". It was cut because Lucasarts made them release it way too early.

Hell, Obsidian tried to release a post-launch patch to rectify this and LA shot it down.

Say what you want, but the game with most of the restored content (I won't assume all of it) was the way the game was intended to be played by the devs. What we got (while still pretty good) was a result of corporate greed and stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less.

It was unfinished and still remains unfinished with the mods. Cause all the mods does is restore content which the devs never was able to finish. The intention of the devs is to take away those content cause they can't finish them.

Cutting content happens all the time in game development and to claim devs shouldn't have the power and rights to cut content is insane.

Mauman

Learned

It was unfinished and still remains unfinished with the mods. Cause all the mods does is restore content which the devs never was able to finish. The intention of the devs is to take away those content cause they can't finish them.

Cutting content happens all the time in game development and to claim devs shouldn't have the power and rights to cut content is insane.
I never said that. Did you read anything I posted?

The PUBLISHER forced it. Not the devs.

The devs tried to fix it post-launch. The PUBLISHER stopped it.

Seriously, what the fuck.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So KOTOR 2 is a game that I've only ever played with the restored content mod, multiple times, because that is what I've been told was the best intended experience of the game. Each time, I've noticed that my least favorite content in the game is usually something that was added by the mod (for example: Padawan Kaevee, the HK factory level, and other certain dialogues/scenes that feel unfinished/incomplete). It seems to me that the mod doesn't have a consistent quality standard, and they just tried to restore as much as they possibly could. For every interesting thing it adds, it adds another thing that is confusing or unnecessary. I've been thinking that the next time I play KOTOR 2, I'll give it a go vanilla (PC) just to see if TSLRCM is actually all that "essential" to the experience. Something tells me the vanilla game isn't nearly as much of a shitshow as people make it out to be on the internet. So I return to the question in the title - for those of you who have played both with and without TSLRCM, how integral is it to your enjoyment of the game? Is it simply a "nice to have" or will you never play without it again? Am I completely wrong in my assumption that the vanilla game is probably completely fine and enjoyable?
Did they ever fix the dreaded "Return to the Dantooine Jedi Enclave" permanent load screen bug?
Had it happen once or twice during a playthrough, only way to progress through the game is to teleport yourself with the console near the Enclave (after you have either killed or convinced the Jedi Masters to meet you here).

scytheavatar

Scholar

I never said that. Did you read anything I posted?

The PUBLISHER forced it. Not the devs.

The devs tried to fix it post-launch. The PUBLISHER stopped it.

Seriously, what the fuck.

And did you read what I posted? The content is incomplete and the restoration mod does not complete it. This is just copium from the fans to think that they can fight against gravity.

Always play with the restoration mod. There's a tweaks submod that removes the poorly implemented padawan thief in the jedi enclave ruins, and as for the HK factory after one playthrough of it I find it to be very bloated for little payoff. However I think if you don't do HK's mission to track the assassin droids you can skip it on subsequent playthroughs though I'm not 100% certain on that.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it was cut for a reason. when i were a bairn who was super duper invested in da sw lore (cringe times indeed) i obsessed over this crap. replaying kotor2 years later when i had my cringe surgically removed already was pain with the fucking restoration mod. it's superficial, needless, gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom