Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotick wants to sell fucking cutscenes

Suchy

Arcane
http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1120940p1.html
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said it's likely his company will begin selling in-engine cutscenes as full movies in the near future.

Speaking today at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference in California, Kotick said StarCraft II's in-game cinematics are so good that the publisher could edit them into one film and distribute it to fans digitally, a move, he said, is likely to happen sometime in the next five years.

"If we were to take that hour, or hour an a half, and take it out of the game and we were to go to our audiences, who we have their credit card information a direct relationship, and say to them 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?'

Kotick continued to say he believes his business model is superior to that of current film studios, saying a StarCraft movie distributed by the publisher would crush any opening weekend box office record ever.

"My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever," he said.

"Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. It might be in a partnership with somebody or alone, but there will be a time where we'll capitalize on the relationship we have with our audience; deliver them something that is really extraordinary and let them consume it directly through us instead of theatrical distribution.

"If we were to deliver a film digitally this way, I'd say an extremely high percentage would then go to the theater and watch it again."
What the fuck?! :retarded:

:x

And you know what...the sheeple will gladly pay for this.
And you dumbfucks will keep praising Blizzard.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
"My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever," he said.

Is he fucking retarded? Who is gonna pay 20-30 bucks to watch a movie at home when you could pay 10 bucks to see it in a huge-ass theatre with a gigantic screen and superb audio playback.

Suchy

Arcane
Kingston said:

Is he fucking retarded? Who is gonna pay 20-30 bucks to watch a movie at home when you could pay 10 bucks to see it in a huge-ass theatre with a gigantic screen and superb audio playback.
Consoletards.

I would totally pay extra money to Mr. Kotick to strip out all of that annoying last-gen gameplay in SC2 so I could focus on the excellent plot, dialog, and characters.

:roll:

He is simply taking the popamole consoletard genre to it's next logical step in it's evolution. The complete removal of any playable content, while the industry has been heading this way for quite some time it takes a true greedy bastard to take it this far, and a genius to make people buy it, I can but salute the man and go purchase some shares in Activision. :salute:

Silellak

Cipher
I've already pre-ordered the Blu-ray release of Diablo 3: The Re-cashening.

:thumbsup:

Uh, I mean, fuck this shit.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Bobby bobby bobby... karma is gonna bite you in the ass with these continued businesses practices. I know for a fact that i will be avoiding ANY product he manages to get his hands on.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Uh... it's nothing new.

Final Fantasy games have had their CGs and cutscenes cobbled together and sold on DVDs as video for years now.

Achilles

Arcane
Meh, most games today are already just a series of cutscenes with barely any interaction. If they add some quick-time events to the movies ("press >> to dodge!") then they can ditch consoles completely and offer "gaming" through the DVD/Blu-ray player.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Terrible idea, methinks -- It would never sell. As odd as it may sound, people are willing to buy interactive movies like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc... largely because they have 'some' interactive elements and still remain video games. The moment that they remove the interactive elements completely, it ceases to be an interactive movie, and becomes just a regular movie. And when you get critics like Ebert reviewing this stuff, they're gonna get ripped to shreds.

Interactive movies often succeed because they manage to avoid comparisons to real film. This stuff won't have that luxury.

DriacKin said:
Terrible idea, methinks -- It would never sell. As odd as it may sound, people are willing to buy interactive movies like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc... largely because they have 'some' interactive elements and still remain video games. The moment that they remove the interactive elements completely, it ceases to be an interactive movie, and becomes just a regular movie. And when you get critics like Ebert reviewing this stuff, they're gonna get ripped to shreds.

Interactive movies often succeed because they manage to avoid comparisons to real film. This stuff won't have that luxury.

Thats a valid and good point, movie critics are generally speaking much better than their counter parts in games to make out what is good and what is not. You never see any (serious) movie critics go "omg best movie evar" at some random summer block buster, but instead reserve such praise for movies that are actually genuinely good. Of course even with out the 10/10 best game evar reviews the hype machine itself and marketing might actually sell it. Though we shall see.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said it's likely his company will begin selling in-engine cutscenes as full movies in the near future.

Looks like Kotick finally decided to follow Bioware's and Obsidian's business model

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Kingston said:

Is he fucking retarded? Who is gonna pay 20-30 bucks to watch a movie at home when you could pay 10 bucks to see it in a huge-ass theatre with an obnoxious audience eating crunchy stuff, tons of advertisements and too loud audio playback.
Fixed

baronjohn

Cipher
Who gives a shit? Seriously, stop posting about this guy. Just fucking stop it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think the most offending element here, and the one being ignored the most, is that he's talking about using the Starcraft II engine for the cut scenes. The entire fucking point of cut scenes is to get a cinematic view of the game, either using live footage or detailed GCI. Engine cut scenes were introduced as a way for ghetto developers to have cinematic elements at a low cost. Who the fuck wants to look at them for their own sake?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom