Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KoF XIII is coming

KalosKagathos

Learned
Two new mechanics:
1. Something called Neo Max. Seems to be a super-er move that has to be canceled from regular supers and does very unimpressive damage for massive amounts of both gauges it depletes. I don't think we'll be seeing much of it in actual matches.
2. Chin Gentsai has the power of booze on his side:
100422_K09.jpg

Note the flask counter to the right of his super meter.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
KalosKagathos said:
Two new mechanics:
1. Something called Neo Max. Seems to be a super-er move that has to be canceled from regular supers and does very unimpressive damage for massive amounts of both gauges it depletes. I don't think we'll be seeing much of it in actual matches.
Well, then we better hope most of the moves look cool so you use them for showmanship. I often do that (I have a compulsion to end matches in a cool fashion, ever since Street Fighter 2 got the super move finish screens). At least Ash's Neo Max move looks pretty cool.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Totally doesn't bring back the old palette swap days.
KoF XIII: Old-school in more ways than one.

K' was added to the official website. Thankfully, he's not Kyo's palette swap. It's almost a given that Maxima is one of his teammates, but I wonder if the third NESTS character is really Kula, as most people think.

Rolladie

Novice
I wonder how long it took them to get Mai's tit swing right...

ALSO still trying to figure out which one is a pallet swap.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's only Hwa Jai. The only other thing even close to such a thing is Vice's and Mature's outstretched leg.

And it's easy to forgive things like this for SNK, since Hwa and Joe will most likely still have different animations otherwise and play differently, not to mention that they're relatively small.

EDIT: I also love the sunglasses they gave K' in his new sprite.

KalosKagathos

Learned
kdash_01.gif

Why the hell is his crotch less armored than the rest of his lower body?

EDIT: And the reason I'm wondering about Kula is because most of the teams included in XIII are back to their original configurations.

KalosKagathos

Learned
So I've fired up KoF XI for the first time in a while, and...

ragel.jpg

ARGH, MAGAKI!

trancee.jpg

At one point I dared to throw out a Thermidor. He immediately teleports right in my face, does his knockback special, then his pink psychedelic background super FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

backstabi.jpg

What is this, Touhou? TELEPORTING PROJECTILES DOING 180 TURNS TO HIT ASS AND LEG OH GOD ITS AN SNK BOSS!

At least hero team's ending is funny as hell and completely worth the headache. All things considered, I hope XIII will something similar at the end. This generation fighting game bosses have been kinda boring so far.

Phelot

Arcane
I remember the old stats for a lot of the characters had over the top hobbies and stuff like knitting and taking care of bunnies.

KalosKagathos

Learned
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... character/
MAXIMA, FUCK YEAH! Bow before the power of manly sideburns!

Two more things I noticed:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... index.html
1. They changed the default button layout from

BCD
A

to

AC
BD

How are you supposed to do Ash's Sans-Culotte (the input is still A, B, C, D) now? Sure, you can move the thumb while you're pressing C, but it's still kinda awkward.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... index.html
2. Magaki and Shion are in, although it's unclear whether they are (mid-)bosses or just NPCs appearing in cut scenes.

phelot said:
I remember the old stats for a lot of the characters had over the top hobbies and stuff like knitting and taking care of bunnies.
http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/englis ... /index.php

Vaarna_Aarne

Luckily you can change the default layout to the old one yourself.

And it's awesome to see HD Maxima.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, Seth (since there aren't really any others worth mentioning) just isn't ITZ enough. The (only?) good thing about SNK bosses is that they feel like ITZ.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Capcom promised to improve Seth's AI in Super (in the vanilla SFIV the idiot always falls for sweep->backdash->block->sweep spam), but I haven't tried it yet.

I found Unlimited Ragna in BlazBlue to be quite difficult. Granted, most of the challenge comes from his silly supers that deal ridiculous amounts of damage (and restore about 33% of the bastard's own lifebar), but it's still a fun fight. He's no Igniz, but who is?

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, my experience with the improved Seth AI is that it just doesn't make impossible throw specials at every turn.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Changes to Team Japan:

Kyo - got a new command move; can do his super in mid-air; EX 212 Shiki has no dash, but can't be blocked; his Neo Max is a projectile.

Benimaru - got an air throw and a command grab; the EX version of the grab works on opponents lying on the ground; EX lightning bolt hits the opponent instead of Beni; his Neo Max is a lightning bolt that can be thrown at various angles.

Goro - increased range on standing A; got back his anti-air command move and SRK + B/D; some of his EX moves catch falling opponents; his Neo Max is a counter.

Kyo looks scary. A mid-air super with a huge hitbox in a game with no air blocking? Ouch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom