Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

mytgroo

Scholar
Download Site

Is there some place other than Mediafire to download the Knights of the Chalice demo. My machine has some security issues with the site. They can't have my cookies and milk.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Blackadder said:
Please name me ONE CRPG that implements the ruleset entirely?

Ok, now that you cannot do that,

Quick in making assumptions, eh? You want 1 CRPG? I give you 2!
How about Arcanum? (can I get my codex cred now, now that I mentioned it?)
How about Fallout? (wow moar codex cred)
Both had their entire ruleset implemented I presume?

But with CRPG you probably meant DnD CRPG, huh? Yes no DnD CRPG used the entire ruleset, especially not every single spell or feat or stuff like grappling.

even after thinking through all of the crappy full priced games from big developers you have no doubt bought,

More clever assumptions! And an offense here on teh Codex to boot! To appear as if you actually were smart and a true Codex Elite <s>Hardcore </s> Oldskool Gamer you now have to call me ESF-er, doubt my reading comprehension while displaying none of your own, tell me that I miss the point while it's apparent you never hit a point in your entire life, accuse me of passing my opinions as facts and then proceed to pass your opinions as facts and frequently post lulzy pics, because this helps to emphasize what a clever smartass you are.

The last full priced game (I payed the full price, did I?) I bought 2 days ago - without demoing - was Knights of the Chalice fyi, to show the Dev my appreciation for making a DnD indie CRPG.

let me know why it is so bad that the entire ruleset, which isn't available in the open set anyway (therefore it would break copyright laws), is not implemented in a game that would be, for you, $20-25 and made by one person?

A case of massive brainfart? If you really want to belong to teh Codex Mental Titans you should learn to display a certain minor "reading comprehension" at all times. And maybe you should make less assumptions, because you suck at it, and focus more on the things actually said.
I never said or meant or implied that it was that bad. Or that the game sucks or that I hate the developer or any of the other inane bullshit people like you love doing so passionately on this site.

What I said was:
I do miss skills, I mean AoO are in but Tumble is not? Meh.

Confused? I bet.
But to show you what a nice guy I am, I'm going to explain it to you in detail.
The first part "I do miss skills" means that I missed the skills at character creation - something that I expect to find there in a 3.5ed DnD CRPG.
Before you enter your fanboy nerdrage again hold on a second. It does not mean: Gaem haz no skillz, dis gaem suxx0rz!!1! My judgement about the game I will reserve until I played it, so far I only installed and rolled up a party while experiencing a physically painful font to my old eyes. First I will finish the game I'm currently playing and only then I will see how the whole missing-skills-matter turns out in practice.

On to the second part "I mean AoO are in but Tumble is not". The astute reader might notice how these words actually do contain an example why missing skills might be a problem. 3rd edition introduced Attacks of Opportunity, quite a dangerous - possibly lethal - thing. They also introduced the Tumble skill, a way to avoid said AoOs or at least lessen the pain. Can you see how those 2 things somehow belong to each other? How the absence of tumble might cause an imbalance by overpowering AoOs? Sorry that I dared to mention a possible flaw in your beloved indie game. Again.
The last part "Meh" is merely an expression of dissatisfaction with the whole missing skills thing. Yeah I'd prefer them to be in. There I did it again! Feel free to direct your raging fanboyism at me, I dissed ur indie gaem!

I hope I cleared that up for you now, any more questions? Something you didn't understand?

In any case,
I played NWN2, BG series, TOEE, (insert any other DnD computer RPG)
fucking hardcore

and none of them have made as much use of various options as this game.
If true - very good. I will see.
Would be even better with skillz huh? :oops:

The AI in particular is a real bastard to beat, not only because the encounters have some tough enemies, the resting is more realistic

I consider myself lucky that I regularly play golden oldies though. If I hadn't, it would have taken me some time to come to grips with the learning curve again, which mainly means extra thought when playing.

I would finish with a lulzy pic but unfortunately I don't have a lulzy pic folder. I leave that to you kids as you seem to draw a lot of fun out of this. Congrats that you haven't been forced to put up the effort of extra thought though.
So how about you post a lulzy pic for me?

Gwendo

Augur
There's no tumble, but at leat you can take a 5-foot-step, that doesn't trigger AoOs.

protobob

Liturgist
If you are worried about AoO yo could pick mobility feat. And dodge seems to give you a flat +1 AC at any time, which makes it suck less than it usually does.

Bet yes the truth is none of the classes included, except for possibly the wizard, would have much use for skills.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Blackadder said:
Please name me ONE CRPG that implements the ruleset entirely?

Ok, now that you cannot do that,

Quick in making assumptions, eh? You want 1 CRPG? I give you 2!
How about Arcanum? (can I get my codex cred now, now that I mentioned it?)
How about Fallout? (wow moar codex cred)
Both had their entire ruleset implemented I presume?

But with CRPG you probably meant DnD CRPG, huh? Yes no DnD CRPG used the entire ruleset, especially not every single spell or feat or stuff like grappling.

even after thinking through all of the crappy full priced games from big developers you have no doubt bought,

More clever assumptions! And an offense here on teh Codex to boot! To appear as if you actually were smart and a true Codex Elite <s>Hardcore </s> Oldskool Gamer you now have to call me ESF-er, doubt my reading comprehension while displaying none of your own, tell me that I miss the point while it's apparent you never hit a point in your entire life, accuse me of passing my opinions as facts and then proceed to pass your opinions as facts and frequently post lulzy pics, because this helps to emphasize what a clever smartass you are.

The last full priced game (I payed the full price, did I?) I bought 2 days ago - without demoing - was Knights of the Chalice fyi, to show the Dev my appreciation for making a DnD indie CRPG.

let me know why it is so bad that the entire ruleset, which isn't available in the open set anyway (therefore it would break copyright laws), is not implemented in a game that would be, for you, $20-25 and made by one person?

A case of massive brainfart? If you really want to belong to teh Codex Mental Titans you should learn to display a certain minor "reading comprehension" at all times. And maybe you should make less assumptions, because you suck at it, and focus more on the things actually said.
I never said or meant or implied that it was that bad. Or that the game sucks or that I hate the developer or any of the other inane bullshit people like you love doing so passionately on this site.

What I said was:
I do miss skills, I mean AoO are in but Tumble is not? Meh.

Confused? I bet.
But to show you what a nice guy I am, I'm going to explain it to you in detail.
The first part "I do miss skills" means that I missed the skills at character creation - something that I expect to find there in a 3.5ed DnD CRPG.
Before you enter your fanboy nerdrage again hold on a second. It does not mean: Gaem haz no skillz, dis gaem suxx0rz!!1! My judgement about the game I will reserve until I played it, so far I only installed and rolled up a party while experiencing a physically painful font to my old eyes. First I will finish the game I'm currently playing and only then I will see how the whole missing-skills-matter turns out in practice.

On to the second part "I mean AoO are in but Tumble is not". The astute reader might notice how these words actually do contain an example why missing skills might be a problem. 3rd edition introduced Attacks of Opportunity, quite a dangerous - possibly lethal - thing. They also introduced the Tumble skill, a way to avoid said AoOs or at least lessen the pain. Can you see how those 2 things somehow belong to each other? How the absence of tumble might cause an imbalance by overpowering AoOs? Sorry that I dared to mention a possible flaw in your beloved indie game. Again.
The last part "Meh" is merely an expression of dissatisfaction with the whole missing skills thing. Yeah I'd prefer them to be in. There I did it again! Feel free to direct your raging fanboyism at me, I dissed ur indie gaem!

I hope I cleared that up for you now, any more questions? Something you didn't understand?

In any case,
I played NWN2, BG series, TOEE, (insert any other DnD computer RPG)
fucking hardcore

and none of them have made as much use of various options as this game.

The AI in particular is a real bastard to beat, not only because the encounters have some tough enemies, the resting is more realistic

I consider myself lucky that I regularly play golden oldies though. If I hadn't, it would have taken me some time to come to grips with the learning curve again, which mainly means extra thought when playing.

I would finish with a lulzy pic but unfortunately I don't have a lulzy pic folder. I leave that to you kids as you seem to draw a lot of fun out of this. Congrats that you haven't been forced to put up the effort of extra thought though.
So how about you post a lulzy pic for me?

Yes, I must be a successful smartarse to make you throw off a rant like this. Careful with that blood pressure though.

Yes, there are no computer games that implement the full DnD skillset. Thank you.

Did you pay full price for KotC? You don't make much sense when it comes to your answer here. What was the last DnD game you bought before this one? What did you think of it?

AoO's and Tumble; I never had a problem with 2nd edition. It had AoO's but no tumble, and no 5 foot step. In other words, I don't miss it or need it to lessen the impact to make the game enjoyable. Give the game a shot first and see.

I will fly past the rest of the waffle to your question "but it would be better with skills". Not necessarily. Too many games have a heap of skills that are useless within the gaming engine, or the campaign provided. This means that the player must know how to play from other gamers before they play themselves. I would prefer that a game allows good use of as many skills as possible, but not to include them if they do not work/don't fit into the campaign/are a point sink that too many games have had in the past.

Just take 5 seconds before posting now.

Anyone know where the Frost Giants are? I used the diplomatic option (by bullshitting that I was an emissary of the Fire Giant king) with the Hill Giant king and I can't find where the Frosties are. On one hand, I could be missing something (which would be cool...lack of hand-holding is a plus), but on the other hand, I may have missed out on a vital key or letter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Anyone know where the Frost Giants are? I used the diplomatic option (by bullshitting that I was an emissary of the Fire Giant king) with the Hill Giant king and I can't find where the Frosties are. On one hand, I could be missing something (which would be cool...lack of hand-holding is a plus), but on the other hand, I may have missed out on a vital key or letter.

I don't remember who exactly had it, but in the dungeons below the hill giant fortress you can find a scroll written in the giants' language. After taking it to the translator-mage in the village it's revealed to be a scroll of teleportation that he can use to transfer you to the frost giant lair.

Luzur

Good Sir
Edward_R_Murrow said:

what? how did you get into their lair? the entrance is barriered and the back way is guarded by those hard fucks. :x

how do you beat them? nothing i have works.

Darth Roxor said:
I don't remember who exactly had it, but in the dungeons below the hill giant fortress you can find a scroll written in the giants' language. After taking it to the translator-mage in the village it's revealed to be a scroll of teleportation that he can use to transfer you to the frost giant lair.

It wasn't that letter about expanding the tunnels that said it was "unimportant" in the description, was it? If so...it's time to learn how to edit my savegame.

Luzur said:
what? how did you get into their lair? the entrance is barriered and the back way is guarded by those hard fucks. :x

Really? I avoided the babaus on my way into the back door, killed the guy who sounds the alarm in the tower, and then went around stealth-killing some sleeping giants. Maybe you triggered the alarm?

Luzur

Good Sir
Really? I avoided the babaus on my way into the back door, killed the guy who sounds the alarm in the tower, and then went around stealth-killing some sleeping giants. Maybe you triggered the alarm?

avoid? how? do they patrol? i tried entering from both directions (the big entrance on the east side and the smaller one from the south). and it was always auto battle with those demons.

im level 10 but nothing hits those things hard enough.

getter77

Augur
-Check their profile and you should notice their weakness(es) on the Babaus.

-No worries on that "unimportant tunnel" one...you'll know it when you find it and I think it might get a journal entru upon discovery viewable by the J key.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
It wasn't that letter about expanding the tunnels that said it was "unimportant" in the description, was it? If so...it's time to learn how to edit my savegame.

Nope, that letter really is unimportant. There's another letter somewhere out there called 'scroll', which is 'written in another language that you can't decipher' or something like that. From the top of my head, I think it could be either in the jail where you free a mob of orc slaves and then you're ambushed by some giants or somewhere near the encounters with dragons.

almondblight

Arcane
Re: Download Site

mytgroo said:
Is there some place other than Mediafire to download the Knights of the Chalice demo. My machine has some security issues with the site. They can't have my cookies and milk.

Same here, sites blocked here, anywhere else I can go?

getter77

Augur
Luzur said:
-Check their profile and you should notice their weakness(es) on the Babaus.

the ingame profile? ive been looking around the net but didnt find any mention of weakness.

Yep, easiest way to figure out the abilities and weaknesses of anything you fight in the game right down to their specific inventory.

felicity

Scholar
They really need to change the font, and use fewer capital letters. Things like this should have gone up in play testing. I wonder why they didn't change it? Ok it's old school but does it justify giving players eye sores? This vague oldschool-ness has no actual benefit to gameplay. I don't even want to touch the demo 'lest I kill my eyes 20 years sooner.

Fezzik

Cipher
almondblight said:
mytgroo said:

Same here, sites blocked here, anywhere else I can go?

I just put the demo up on megaupload. Maybe that'll work for you.

getter77

Augur
felicity said:
They really need to change the font, and use fewer capital letters. Things like this should have gone up in play testing. I wonder why they didn't change it? Ok it's old school but does it justify giving players eye sores? This vague oldschool-ness has no actual benefit to gameplay. I don't even want to touch the demo 'lest I kill my eyes 20 years sooner.

One of those things that is somewhat subjective, but trends open up clearly when exposed to a larger group of folks/setups. As per the official forum, steps are being taken directly so hopefully it'll all work out well in the end---not like the game was DOA or anything.

1eyedking

Erudite
Gameplay video

GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
ENTANGLED
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE
GOOD MORALE

Unbelievably pathetic design. Actions in turns are supposed to happen fast. I CAN TELL THE FUCKING ORCS ARE GETTING BLESSED, DAMMIT. Waiting for that crap to pop up every time you/someone/something casts a spell is decisively annoying.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The game plays much faster than what you can see in the video.

Are you trying to take Skyway's place?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Probably, or maybe the game doesn't like it when you record a video. Also he doesn't use the shortcuts to use the spells fast.

Silellak

Cipher
Gragt said:
The game plays much faster than what you can see in the video.

Are you trying to take Skyway's place?

Well let's see, he's:

1. Bitching about a game...
2. ...that he obviously hasn't played.

I'd vote "yes".

Secretninja

Cipher
No, he is much worse, because everything he says is obnoxiously retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom