Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

The resolution is something that could possibly be upgraded, so anyone that has a problem with it should send him an email. Asking him to change the font or the viewpoint would be pointless however, so send as a suggestion for his next game if it bothers you that much.

Gwendo

Augur
So far, the game is great. Sure the font could be easier to the eyes, but everything else is good. A little bit on the tough side, but without cheating AI.

I like the view (I love Ultima games), there's no problem for me in that. I found out that playing in windowed mode, doube the resolution, makes reading easier, without the graphics stretching.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well this is simply the best implementation of D&D 3.5 turn based combat rules in any video games ever produced, attack of opportunities, charge, bull rush, grapple... everything is in there. How come we never heard much about his game ? even the IA is good.
Its true an higher resolution and font could be better for my old eyes, on the lcd screens a 320X240 resolution is strectched and blurry, but then again its indie, its already quite above other rpgs, we can always wish for more.
On the plus side, the landscape is very well done with bugs , animals , weather conditions, day and night cycle.
I played the gold box games again recently and i can tell you appreciate knight of chalice interface after this, its way more friendly, shortcuts everywhere just click on your character, even more strategic options, inventories similar to eye of the beholder.
A true gem ill buy once i am back from work.

Inane questions get the job done.

16i8ln9.gif

youhomofo

Augur
All you folks complaining about the font, set the game to windowed mode. I know it's a sacrifice, but I think it's worth it just to avoid the headache that text creates.

Panthera

Scholar
Wow. I played the demo for a bit and it had already had its fishhooks in my brain. I couldn't go to sleep; I just kept thinking about it. I ended up buying it and creating a party. What a delightfully pure design! It's all the crunchy feel of old-school D&D married with the better systems of 3.5.

The Ultima view normally makes me sick, but I think the stubby walls go a long way to mitigating that.

Suchy

Arcane
OK, how's the story and dialogue? Not gonna bother for combat only, especially D&D combat...

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Blackadder said:
The resolution is something that could possibly be upgraded, so anyone that has a problem with it should send him an email. Asking him to change the font or the viewpoint would be pointless however, so send as a suggestion for his next game if it bothers you that much.

Actually, there was a more readable font before, if you check older screenshots. But they thought it didn't cry OLD SCHOOL loud enough.

Silellak

Cipher
Yeah, my only real complaint about the demo is the font. Even in Windowed mode, it's just a pain in the ass to read.

Not a game-breaker, but it'd be nice if the option was there to change it. I'll have to keep this game in mind for a rainy day when I'm bored and feel like I have nothing new to play.

deuxhero

Arcane
I spent a good amount of time figureing out the controls. I still don't know how I got into the level up menu before I cancled and it isn't in the read me.Edit:So you click the little * next to the name in the upper right.

I pay little attention to graphics, but these acctualy hurt to look at. , who the hell decided to use the 3/4 angle, but make the angle to the right?

You are told to cast light when you find the underground area, but your cleric doesn't start with it prepared and there is nowhere to rest and prepare it?

I like the 3.5 combat though.

protobob

Liturgist
Great game, bought the full version.

Random thoughts:

Initiative is vital in this game. Having your wizard get to go before the enemies is a great advantage.
A 20 STR Mul Knight with a greatsword is good stuff.
Healing Wands are a godsend for healing up after battles.
Crafting system is nice, made +1 weapons for everyone.

youhomofo

Augur
I've only played the demo, but if it's at all indicative of the game the dialog is decent. Again, no Planescape, but there are several encounters throughout the demo dungeon in which you interact with characters. This game does not appear to be just a hack & slash dungeon romp.

However, there is one huge problem with the initial dungeon. Any of you get down to the second level? There are two stairways, whichever you take leads you to an almost impossible fight in which it's entirely possible your party will be wiped before you ever get a turn.

That's not cool at all. I love a challenge, but this isn't a skill-based challenge, it's all luck-based. I have to go down the stairs, reload, go down the stairs, reload over and over just to have my party survive long enough for me to get a turn in. And even then it's usually over. My party starts in a corner surrounded by trolls. The troll shaman instantly silences them all. Two trolls rush in, instantly killing my wizard and severely injuring my knight, all before I get a chance to take a swing.

Elhoim said:
Blackadder said:

Actually, there was a more readable font before, if you check older screenshots. But they thought it didn't cry OLD SCHOOL loud enough.

The font doesn't bother me, being as it is straight from the gold box games. The resolution would help a lot of people with it though. It is rather large on a 19 inch monitor. I can only imagine the size on one of these newer LCD things.

youhomofo said:
I've only played the demo, but if it's at all indicative of the game the dialog is decent. Again, no Planescape, but there are several encounters throughout the demo dungeon in which you interact with characters. This game does not appear to be just a hack & slash dungeon romp.

However, there is one huge problem with the initial dungeon. Any of you get down to the second level? There are two stairways, whichever you take leads you to an almost impossible fight in which it's entirely possible your party will be wiped before you ever get a turn.

That's not cool at all. I love a challenge, but this isn't a skill-based challenge, it's all luck-based. I have to go down the stairs, reload, go down the stairs, reload over and over just to have my party survive long enough for me to get a turn in. And even then it's usually over. My party starts in a corner surrounded by trolls. The troll shaman instantly silences them all. Two trolls rush in, instantly killing my wizard and severely injuring my knight, all before I get a chance to take a swing.

That one was harsh. Thankfully my mage has excellent initiative so usually gets the first turn. Otherwise, it is like many old school games; sometimes there is a real bitch of a battle. If you find yourself getting frustrated for too long, walk away from the game and try again later. I cannot count the amount of times this has worked once you have a fresh mind for details.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
youhomofo said:

If you think the troll fight is so hard, try the other stairway B) First, you fall down a point of no return, which leaves all your characters bleeding and at like 1/3 hp, you're surprised and quickly surrounded by 2 zombies, 4 skeletons and 2 mummies, and one of the mummies ALWAYS casts slow on your party when it's its first turn, which leaves you on the bottom of the initiative list and with half of action points.

And hohoho, it gets even better later. Just when you thought it's the most racist encounter in the demo, you find an empty room with a pentagram in the middle. When you enter the pentagram, a lich, 2 mummies, 4 pumped up skeletons, 2 zombies and 2 ghouls appear. If you don't get a lucky initiative roll and make your wizard cast haste at the start, you're pretty much fucked. You're also pretty much fucked if the lich starts casting. It has Circle of Death that kills off your whole party more often than not, empowered ice storm that does about 40 damage to each party member, disintegrate which does about 70 and empowered acid ray, which is the only sucky spell. Have fun taking all this shit out, when the ghouls can paralyze ya, and the mummies keep spamming BESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSEBESTOWCURSE. But I did. Barely, but I did. And nobody died. Even though I raged a lot and had to reload like a dozen times. It was fucking awesome B)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom