Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I personally just don't like the tokens. I would have preferred if he found some way to stick with the old sprites and art-style of KOTC1 and improved them somewhat with some better, simple animations for attacking and casting and what not.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
is the inventory clunky or am I drunk already ? I have troubles drawing equipmen in the inventoty slots

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its all nice , problem is you cant publlsh an official module with those. Too many copyright infringments to list.

Can't publish a module that's sold as DLC under Pierre's profit split model, but you can publish a free module without problem.

Reinhardt

Arcane
who cares. i will probably be the only person who will ever play shit i'm trying to make. i make it for myself, stuffing things i personally like.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Its all nice , problem is you cant publlsh an official module with those. Too many copyright infringments to list.

Can't publish a module that's sold as DLC under Pierre's profit split model, but you can publish a free module without problem.
Sure thing hundreds of hours of work , completely free of charge , for a few brofists.

Yes.

https://www.doomworld.com/files/

https://www.quaddicted.com/

https://neverwintervault.org/

https://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/

https://www.twcenter.net/

https://www.trle.net/

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yes the do. There is potential in tokens but the ones in KotC2 are mediocre. The fact that they make the battlefield easier to read (they do) has nothing to do with their prettiness. You can have the ugliest tokens you can imagine but as long as you can tell what is what at first glance, they will have the same effect.

But the reviewer's problem was with the idea of tokens themselves: "watching a bunch of pucks sliding across the surface". I hard disagree with that criticism.
Yes, I agree. Even worse than that, probably most of his readers share this view even without the author having to tell them. That's why, unfortunately for him, Pierre made a bad decision early in development, from financial pov. A few people (like you) like the tokens, a few others (like me) accept the idea and play because tokens are more practical. Most people out there doesn't and won't. At least not for a genre that is supposed to be "immersive" for some reason. A puzzle game, a wargame... But a genre where people romances are one of the most important feature? You can't romance a token.
If any lesson is to be learnt here for others: If you want to sell a crpg - don't do tokens. At least I would take that lesson. But i'm not planning to make a game.

I'm sorry for another rant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
You can't romance a token.

My custom token here disagrees :M
babe4.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Sure thing hundreds of hours of work , completely free of charge , for a few brofists.

Yes.

https://www.doomworld.com/files/

https://www.quaddicted.com/

https://neverwintervault.org/

https://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/

https://www.twcenter.net/

https://www.trle.net/
The whole genre of classic roguelikes and similar games is mostly free. In the last decade some games were made as commercial projects but it still mostly holds true. I don't only mean week-long projects with the simplest ASCII but also games that required years of work.

is the inventory clunky or am I drunk already ? I have troubles drawing equipmen in the inventoty slots
You might be drunk, we can't know, but you are also correct. It seems that the areas you need to drag an item to or click aren't identical (or are smaller) than the buttons you see on screen. I just have to do it slightly more precisely that in most other programs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The module maker is so easy to use! Are you allowed to make anything you want or is licensing a concern? I wouldn't mind making an Eye of the Beholder 2 remake or something.

Tolias

Educated
OK I just reached the encounter with the bi@tch that summons Fizzarmelech and it is kicking my ass.
Difficulty is hard. Party is level 9:

Cloudtop giant fighter. Mostly focused on tripping things with a reach stick and beating ass. And shooting people.

High elf rogue. Opens doors I guess. Occasionally will get a good flank attack in.

Dwarf samurai. Also beats ass and shoots people.

Storm Warrior water elemental npc. Casts stuff and beats dudes. The swimming thing has been useful.

Mantis druid aeromancer. Casts stuff, mostly wind and lightnings.

Argossian human bishop. Healbot. Surprisingly good with smite. Tried to focus on turning, but turning is meh. Domains: Healing, Magic, Reach.

Kobold sorcerer npc. Kind of underwhelming caster. He has variety of spells at least.

Stygian human psion. Blasts and disables all day long. Has really been my favorite part of the playthrough.

Everyone is lvl 9 apart from SW who is 8.

OK the issue I'm having with the fight is that the difficulty jumped about a whole league upwards suddenly? I did pretty much every extra quest/encounter possible (apart from killing the hags so far) and going from the lizardman king to fighting 50 enemies with more than a dozen spell-casters is kinda overkill???

Ofc I am attempting the fight with surprise round + spider wizard.

I can get some good AoE in, like resilient webs, insect plague, psi fog, holy smites, energy blasts, fireballs. The big winner is Chaos cast by the spider bro, which can reliably berserk 10+ dudes who will start beating their friends. I can kill like 20 enemies in the first wave. The first problem is Fizzarmelech. He is immune to so much stuff. I can't reliably manage him for more than 3 turns. At some point he will start throwing his aoe bullshit and wreck my stuff. Similarly, I can't disable or silence ALL the enemy casters, which means that sooner rather than later the stuff that is keeping me alive is getting dispelled (webs, instect plague, berserk) OR I am getting pelted with some aoe. I can't take the time to protect against all possible elements... plus only two of my casters have Mass Prot/Energy, something I am deeply regretting now.

Ok I feel better now that I wrote this.

WHAT the fuck can I do to make this fight more manageable? I have tried to retreat to the small room behind the corridor, but a couple of people inevitably get left behind...

Pls NO SPOILERS for content after Fizzarmelech if you reply to this!

jungl

Augur
read 3-4 or those high level scrolls you been collecting. its better to initially blast and kill as much stuff as you can then disable a manageable small amount of enemies. You can beat the girl before she summons the ice devil. If the devil is summoned you have to get your giant wrestling it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp, the Half-Sal only check was 50 EXP and getting the info that it's really hot down there. No shit. Once you get down there the Salamander boss doesn't even recognize your Sal half. No hapas for him. You do get this:

Half-Sal check.jpg

But not nearly enough reason to go Half-Sal I don't think, although he's done good work. Reach Disarm owns alot of tough things, but don't need Half-Sal for that.

Half Giant will move into that slot. Time to try the Stillfinger Halfling Ranger. Here's what the HG was doing when I restarted. Crit Shot vs Ghost Dragon:

Ranger Crit.jpg

Don't have Force yet and figured out I forgot to pick up Enhance Ability on any of my casters as well. I think Force would add another 12d6?

Here you get an idea of some of the battlefield control Ranger can offer:

Ranger range.jpg

Fired up some Sleep and Glue Arrows on a couple tough fights and really turned the tide.

Speaking of Turning, here's a unique dialogue from Turning Domain:

Turning Domain on ghost.jpg

Can also do this at level one (this is the third turn of the fight):

Improved Turning.jpg

That's with max Elementals for EXP as well. The little Halfling Bishop nuked like eight of them. EDIT: looks like he's level two since I forgot to pick up Improved Turning at character creation. The extra 2d6 is from the Domain so would work on level one as well.

On the next turn the Half-Sal Sam took a five-foot step and Whirlwind killed the Fire Druid and both Scorps thanks to Half-Sal Fire damage. Very good early no doubt.

As for why 22 Search?

Search Check 22.jpg

Thankfully don't need Elf for that since Familiar can get you to 22 then your INT takes care of the rest. Trying a Necro this time. Somebody said something about triggering waves of Undead with the skull in the Second Mission? Haven't been able to do that yet. Skull just crumbles and gives me 2 HP.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well so far aside from crashes and people dying this has been a curbstomp. I did most of the village stuff at level one, then I leveled up to three for the hag cave death snare, ran the sewers through level three until the arena where I leveled everyone up to six and now I'm about to enter chapter 3. I could level everyone to 11 or so now if I wanted to, but I'm holding out until it's absolutely necessary.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Argossian human bishop. Healbot. Surprisingly good with smite. Tried to focus on turning, but turning is meh. Domains: Healing, Magic, Reach.
You probably would do turning better with turning domain, it boosts the damage quite nicely at least early on . But that is in theory, I went with a cleric but this time magic, mystic.

A propos or not, I remember a fun little bug from abandoned playthrough, maybe it's known and certainly is harmless:
In Finchbury, If you pay the spiders to release the boy and THEN return to the cave and kill the spiders, the boys becoming free scene plays again. Doesn't cause any problems, not even the ability to collect twice the prize.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I personally just don't like the tokens. I would have preferred if he found some way to stick with the old sprites and art-style of KOTC1 and improved them somewhat with some better, simple animations for attacking and casting and what not.

He clearly said it was too expensive to go for animated 2D sprites due to the expanded bestiary.

My custom token here disagrees :M
babe4.png

But which do you prefer, the foot or the brunette?

WHAT the fuck can I do to make this fight more manageable? I have tried to retreat to the small room behind the corridor, but a couple of people inevitably get left behind...

You've probably been hoarding acorns of earthquake, now is the time to use them.
As for the demon, you could focus on pizarra with a disable spell like stinking cloud + a fast fighter to corner her.
I prefer to wait for the ice demon to be summoned for extra xp and loot but then, you'll probably need to flank him, a summon behind is a good idea and a tough fighter/barbarian/DK in front with a skewer weapon.

Skewing is life death!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished third chapter opening battle, took four tries. Burned my acorns and a tornado blast plus one of the druid scrolls I'd been hording, also had to burn a true rez because fuck reloading. I never let Pizzle get the demon summon off, don't care enough about his meager xp or the weapon he drops.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
RE: Ugly tokens

If enough codexers postulate for a joint effort, we could generate a token pack using D&D bestiaries to replace all the uggos bundled with the game while keeping a consistent look. Since it won't be a commercial release, and it'll be adjoined to no one's name, we don't have to worry about its legal status.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You probably would do turning better with turning domain, it boosts the damage quite nicely at least early on . But that is in theory, I went with a cleric but this time magic, mystic.

A propos or not, I remember a fun little bug from abandoned playthrough, maybe it's known and certainly is harmless:
In Finchbury, If you pay the spiders to release the boy and THEN return to the cave and kill the spiders, the boys becoming free scene plays again. Doesn't cause any problems, not even the ability to collect twice the prize.

Not theory here, I've been doing it and very happy with it. The bonus continues to scale throughout the game effectively giving you 1d6 per level instead of every two levels since you get the extra 2d6 right away and making it much more likely you'll beat the save for full damage. No fuss no muss AoE damage and heals up your Elemental/Outsider companions even if you're not fighting any undead, outsiders, elementals, aberrations, constructs, or dragons though those categories cover many of the toughest situations you'll face. Bishop already pwns humanoids pretty well. Bishop only I think tho.

Magic + Turning worked fine (Turning is really good at the hardest early fights and there is some unique diaolgue - Holy Water potions sell for a good bit) picking up Mysticism at lvl five in time for Prayer but this time trying Human Bishop and skipping Magic altogether to get Reach at five and Mysticism at one.

Last edited:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
How close am I to the end? I'm up to the second fight at the castle. Every fight now is taking like 2 hours to do. how many more are there?

Also anyone else getting crashes when you cast the insect swarm spell. Reliably crashes the game for me. Computer will go into 'thinking' and never come out of it. You can still bring up the main menu but the game itself has frozen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom