Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

rojay

Scholar
As some people said, the UI sucks. Not terribly but it does suck a little. Worse than KotC 1 and the fact that KotC 2 is a more complex doesn't explain everything.
Other than the above a i have a blast. I can't remember a game where i had to reload a battle in... tutorial. I think that the initiative plays too big of a role so far but this is a minor complaint. I was able to set up the game so that it opens in a sensible resolution - without the risk of me loosing sight because some Frenchman had too little roots and forgot to add more display options.
The UI is fine.
I was able to set up the game so that it opens in a sensible resolution - without the risk of me loosing sight because some Frenchman had too little roots and forgot to add more display options.

Can you tell me how to do this too?
Fullscreen is constantly crashing. Fixed windowed screen is too uncofmortable for human eyes.
Email Pierre. He'll get back to you.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding the graphic direction: I ended up using token... because just how awful the 3D sprite is. But combining isometric perspective with token also has its issue, namely the perspective is jank.

As people pointed out, having graphic like Low Magic Age (based on TomE guy) is probably infinitely better than whatever the fuck it is now. And if he wants to use token primarily to save cost then making a good 2D map would probably better as well. All in all having the presentation, which can be seen on trailer, sucks balls, coupled with the high price tag in EU probably hampers this game financially.

dacencora

Regarding the graphic direction: I ended up using token... because just how awful the 3D sprite is. But combining isometric perspective with token also has its issue, namely the perspective is jank.

As people pointed out, having graphic like Low Magic Age (based on TomE guy) is probably infinitely better than whatever the fuck it is now. And if he wants to use token primarily to save cost then making a good 2D map would probably better as well. All in all having the presentation, which can be seen on trailer, sucks balls, coupled with the high price tag in EU probably hampers this game financially.
The maps used to be 2D. Did he change them?

Tokens are disgusting, fucking autists. The isometric art style is also pretty crap, first game art style was way better. But ye whatever, game is solid, although he should fix the initiative heavy leaning mechanics.

Tokens are weird because they're round for no reason and they only show the head or upper body of the monster. Meanwhile the isometric seems confusing when it comes to positioning and it's firmly in the uncanny valley of trying to look like the late 1990s but failing at it.

Rectangular / square tiles showing the whole monster like in Low Magic Age would have had all the advantages of tokens, while still allowing it to at least look like a video game in the screenshots.

Speaking of Low Magic Age, I think they started off using some kind of community asset pack too and the portraits are still hideous but by focusing their efforts on improving their tiles they eventually got the game to look unobjectionable, like a browser game or something.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic....91a73ad283c7f8782e36ba59d767d2d.1920x1080.jpg
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic....b8fd6cf21b83c86f913c41acb0a71f2.1920x1080.jpg
yes, I wish some similar looking tokens could eventually end up in this game. There are really good looking tokens on the internet I have seen.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a good game, although the early battles seem suspiciously easy. I took an incomplete party, but even so I'm stomping on everyone. I was very glad to recruit 3 new party members though, because I know that Pierre has a black heart and just wants me to lower my guard so he can murder me later. I have done all the quests around the original town prior to facing the orcs/goblins(?).

i won't even see it in game if playing with tokens
Tokens have so much better look
F*cking grphic whores who wept their eyes out

I'm actually starting to think the tokens look better, although I am still playing with the shit-tier 3d graphics.

EDIT: Also, what sort of sick fuck gives characters starting armour, but the armour has no stats so it's totally useless and you may as well go naked until finding new gear?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Lord above, I forgot what a struggle the second fight with Pizarra can be (the one just after the staircase near the Crones). Just got killed when the last wave of reinforcements arrived after having mullered everyone else.

Fun fight though. Last time I did it I had a paladin (a certain NPC) who summoned the deity avatar which made the fight a lot easier.

I had almost all the enemies nauseated from stinking clouds, and got off two free ones due to high initiative on my wizard (she started first in the round) and a surprise round.

20220326203337_1.jpg

Most OP spell in D&D 3.5
How do I get top-down view?

Bara

Arcane
This is genuinely fun and I'm grateful this game out when it did. Was in another video game rpg funk where I felt like maybe I'm done with games as there not living up to any part of the same fun as table top is.

Than I get my hands on this and hell yeah this rocks.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Only I can't complete any clicker puzzle? I will try reinstall the game.

Disable your AV before reinstalling maybe?
If Pierre put a virus in there or in KotC 1, we would know and I know my AV is always asking me if I really want to install it, yes, I do and way more than any AV!

The tutorial module dungeon of this game is more entertaining that most TB CRPG. Heck most CRPG.
[...] just tumble down the stairs taking 1d6 damage per height unit and you will probably fall 7 times or so.

This was infuriating so I didn't want to spoil, you have to spread the love.
Fortunately, falling down the stairs never killed any of my party members due to the low impact damage but I wonder if you get all the way even after taking enough damage to get unconscious...

Also, there's no such thing in Augury and I'm going to advise Pierre to not implement stairs at all in his future modules, it's alright once, we had a laugh, now the fun is over. The maniac DM thing doesn't have to be pushed this far.

Another memorable one is the optional Cleric recruitment fight who can summon rape tentacle that hit 3 times@30 damage each. It's basically game over if the Cleric got that out. This is I guess is the issue with the initiatives. On 2nd try I got good roll and basically being able to prevent him for casting that easily result in victory.

Final encounter is uh, surprisingly one dimensional. Decided to slap Haste and summon some dwarves as the dialogue choice. This is great btw, a reasonable way to allow prebuffing for combat without diminishing the importance of action economy. Great design. The encounter itself is just about managing the big skeletons who will abuse Slide/Bull Rush to get you to take environment damage and throwing AoE spells to kill the Vampire warlock. The rest is easily manageable.

I didn't have to use the tentacled horror up until the last fight, when the vampires summoned two of them, I found out I could summon one as well, and I did to balance things out, really helped on the northern front.

I picked the no help option to get more xp, as I didn't know it was the final fight and it proved hard enough, lost two or three companions, had to heal a couple of unconscious ones and finally won.
The constant vampires respawn, the horrors and the Vrock made for a real challenge but I killed the "boss" as fast as I could, would have been game over otherwise.

Another fun thing is the one negative review claiming he had to restart the third tutorial fight 10 times to beat it.
Sure, it's harder than any tutorial adventure ever made but there's a fountain which can resurrect/heal 4 times afterward and soon, a cleric NPC to heal/revive.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another fun thing is the one negative review claiming he had to restart the third tutorial fight 10 times to beat it
Mind you, if the smeagols manage to take out the wand of missiles dispenser in the second fight, any other non caster class is fucked unless they get lucky.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never played the tutorial module, I'm now tempted just to see these fights that people keep complaining about.

Sounds like I'm missing some fun.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Mind you, if the smeagols manage to take out the wand of missiles dispenser in the second fight, any other non caster class is fucked unless they get lucky.

I welcome cRPG like this one, Dungeon Rats and Colony Ship where your companions DIE when you stumble on your own feet, it's refreshing.

A real blast from the past.

As a side note, just use the formation thingy, put you mage (he's the one using the wand, right?) in the back, yes, the real back, not in the second row and it should be alright.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Graphics Whoring, circa 2022: -- I have deleted that abomination picture ---
Man, that was awful. I vomit - that looks better.

Nevermind!

Knights of the chalice looks great. It has beautiful graphics and mood.
But I have to change my desktop resolution for 1024x768 and make the game fullscreen for that.
The sprites seem acceptable now.

covr

Prophet
Patron
My body is ready to finally play this, a couple of questions:

-do I need to finish full tutorial module to learn how to play? I've beaten necromancer and his minions but want to see the real game. Is something worth learning after that fight during tutorial?
-mantis unarmed monk - does it make sense? There's 14 STR cap during char creation on such character.
-I've read that there are some NPC's to permanently join your team: is there any rogue or bard? I want to include them both in my party but if possible I would prefer to have them later as NCP's
-any tips on difficulty? I do not like cheating like every feat of attribute point at every level but I've also read here that KOTC2 is much more difficult that first part. I do not fear to reload and I am learning animal. Should I play on normal difficulty with all popamole helpers on (like those extra points or no gold to lvl up)?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
-any tips on difficulty? I do not like cheating like every feat of attribute point at every level but I've also read here that KOTC2 is much more difficult that first part. I do not fear to reload and I am learning animal. Should I play on normal difficulty with all popamole helpers on (like those extra points or no gold to lvl up)?

Up to you, but normal with Pierre's recommended settings is still plenty challenging. Maybe start there and see how you get on in the sewers.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It's a good game, although the early battles seem suspiciously easy. I took an incomplete party, but even so I'm stomping on everyone. I was very glad to recruit 3 new party members though, because I know that Pierre has a black heart and just wants me to lower my guard so he can murder me later. I have done all the quests around the original town prior to facing the orcs/goblins(?).

I'm actually starting to think the tokens look better, although I am still playing with the shit-tier 3d graphics.

EDIT: Also, what sort of sick fuck gives characters starting armour, but the armour has no stats so it's totally useless and you may as well go naked until finding new gear?
Would you want for the characters to start naked? Have you no shame?
Be happy that those armours don't have negative AC. Just to piss off unattentive players.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Another fun thing is the one negative review claiming he had to restart the third tutorial fight 10 times to beat it.
Sure, it's harder than any tutorial adventure ever made but there's a fountain which can resurrect/heal 4 times afterward and soon, a cleric NPC to heal/revive.
The 3rd fight? With golems? I had to restart it too. Not ten times but i believe until i rechecked to the formation screen and rearranged the party. Which probably was the whole point. Other than using wands (lol).
One thing i have to say for Pierre, his tutorial is well done as a tutorial and as a very short "module" at the same time. Someone who finishes it, will have a good grasp of not only interface and options but also some basic tactics. Which means that even someone who only has basic D&D experience can play the game afterwards. And it should filter out mouth breathers. Thumbs up.
It is sad that the presentation and the price tag aren't very inviting to try the game. On the other hand the number of people who would scream: "it's broken, it's too hard, it's not [enter the name of any easier crpg here]" would be too high then.

Mortmal

Arcane
The 3rd fight? With golems? I had to restart it too. Not ten times but i believe until i rechecked to the formation screen and rearranged the party. Which probably was the whole point. Other than using wands (lol).
One thing i have to say for Pierre, his tutorial is well done as a tutorial and as a very short "module" at the same time. Someone who finishes it, will have a good grasp of not only interface and options but also some basic tactics. Which means that even someone who only has basic D&D experience can play the game afterwards. And it should filter out mouth breathers. Thumbs up.
It is sad that the presentation and the price tag aren't very inviting to try the game. On the other hand the number of people who would scream: "it's broken, it's too hard, it's not [enter the name of any easier crpg here]" would be too high then.

It's probably for the best ,the game even tuned down is not for them, nothing will do that. I mean just read steam forums, you will lose all hope in humanity.They arent even able to identify what kind of game it is, some guy is asking question as if its some sort of jrpg rpgmaker stuff.
What pierre needs is to advertise it in the right circles, pen and paper players ,niche forums, old nerds with income.
As for modules dont hope, there wont be anything unless we do it ourselves.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My body is ready to finally play this, a couple of questions:

-do I need to finish full tutorial module to learn how to play? I've beaten necromancer and his minions but want to see the real game. Is something worth learning after that fight during tutorial?

-mantis unarmed monk - does it make sense? There's 14 STR cap during char creation on such character.

-I've read that there are some NPC's to permanently join your team: is there any rogue or bard? I want to include them both in my party but if possible I would prefer to have them later as NCP's

Not if you played KotC 1, or Dungeon Rats, you should be fine alright not hang yourself.

Mantis makes for a real good gladiator, Monks are disappointing, not recommended on a first playthrough.

Nope, not rogues nor bards, only two casters and a mostly useless/too expensive third companion. Wait, there's a fourth, "hidden" one, martial class.
Careful with hybrids on a first playthrough, don't add too many of them 1/2 max in my opinion, bard is really good up until mid-game.

Then give your Bard a reach skewer weapon...

Either turn everything down and prepare to endure like we did or turn at least gold for level up off.
Also reload HP under 25/50% at level up might help.
More feats is fun for less specialized builds, maybe not on first playthrough.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I just realised something. Pierre has non-standard "virtual" dies in his game. Some weapons make 1D13 damage. I'm not really a fan, it is a computer game of curse and you put in can have all the "dices" you want but since 99% of the game stats are taken from p&p D&D it looks kinda silly.
Perhaps that's my autism speaking.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just realised something. Pierre has non-standard "virtual" dies in his game. Some weapons make 1D13 damage. I'm not really a fan, it is a computer game of curse and you put in can have all the "dices" you want but since 99% of the game stats are taken from p&p D&D it looks kinda silly.
Maybe that sword is cursed.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Don't be silly, just enjoy!
1D13 weapon.
Half Giant -> 3D6 base damage
Enlarge -> 4D6 base damage
Enchantment/item to increase it once more -> 6D6 base damage...
Skewer ->3x, 4x or 5x 36 + STR probably multiplied too = 130 to 2XX damage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's not true to D&D, but odd-sided dice exist https://www.mathartfun.com/d357.html

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Good God, what is that voice acting? It's not even bad in a good way, like the thing you can point and laugh at... it's just...
Don't @ me for caring about voice acting in an indie game played by 30 people on the planet, it's just so aggravating I had to point it out.

look at this guy, playing without the boreale voice pak

an unwise decision to be sure!

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You are not the only one.
2d2 damage Daggers and 1d3 Clubs in Might and Magic were hurting my brain for decades. They still do.

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one negative review on Steam says this bit I can't argue with.

TLDR: It's a "fail to rng, reload the game" simulator, catering to fairly niche group of D&D "git gud" masochists.

Should be in the "features" list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom