Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingsvein - new tactical RPG from Rad Codex set in subterranean world

Machocruz

Arcane
Horizon's Gate lost me by the time I was ready to go back and beat those ships from the beginning. Main story more integrated in the open world voyaging would have been better for me. It was a great concept, but Kingsvein seems to play to what RC does the best. Interested to see some final opinions on here.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks for giving it a shot guys!

It's so good! Horizon's Gate became a bit of a spam fest later on (deploy everyone in a cross-formation, ward+guard+growth+rally/shanty, and go to town). Here you get lots of synergies between skills and must make meaningful decisions at every combat turn, like immobilizing an enemy to launch a delayed attack or predicting/funneling enemy movement to set counters. Hazard zones are especially important, do you electrify blood pools? Do you convert them into MP? Thanks, Jinn and CryptRat for showcasing Rad Codex's games. This here's a gem (pun intended).
Thanks! I went out of the way to make sure the easy cross-formation was not an option.
Awesome, congrats on the release!

How much of the content is procedurally generated? Out of the three previous Rad Codex games I liked Voidspire Tactics the most mainly because of the hand-crafted content (or so it seemed), so I'm hoping this one follows the same approach.
Thanks! None of it is procgen. The repeatable battle zones have some very minor randomized alterations each time you visit, but that hardly counts.
Really enjoying the return to the Voidspire style exploration and overall tighter design, but I do wonder why you decided to do away with initiative based turns, Eldiran? Seems like a step backwards to me. Pretty much my only complaint so far, besides not being able to zoom out the camera a little bit (playing with 1920x1080 resolution).
I wanted to try something different. I already knew I was going to make delayed abilities always go after the enemy, and with that changed, initiative based turns didn't really contribute to any interesting decision making, so it was an easy choice to remove it. In general I tried to remove complexity so that I could reintroduce it in the form of more hazards and pushing.
Do you get more money if I buy off your Itch.io site?

Also, if no one else has taken you up on your offer to do a review... I will?
Technically yes but feeding the Steam algorithm is equally helpful.

Sure, DM me.
Yep, I keep retreading ground, kind of searching for the next logical place to go, and find a new secret or some new place to explore in nearly every pass.

Right now, I feel like I've fought every battle I could and got as far into the mines as I was able to. The only battle I have left is the fight in front of the Silver Prince's tower, and it seems like I'm not strong enough to get through that one yet (I've tried it 4 times and even dropped the difficulty on my last attempt). Any tips on where I should go next would be welcome. Maybe I missed a path in the mines? Or maybe even finding something like a pickaxe or hammer to bust through a wall here or there? Still on the quest "Find and Kill 4 Wisps".
There's more in the mines for you - those pushable Clump puzzles are solvable. You can also find lots of areas to the west if you manage to open the western gate.

Jinn

Arcane
those pushable Clump puzzles are solvable
Yeah, I got through a lot of them, but seem to be hung up on the section close to the big pit in the south-eastern part of the map. Might just be missing something obvious.

You can also find lots of areas to the west if you manage to open the western gate.
And yeah, can't figure out how to get that gate opened. Tried a couple of things - like trying to manipulate the switch through the window from afar - but haven't been about to get it open. I'll keep trying.

The only reason I'm asking really is because I want to keep playing, but am feeling a bit stuck at the moment.

Modron

Arcane
Yo, Modron. Where'd you find that hammer you're using to bust down walls with?
Where you think you'd find such a thing:
in the mines to the east.
Wait, there's a world map??
Head south out of the starting area to get to the map, also:
in the fort to the northwest in the starting area you can recruit a character who will settle in your watchtower and give you quick access to the map from right next to your campfire.

Modron

Arcane
Also Eldiran would it be possible to make the F1-5 keys go to specific characters? As it is now they just go to whoever is in that slot currently and given the slots rotate everytime you select a different character I really only use f2 to cycle through until I get the character I want.

Oh and let me put an augment in the megasledge please, it's always in the offhand of my dragoon in place of a skill effected weapon just because there are lots of things to smash.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Yeah, I got through a lot of them, but seem to be hung up on the section close to the big pit in the south-eastern part of the map. Might just be missing something obvious.
Yeah it's basically the culmination of all the clumps in the south-eastern bit.

Just in case you didn't notice some of the clumps have a connection/plate/electrode/whatever that when met by another clump's connection causes them both to I'll say disintegrate on the spot. But otherwise you just have to start at one end then circle around from a different connecting passage to solve some clumps.

Jinn

Arcane
Just in case you didn't notice some of the clumps have a connection/plate/electrode/whatever that when met by another clump's connection causes them both to I'll say disintegrate on the spot. But otherwise you just have to start at one end then circle around from a different connecting passage to solve some clumps.
I did indeed notice those nodes, and have been able to connect a few of them so far. I've looped around a couple times, but I'm almost afraid I moved a clump into a space I wasn't supposed to and have soft-locked myself in this space. I'm sure Eldiran did plenty of testing here to make sure this wasn't possible, but I just can for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to get around a certain clump without breaking down a wall or something. I'll post a picture below just in case.

Modron

Arcane
I'll post a picture below just in case.
Yeah you might have pushed that one a bit too far one push down and you could have walked around it. You will probably have to come back later with ashen's thunderbolt ability to bounce it back up (or there are two meleeish classes with leap attacks that might be able to make it across the gap there) but the easiest way is the gatekeeper which has that teleport ability like other rad codex's games albeit a bit more constrained but still handy for getting around. You haven't borked your progress just slowed it down a little.

Modron

Arcane
Is there any harm in murdering all the hostiles in the town or am I supposed to be trying to be nice to these people?
So far I've only had one fight I could talk my way out of with a group who weren't the prince's men so no probably not. Edit: I suppose I could have avoided a fight with some guards in the north if I let them continue oppressing a mother and her baby.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanted to try something different. I already knew I was going to make delayed abilities always go after the enemy, and with that changed, initiative based turns didn't really contribute to any interesting decision making, so it was an easy choice to remove it. In general I tried to remove complexity so that I could reintroduce it in the form of more hazards and pushing.
it was a bit weird early but after few hours i really prefer this style of turn. easier to use party synergy and it does complement with more area hazards and environment interaction.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Also Eldiran would it be possible to make the F1-5 keys go to specific characters? As it is now they just go to whoever is in that slot currently and given the slots rotate everytime you select a different character I really only use f2 to cycle through until I get the character I want.

Oh and let me put an augment in the megasledge please, it's always in the offhand of my dragoon in place of a skill effected weapon just because there are lots of things to smash.
Good point, I'll ponder it.
I did indeed notice those nodes, and have been able to connect a few of them so far. I've looped around a couple times, but I'm almost afraid I moved a clump into a space I wasn't supposed to and have soft-locked myself in this space. I'm sure Eldiran did plenty of testing here to make sure this wasn't possible, but I just can for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to get around a certain clump without breaking down a wall or something. I'll post a picture below just in case.

Woops, does indeed look like you got yourself stuck for now. I'll add an extra piece of rubble so others can't make the same mistake.

There are ways to progress without getting the hammer because
one of the classes has an ability that can do the same thing.
and the hammer itself is technically optional.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This seems like more like Voidspire Tactics then their other games and I'll probably grab it tomorrow to play it this weekend.
But, by the gods man, why is everything so, pink and purple...?

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright, dipped my toes in the waters tonight just for half an hour.

Flawless ultrawide support, completely rebindable keys, able to bind multiple keys to a single function...

If one-man developers can do it, why can't triple A studios? It's fucking embarrassing.

Anyway the game seems really cool so far, going to restart on Titan difficulty with the 'take a bit longer' AI setting.

Yosharian

Arcane
My old senile ass is finding the controls a bit confusing. How is mounting supposed to work, exactly? And why does character selection rotate around the party when I press the button to select specific characters?

Yosharian

Arcane
Also: must resist urge to watch YT video explaining how to get better at the game... Want to play this one completely blind

Pocgels

Scholar
My old senile ass is finding the controls a bit confusing. How is mounting supposed to work, exactly? And why does character selection rotate around the party when I press the button to select specific characters?
Mounting in the overworld you put the steed as your lead character (Easiest way is to click on his picture in the bottom-left)
In combat, you use the steed's mount ability on an ally next to you. You have to buy it for 500xp.

Character select rotating is a known design oversight. It was less of an issue when your party wasn't a bunch of rock-men.

Good luck playing, don't forget to abuse the fact that your whole group acts at the same time or you'll get whipped

Kaivokz

Arcane
In combat, you use the steed's mount ability on an ally next to you. You have to buy it for 500xp.
A character adjacent to the wyvern can also mount it. I think it takes the full move action so you need to be directly adjacent, but I haven’t tested that much (i.e. if someone with high movement can mount from further away).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom