Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kings and Castles crappy E3 trailer explained

Ryuken

Liturgist
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

<p>Remember that wonky E3 trailer for medieval fantasy RTS <strong>Kings and Castles</strong> (KaC) <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45335">earlier this week</a>? Turns out that pretty much everything in that movie was "placeholder" stuff, according to Gas Powered Games guru Chris Taylor in his <a href="http://gaspowered.com/kingsandcastles/video-blog-19/" title="Grumpy voice Chris adressing some trailer concerns">latest video blog</a> on the KaC website. Not exactly a big shock when you know that the game has only been <strong>in production for four months and a half</strong>. Any art, animation and voice overs you see and hear are likely going to be revamped.</p><p>Also of note in the video is the fact that GPG uses blondes for the motion capturing of giant War Boars and that the castles don't look like a single massive building anymore. They have walls, gates and exterior buildings as well now.</p><p>Still, why release footage of a game in such an unfinished state? GPG's community manager Servo answers that question in <a href="http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46668&p=812477#p812477" title="Why show anything this soon, really?">a thorough post</a> on the GPGnet forums. In short: <strong>without a publisher they can use all the publicity they can get.</strong> </p><blockquote><p>In the absence of a paranoid publisher, we have been freely discussing and displaying everything about the early development of KnC via the Vblogs. If you have been watching them, you hopefully realize that pre-alpha games are ugly, broken, and rely heavily on the vision of a driving force who can see and speak beyond the facade.

Not providing gameplay for Chris to discuss future visions with publishers and distributors behind closed doors at E3 would be counterproductive. Assuming that these visions can be arranged in a distributable trailer, not showing them to a wider public to increase awareness of KnC would be a wasted opportunity in the absence of paid advertising.

The main message of this Trailer is not intended to be "Hey look at our pre-alpha textures", it is "Hey look, GPG is making a Fantasy RTS", for a much wider audience than is represented in these forums.

The only benefit that we as developers commonly see from E3 Trailers is a hint of clarvoyance on what the game can become when the bugs are cleared away. If that gives your monitor cancer, then you are simply ignoring that it can be used as a crystal ball as well as a window to a rosy-colored past. I would encourage you to remember your thoughts today when you compare and contrast this trailer with the trailer, demo, or beta that will take its place at E3 2011.

As an aside, if you are also following the Vblog, not portraying the "E3 Hustle/Hassle" would be a gross misrepresentation of a significant factor in electronic game development in general, and would fly against our KnC Glasnost.</p></blockquote><p>Seems like there is no way back for Gas Powered Games as they sold their most successful franchises, Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander, to Square-Enix. When reading some of <a href="http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46578" title="Apparently CT does answer quite a lot of mails.">Taylor's e-mail answers to fans</a> some other tidbits get out as well: there could be four resources in the game, a mix of SupCom 1 and SupCom 2 economy systems could be used and the <a href="http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46459" title="I guess SupCom 2 on Xbox360 didn't do that well...">console versions for KaC aren't a given anymore</a>. You probably do need a crazy publisher for a console RTS now. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://forums.gaspowered.com/">GPGnet Forums</a></p>

Jason

chasing a bee
Ryuken is a much better newsposter than I am (when he gets around to it) so it's always good to see him post. You assholes should be grateful.

BvG

Novice
Ok, so someone with two logins thinks that Ryuken is not Jason. Besides the double posting, why does that make him an asshole?

On second thought, the person with the two logins should have maybe specified why he thinks that there's several peoples behind tacticular cancer news posts. I'd also be interested why having several posters is a concern for him, as to me that's just how news sites work (if there'd be a single person, it'd be a blog).

Oh wait, now I get it. The double poster is feeling underrepresented, because there is not one person with a double login making news for TC. So with this rather misunderstood call for help, he want's his specific minority to be represented better on his most favourite site for any news he'd ever want.

Norfleet

The crappiness of the trailer has me convinced it was actually a real trailer. Other trailers always look so blatantly fake. Of course, that makes this game no less vaporware.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Why would you use a shitty trailer to show a bunch of crappy stuff? Why not just hold off until you've got something decent to show?

That said, I thought the trailer looked pretty cool. Also I'm intrigued by the blonde at the end...

Ryuken

Liturgist
In the full E3 trailer there was a dragon near the end yeah, and in the last video blog that blonde, she used to be red-haired in the previous video blogs while giving explosive high-fives and coming near Chris Taylor's nuts. Not making this up.

As for posting, it's been more than half a year since I last posted something here idd, apologies and all that, had some RL twisting changes and a lack of motivation since there has been some kind of dead zone for RTSs recently, not even SupCom 2 and Chaos Rising tick all the right boxes for me. Back now though.

As for KaC, still not that sure if it's ever going to be released idd. It's GPG's only project now and they got nothing to fall back on if things go wrong. My guess is they either have to get lucky with a PC publisher or they will go and self-publish on Steam but with less features.

I think the best things about the game right now are this castle shot and this art pic. AoE II with massive armies and some fantasy, now if only they don't forget the huge maps...

GarfunkeL said:
I hate video blogs. Fucking vlogs. What's wrong with plain old text, huh?

BvG, awesome psychoanalysis. Please, analyze more!

I agree. If their comments are going to be put in a way that makes for a reasonable spoken word length, then it's going to be simplistic and boring. If they've actually got a good argument, then it's going to be tedious listening to it in video form. Not to mention less functional. You can't go back and forth between paragraphs easily in a vlog, and so you can't quickly reference an earlier paragraph in order to check the implications of a later part of the argument against it.

One awesome thing about the internet has been the return to the written (ok, typed) word and written arguments (ok, so the decline of 'tldr' and of semi-literrate stops it from reaching the heights of the great written word eras pre-TV, but it's still a step up from the TV+telephone era that preceeded it). I can't help but feel the use of pre-recorded video to communicate is a step backwards from that.

Fortunately, I can't really see it taking off bigtime. You can't engage in discussion with video posts in the same way that you can with forums and blog comments.

Ryuken

Liturgist
It's hard to get facts out of those video blogs idd, especially if you have someone like Taylor on the front of it (it wouldn't be the first time he had to swallow promises back in).

That being said, those blogs are being discussed a lot on the GPGnet boards and as that last video blog proved, the developers do seem to read the comments if it's about some concerns people have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom