Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Interview @ The Codex

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Twinkle said:
Pathetic. It seems like the amount of pre-orders of their primitive, generic, derivative slashfest is so low that they are desperate enough to pander to marginal internet shitholes like RPGaydex hoping generate some positive hype from pseudo-hardcore elitists (and they are already successful as sheeple are flocking to this thread).

KingdomsOfAmalur_PreOrderBonusImage.jpg

:smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, I think it is certainly possible that this game could be about as good as Two Worlds. And I found some decent enjoyment in that game. Not like there are many good open world action RPGs to compare to, anyway (what is good besides Div2 and Gothics?).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Nice loaded questions.

3. Talking about why you'd want people to buy your game you listed "our combat, our colorful art style—just the sheer size of the world." Is there anything for people who like RPGs?
:lol:

5. How does one compete with the likes of Morrowind, Oblivion, and upcoming and highly anticipated Skyrim? What's your edge?

I can think of a several ways that we stand out from our competitors, in particular with the size of the world, which is very large and rich with stuff to do,...
Is he saying the world is bigger than an ES game?

waywardOne

Arcane
JasonNH said:
I've been following this one with interest, but if I have to install EA Origin on my computer to install it, it's a no-go.

Same.

Stinger

Arcane
Oh shit Origin's in this? Blegh, I'd almost gotten cautiously optimistic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mandatory Steam, Origin or other DRM-shit are instant no-buys for many people. Devs and publishers should be aware of that by now. No need to bitch about/mention it in every thread about a new game before it's "protection" is even anounced*...

*Assuming KoA's isn't announced yet. I might have missed it.

EDIT:
Oh shit Origin's in this? Blegh, I'd almost gotten cautiously optimistic.
See what you did there, fucktards?

Eh, sounds okay. Though I doubt the action will really deliver along the lines of a proper action game, it could be worth a spot in the Gamefly queue, if I'm not burnt out on action RPGs that is. Almost every game I've gotten from there in the last few months has been one; Way of the Samurai 3, New Vegas, Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzonoha vs the Soulless Army, Raidou vs King Abbadon....and Desu Ex: Piss Filter as well as Dark Souls are up next. So, uh, what happened to non-action RPGs?

Xi

Arcane
I just don't give a fuck about solid, old-school cRPGs anymore! They just aren't being made. Maybe im just jaded, but this seems like a rather interesting aRPG. I'm just learning to accept the action side of the combat paradigm. So long as the character development has depth, there's interesting quests/story, and the item system has variety and strategy, I think I'll probably pick this one up.

After Dark Souls and Skyrim, another arpg won't hurt anything. This era of role play gaming is simply going to be defined by action games. Might as well embrace it now and hope the next era returns to the roots of the genre.

:thumbsup:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Regdar said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhzDkaKi1w

Erm... yeah.

Why are we excited again?

also, never forget

hammerfall.jpg

Srsly bros, I expected better from you. Just look for some gameplay vids and realise that this looks like Arcania.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Origin, no problem. I was skeptical about that service at first, but after using it for BF3 it seems pretty much the same as steam, except that downloads are 5x as fast.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Regdar said:

Erm... yeah.

Codex is like an ugly woman. Once you say something she wants to hear, her money (loot for retards) is for the taking...

MCA
Combat looks incredibly juvenile, with retardedly melodramatic jumps, roars and pause-in-mid-air-to-blow-epic-moves which hilariously fail to have any ultimate effect because it only lowers target's HP etc. No, nothing could make me buy this retarded piece of shit.

Not even Yulya Timoshenko.

KmNgT.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
Regdar said:

Erm... yeah.

I was bored so I watched a preview for the game, and the "awesome" action combat consisted of qte finishers. As did stealthing.

Yeah...I'll wait till Divinity 3 or something for good action rpg combat instead.

Yeah, sounds good..on paper.
Until you watch the videos and screens, and realise it's just another Fable -_-

DraQ

Arcane
Based on that gameplay vid I've seen earlier I can't say I'm terribly interested, even though the interview was surprisingly decent.
Also, while the interview contained nothing rage worthy, it was still too nebulous to seriously incite anything above mild hopefullness.
Salvatore doesn't sound terribly promising, 500, 10000 or 100000000yrs of history can be equally shit if done without much skill, and there was nothing explaining *WHY* we should consider the world interesting.

Similarly, while I could conceive of actiony combat blending the best (and most crucial) features of RPG, with fluidity and WYSIWYG, I have seen way too many examples of shit aRPG combat, including Ama-lulz gameplay vid.

A developer may talk the right things, but when you see his game is anything but the right things, you tend to take it with a grain of salt.

Stinger

Arcane
The premise for the story (waking up in a vault/well of souls having your fate tied to others, being called the Fateless One) has a kind of Torment vibe but that's about the only good thing I can see in the 2 preview vids I saw.

Also, for all the devs claims about how the silent protagonist allows for more dialogue options, said dialogue is in that Oblivion style of just saying "Rumours" and other summarised crap like that. It's basically just the dialogue wheel with all the paraphrasing that entails but without the protagonist then speaking and saying something completely different. It also has around the same number of dialogue options as DA2/ME2 so...really it's just a load of crap.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Fuck this, too chimeric. Anything with a title like (generic word) OF (generic word) COLON (redundant, pretentious ass subtitle) sucks! No vision, no original concept, just a blender version of past suckage engineered by an OMG-superteam, much like rock bands engineered on the concept of nostalgia with known players. Rehash!

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
He may have spruced up Ultima V, but from the few videos i've seen with Ian Frazier talking, he seems like a PR douche/grub.

For some reason i'm still cautiously optimistic for this, but I have that feeling I get when a new Fable is announced.. feels like you've eaten too many Big Macs and a massive shits on the way.

mondblut

Arcane
The Bethesda and Witcher 2 interviews was much better.

Excidium said:
an ARPG here and there doesn't kill anyone.

Yes it does. Every ARPG in production means an RPG not in production. Particularly when we have exactly zero of the later being produced.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mondblut said:
Yes it does. Every ARPG in production means an RPG not in production. Particularly when we have exactly zero of the later being produced.

Yes, and every game pirated is a game not purchased. :retarded:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Infinitron said:
mondblut said:

There is only so much financing going on.
If you want to keep your analogy it'd be:
Every game purchased reduces the chances of another game being purchased in a specific period of time thus increasing the piracy of games that don't make the cut..

But what I think is worse, is the marketing of aRPGs. They stil go with nonsense like technology having "finally" reached a level where it doesn't require TB anymore. Lots of marketing is turned towards making non-aRPGs look unappealing instead of making aRPGs look appealing.
And since sheeple gonna gobble corporate cock...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Infinitron said:
mondblut said:

Jeez, it's full of dumbfucks here lately.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
mondblut said:
Excidium said:
an ARPG here and there doesn't kill anyone.

Hey, I'm all for the hate but how the fuck does this make sense? Publishers don't DO RPGs anymore. Theres no way that we suddenly would get Turn-Based Hardcore RPGs if said ARPGs wouldn't be produced.

Its much more probable we would get Random Shooter #4338231 instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom