Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am i the only one who thinks first person is the wrong choice for a fencing game? Melee combat is all about anticipation of movement, distance to the enemy, reach of your weapon. That all is much harder to see as player if youre stuck in first person. Will there also be a third person option?
Well, human beings do well in first person, so maybe we can manage it. :P

DeepOcean

Arcane
Am i the only one who thinks first person is the wrong choice for a fencing game? Melee combat is all about anticipation of movement, distance to the enemy, reach of your weapon. That all is much harder to see as player if youre stuck in first person. Will there also be a third person option?
Human beings are more than floating heads and feel there is shit behind them before getting stuck in it. I predict "Fuck! Got stuck on tree! ohh My God! My guts are all over the ground!" and "How far this guy is? Ohhh my God, why the world is spinning and the ground is so close? My head?! I guess I misjudged a little how close he was.":M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Human beings are more than floating heads and feel there is shit behind them before getting stuck in it. I predict "Fuck! Got stuck on tree! ohh My God! My guts are all over the ground!" and "How far this guy is? Ohhh my God, why the world is spinning and the ground is so close? My head?! I guess I misjudged a little how close he was.":M
Yeah, to be honest I myself always switched to 3rd person in Jedy Knight, 1st person was used only for guns. :) But I'm curious how will 1st person feel in this game. Might be OK.

People usually overstate the importance of perspective in melee combat. I've played both first person and third person games with melee combat, and never had any problems with either, as long as it was done well. In fact, being in first person lets you see what the enemy is doing better, as your body is not blocking your view, and you are closer to the enemy, so small details are more visible. Being able to tell the distance is the only potential issue, but after a while you get used to the scale and graphics, and should be able to do it.

On the other hand, being in first person perspective during a massive battle or exploring a behemoth castle really is wonderfully immersive, despite all the edgy IMMERSHUN jokes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
An E3 trailer. Not bad but it's clear this game's not about VISCERAL AKSHUN AWESOME. Their previous trailer with the praying girl was great precisely because it focused on the game's strengths.

Anyway, can't wait for the new alpha, finally with combat and RPG mechanics.

Athos

Arcane
CHvUJmfUMAAWH0u.jpg

From the E3 demo. Best edge of the map ever. :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
An E3 trailer. Not bad but it's clear this game's not about VISCERAL AKSHUN AWESOME. Their previous trailer with the praying girl was great precisely because it focused on the game's strengths.

Anyway, can't wait for the new alpha, finally with combat and RPG mechanics.

Wow, this is true :incline:

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Oh I see.

Deepest lore - it is not 15th century Europe, it's actually bunch of larping faggots during historical reconstruction event.

Darkzone

Arcane
While the western developers are raising their skirt to expose their ass and are bowing down to SJW, so that they can fuck them. The slavic developers embraces fun, jokes and the gamer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Aight, first look at the new alpha gameplay. Quality not great but it's something. Animations and voiceovers still placeholder, everything else seems to be more or less final.

Still can't decide if the combat is gonna be great or catastrophic. :D Right now it seems one fight takes like half an hour.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm currently reading Ivanhoe so these new videos of Kingdom Come are really hyping me up. As for the combat, I'm sure it'll be far, far more fast than what it shown. They are probably deliberately making it look slower than what it is just to show it off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A forest that actually looks like a forest. Huh.

Problem is in Middle Ages there actually weren't that many forests, just freely standing in the freeware countryside. The richest lords had some, as their private hunting grounds, but other than that everything was cut down for firewood or timber.

I guess they decided to pass on that particular historical detail so we won't be running around the virtual equivalent of Ukraine - fields, fields and more fields.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Gameplay recorded on PC with kb+m setup.
Anti-gamepad archery.
Combat that doesn't seem to suck, I actually like the way it looks like.
Armour layers.

I thought it was going to be full-blown popamole but unlike certain title it seems to really be PC-first console-second game with something interesting to show.

I'll call it now - it's The popamole RPG of 2016 :rpgcodex:.

Beowulf

Arcane

Problem is in Middle Ages there actually weren't that many forests, just freely standing in the freeware countryside. The richest lords had some, as their private hunting grounds, but other than that everything was cut down for firewood or timber.

I guess they decided to pass on that particular historical detail so we won't be running around the virtual equivalent of Ukraine - fields, fields and more fields.

Pics or it didn't happen. Focusing too much on England perhaps? Sure, there were forest cut everywhere on flatlands to make room for agricultural endeavours, and burned down in the mountains to make room for commander shephards with their sheeps, and like you said - for timber, since for some time it was the main building material; but there were still many vast forest in Europe at the time of the events of the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Pics or it didn't happen. Focusing too much on England perhaps? Sure, there were forest cut everywhere on flatlands to make room for agricultural endeavours, and burned down in the mountains to make room for commander shephards with their sheeps, and like you said - for timber, since for some time it was the main building material; but there were still many vast forest in Europe at the time of the events of the game.

Sadly, can't post pics. But I do remember reading it somewhere long time ago plus Vavra himself mentioned that in an interview. Plus it makes sense. Forest is a resource and I can't imagine a forest not owned by anyone surviving for long.

Beowulf

Arcane
Depends on the country, a lot of the forests belonged to the king/ royal family, the rest mostly to local feudal lords (as the rest of the land - there is no no-mans land free to taking), some where owned by village communes - those were exploited more. And the deforestation progressed through the middle ages, as the population grew. I'm not going to crush copies on this subject, but if you have some good sources I would gladly take a look at them, as it's the subject I would like to know more about.

Just a quick example - forests in "middle" Middle Ages in germany: http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab309/KDHertell/Forrests002.jpg~original

Anyway - it's their vision, and they seem to be very good at what the are doing, so I don't doubt that the game will feature the terrain that bests suits the story and can satisfy some history nitpicking fag, as you can fit and justify almost everything if you are not going for a precise location, but "just" doing a take on general feel of high/late MA Europe.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
The codex favourite designer to talk about likes it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom