Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JRIz

Augur
There no point waiting for next generation processors or graphic cards I don't see them becoming any more advance now.
So you think technology has reached its peak and the same mid-range graphics cards will always cost 500 Euros from now on? Minimum, because of inflation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still think that if you are on an SSD, your bottleneck won't be the RAM but the GPU. Even that's easliy configurable by reducing draw distance. Trust me, you won't notice it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you have to change only the ram you are not as bad off as me. I gotta buy a whole new graphic card, and with current prices that's impossible, which means i probably won't be playing this game at all.

Are you a backer? Do you have access to the beta?

Back in the day I played the beta on my trusty i5, Radeon HD 4870 rig on High and it was eminently playable. And that was the photorealistic beta, before all the optimization and downgrade.

Seriously people, stop freaking out. Everyone not running some ancient Pentium should be able to play the game on at least Medium, maybe High if they sacrifice some homosexual post-processing retardery.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
A game from eastern country ? You used to put those underpaid starving guys in a hangar without heat , a few old pc running on fueled generator and they were pulling out some of the best fps rivaling the best AAA with much lower specs. Time changed and not for the best.
On the contrary, ambitious games from Central or Eastern Europe can be some of the worst resource hogs out there. The OFP/Arma series alone has brought several of my computers to their knees, forcing me to go through an upgrade. The games tend to be a bit rough around the edges, and optimization is often among the casualties.

KCD is a multiplatform game, though, so there's a chance it won't completely murder your computer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
the solution is simple, throw your computer in the trash and get a console

:troll:

Yeah, get a console, where you'd be locked at medium forever. That's how it was with Doom 4. The game was just set at medium in both the PS4 and Xbox version. Console optimization my ass.

Yeah, get a console, where you'd be locked at medium forever. That's how it was with Doom 4. The game was just set at medium in both the PS4 and Xbox version. Console optimization my ass.

It also had that "dynamic resolution" shit, meaning it mostly ran at rendering resolution below 1080p. In PC version you could adjust it manually and setting it even at 95 percent made it look like crap.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do you have access to the beta?

I do. The game goes between 15 fps and 25 fps on medium. At very high it goes between 7 and 15 fps before giving me an allocation memory error after which it crashes my whole PC.

Very high was borked in the beta, nobody could play it.

You absolutely should be able to play the final version on Medium.

Nah, i'll wait to snatch one of the 2000 nvidia cards on a preorder, before the price goes nuts. It's gonna be at max settings or nothing.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Nah, i'll wait to snatch one of the 2000 nvidia cards on a preorder, before the price goes nuts. It's gonna be at max settings or nothing.

Good choice. I expect such a card will keep you close to the top of the pyramid for at least 5 years, possibly more.

No matter what you do don't listen to the poorfags who tell you to buy their crap, they constantly whine that their system is shit and then upgrade it with something that will be obsolete shit in 1.5 years. It's as if they like to be on the floor.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There no point waiting for next generation processors or graphic cards I don't see them becoming any more advance now.
So you think technology has reached its peak and the same mid-range graphics cards will always cost 500 Euros from now on? Minimum, because of inflation.
Actually, when you look at price point of NVidia 560, 760, 960, you can see prices of Mid range graphic card stayed about the same in fy2000 money.
As for technology improvement. Free performance improvement because of decrease in nm between generation will not exist. And lower nm now means more expensive wafer. (Which means manufacturer pays more for making one working chip.)

Thus price/performance would at best be constant, at worst it would go up.

On the contrary, ambitious games from Central or Eastern Europe can be some of the worst resource hogs out there. The OFP/Arma series alone has brought several of my computers to their knees, forcing me to go through an upgrade. The games tend to be a bit rough around the edges, and optimization is often among the casualties.
Yup, when I talked 14 years ago with czechs about game development, they talked only about how graphic sells, and didn't wanted to hear about other aspects of game development. It didn't bring them money thus why bother.

Arma is biggest culprit, but most of other czech developers are typically not without guilt. (But at least BI is sane enough to do military simulations and have different source of money when players would be fed by more of the same and say: graphic, they can put it into theirs butts.)

Do you have access to the beta?

I do. The game goes between 15 fps and 25 fps on medium. At very high it goes between 7 and 15 fps before giving me an allocation memory error after which it crashes my whole PC.
That's quite bad programming, it should swap heavily and force you to hit ALT+F4 repeatedly to terminate that resource hog. (in worst case through task manager) Games shouldn't affect stability of OS, at all.

I was checking at the budget difference between this and other mainstream AAA titles, and holy shit:
Makes me wonder what Warhorse could have done with 81 millions instead of 5 millions.
Nothing. They would need me to handle things efficiently (And I should be living over 12 years on disability rent writing free books and teach if not bureaucratic error, these required over 20 hours a week would kill me), and even then they'd need to be at least 15 years in the industry to not throw these money through window, and be able to do development cheaply and efficiently. 81 million for guaranteed salary for 10 years game and 3 expansions? Yup that's doable. 81 million for one game? For CD project it was last game in the series, and previous games earned them money and defined company. Thus they decided to spend part of these money to make decent title. Nice voice acting, and other stuff. But Witcher 3 is nice example that proper writing and design is more important than money, otherwise Witcher 1 wouldn't be able to compete so heavily. Still Witcher 3 is better than Dragon Age:I.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Good choice. I expect such a card will keep you close to the top of the pyramid for at least 5 years, possibly more.

No matter what you do don't listen to the poorfags who tell you to buy their crap, they constantly whine that their system is shit and then upgrade it with something that will be obsolete shit in 1.5 years. It's as if they like to be on the floor.

Heh, you make it sound like there's a choice. Preordering one of those cards may be the only way to get one at a normal price. I'd buy a 1000 series card right now if they didn't go for three times the normal price.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's quite bad programming, it should swap heavily and force you to hit ALT+F4 repeatedly to terminate that resource hog. (in worst case through task manager) Games shouldn't affect stability of OS, at all.

Well, it's a beta. Plus, what it does is put my system on lock down. It's possible that it would recover but i never tried waiting long enough to see it happen. I just said fuck it and manually reset it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Heh, you make it sound like there's a choice. Preordering one of those cards may be the only way to get one at a normal price. I'd buy a 1000 series card right now if they didn't go for three times the normal price.
Theirs prices might be painful, but I can have GTX 1060 6G for 488$ VAT included. And GTX 1050 TI for 252$. The trouble is manufacturers are expecting new NVidia cards to appear within three months thus they are reducing stocks to prevent situation when they would be left with unsold cards they would have to sell at half prices...

Also NVidia fucked when they released 1060 6G for nearly 2x of price of 3G. It was basically either you get 3G, or perhaps you wanna think about delaying paying rent for one month and get 1070. (Add to that coil problems with high end cards and you can see current disaster that's called graphic card market. Yes and there is GDDR cartel which keeps graphic card RAM prices kinda high.)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Theirs prices might be painful, but I can have GTX 1060 6G for 488$ VAT included.

I almost got one for 250 euros before this mining shit took off. 500 is the price of an high end card, not a mid range one.

And the 1050 ti is total garbage. Barely better than what i got right now.

Dexter

Arcane
How are people are still running 8GB? I had problems with basic stuff like browsing the Internet at some point with that amount using Win7, let alone gaming: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-gtx-1080-thread.108060/page-13#post-4540737

I upgraded to 16GB just for that and got 32GB after for my new system.

What is this supposed to be from? The game on PC doesn't come out till Tuesday.

You need to Pre-Order em right when they become available on shops, I waited for mine (1080) till Streetdate and reviews were out and had to wait like 5-6 months for delivery.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, i'm planning of watching the release like a hawk and preorder one the instant they become available.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also NVidia fucked when they released 1060 6G for nearly 2x of price of 3G.

It was pretty much a scam. 4G would have been perfect for a mid range card. 3G is too low and 6G is too high, but you gotta go with the latter or risk having problems, even at 1080p.

JRIz

Augur
Actually, when you look at price point of NVidia 560, 760, 960, you can see prices of Mid range graphic card stayed about the same in fy2000 money.
As for technology improvement. Free performance improvement because of decrease in nm between generation will not exist. And lower nm now means more expensive wafer. (Which means manufacturer pays more for making one working chip.)

Thus price/performance would at best be constant, at worst it would go up.
True, it will take much longer until transistors can shrink again and that was the major driver of performance up until now. On the other hand, architecture improvements should not be underestimated either. That's the basis on which the RISC-V people operate: Develop a better chip for a larger process because it will not become obsolete so fast anymore. Maybe we have chances of getting some competition in the graphics card market, too?

What I think about the mining explanation: First, bitcoins are not mined with graphics cards. That might be nothing new for anyone here but really, this is always the choice of words of those perpetuating this reasoning: Bitcoin miners did it. I am not sure about the total volume of altcoins. But unless fabs are now so overstressed or resources have to be mined with reduced efficiency to meet demand that production costs rise by 100%, I know for sure those prices are bullshit. All that Nvidia and AMD did is raise their profits by a shitload (since costs remained the same) and told people about 'supply and demand' even though they probably could have adapted their production within at least half a year.

All I know for sure is this: I bought a Radeon HD 7870 in 2012 for 220 Euros or something and I could play about everything I wanted up until a short time ago. Now, in the current market, there simply is no replacement for this card. You can't tell me there haven't been enough technological improvements so they could build a, say, 1.5 times as good card for the same money now. I don't believe that miners alone can absorb a major portion of the world's foundry capacity.

Yeah, that's just what comes to my mind; I haven't read a lot about this topic. Should probably post in the corresponding SCIENCE thread...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also NVidia fucked when they released 1060 6G for nearly 2x of price of 3G.

It was pretty much a scam. 4G would have been perfect for a mid range card. 3G is too low and 6G is too high, but you gotta go with the latter or risk having problems, even at 1080p.
They MUST have 3G or 6G because they used 192-bit interface. 3G was fine for playing, but for using it more than 4 years 6G was necessary. Of course the problem is 1060 would be underpowered after 4-5 years. Doubling the price? They practically killed mid end card market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom