Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
That video is fucking great but why is there gameplay of the protag stabbing another dude in full plate with a dagger from behind, typical modern "stealth" style, instantly killing him? The dagger should have plenty of trouble penetrating that shit.
Probably because it is still a game, not reality simulator, and the buck has to stop somewhere, if we actually ever want to play it.
I don't think that's an excuse to be honest. They could just make stealth playthroughs revolve around exactly that, stealth, not going around doing "lethal takedowns".

Paul_cz

Arcane
That video is fucking great but why is there gameplay of the protag stabbing another dude in full plate with a dagger from behind, typical modern "stealth" style, instantly killing him? The dagger should have plenty of trouble penetrating that shit.
Probably because it is still a game, not reality simulator, and the buck has to stop somewhere, if we actually ever want to play it.
I don't think that's an excuse to be honest. They could just make stealth playthroughs revolve around exactly that, stealth, not going around doing "lethal takedowns".

There needed to be some way to take down enemies from behind stealthily. I would hate if it was not possible. However I wonder if there is some possibility to do it nonlethaly, I hope so.

Xeon

Augur
How do you take down someone none lethally in old times while also being on stealth. The most I can think off is hit someone's head with a blunt object and hope for the best that he survives.

Realistically I mean since that's what the game is going for I think.

jungl

Augur
Everyone in the medieval ages was a weakling as there was no real strength training and steroids. I'm sure the ideal weapon would be a really thick maul on a strong dude like eddie hall who has amazing explosive power and cardio would wreck anyone with one blow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qz6TkDEsBc

In this game there is alchemy so maybe you can make henry make himself some gear to become this superman.

PorkBarrellGuy

Might be explained away by "gaps/weakpoints in armor"? I dunno. Doesn't really look right, no.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do you take down someone none lethally in old times while also being on stealth. The most I can think off is hit someone's head with a blunt object and hope for the best that he survives.

Realistically I mean since that's what the game is going for I think.

If they’re not wearing any rigid neck protection maybe a sleeper hold/blood choke/whatever you call it when you strangle the carotid artery but not the airway. A few seconds and they’ll be unconscious, then you can tie them up and gag them before they wake up. Most people will instinctively try to rip your hands off their neck when they really should just draw a knife and stab you.

Paul_cz

Arcane
DUjvWeTW4AA5Bt7.jpg:large

Hopefully promising framerate.

PorkBarrellGuy

I like the UI design. Map looks great. I really wish there was no compass, though.
Seconding the compass thing, though I wouldn't mind it being an inventory item that had to be pulled out and used instead of a UI element.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Seconding the compass thing, though I wouldn't mind it being an inventory item that had to be pulled out and used instead of a UI element.
If directions are given as written then that would be fucking annoying, I prefer a compass on the HUD.

Xeon

Augur
If they’re not wearing any rigid neck protection maybe a sleeper hold/blood choke/whatever you call it when you strangle the carotid artery but not the airway. A few seconds and they’ll be unconscious, then you can tie them up and gag them before they wake up. Most people will instinctively try to rip your hands off their neck when they really should just draw a knife and stab you.
Would people have known you can knock someone out by a sleeper hold in the old days tho? I barely follow history so I know jack about what was known and wasn't, but I imagine in the 1400 most people were peasants who barely knew anything beside their crafts and how to kill.

---
I kinda like the compass hud, if they give you directions without quest markers and such, its better to know your way without having to go to your inventory every 5min to check your direction. There are mods for Skyrim that toggle on/off the compass, maybe a similar system to that gets added and then you only be able to use the toggle compass hud if you acquire a physical compass maybe.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Would people have known you can knock someone out by a sleeper hold in the old days tho? I barely follow history so I know jack about what was known and wasn't, but I imagine in the 1400 most people were peasants who barely knew anything beside their crafts and how to kill.

Doesn't matter because if you actually knew what you were talking about instead of using 80s action flicks as references, you would know that a choke hold doesn't actually put people to sleep. As soon as blood flow resumes to the brain, which happens just as soon as you release the hold, the person will regain consciousness in a matter of seconds.

Althorion

Learned
Doesn't matter because if you actually knew what you were talking about instead of using 80s action flicks as references, you would know that a choke hold doesn't actually put people to sleep. As soon as blood flow resumes to the brain, which happens just as soon as you release the hold, the person will regain consciousness in a matter of seconds.
That’s easily solvable, just keep choking for a few minutes more.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

I think that, in their search for efficiency, this is how ancient civilizations came about with the 'Neck Slice' technology tree which culminates in 'Guillotine'.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think that, in their search for efficiency, this is how ancient civilizations came about with the 'Neck Slice' technology tree which culminates in 'Guillotine'.

This entire argument is retarded. Criminals don't worry about "non-lethal" take downs when committing crimes. Murder was probably the first option for most thieves back then, just as it is today.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This entire argument is retarded. Criminals don't worry about "non-lethal" take downs when committing crimes. Murder was probably the first option for most thieves back then, just as it is today.
The punishment for murder is more severe than for theft. Most times you will loose a hand for a theft. But yeah,bandits were/are not the romanticised version that we see in most modern literature and games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The punishment for murder is more severe than for theft. Most times you will loose a hand for a theft.
…and then starve, because you won’t be able to keep stealing to sustain yourself.
Not only that,it was a mark of the thief being with only one hand. They could always try to be beggars or road bandits. You can still swing a sword with one arm.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People don't steal to sustain themselves. Crimes is a short cut unscrupulous people take to avoid doing the hard shit most of us have to do to get by.
Crime is a profession mate,not everyone can be a criminal,you need some steal nerves for it. Life is not that simple to say "He is a thief because he is lazy."

Althorion

Learned
People don't steal to sustain themselves. Crimes is a short cut unscrupulous people take to avoid doing the hard shit most of us have to do to get by.
Those are two contradicting statements. People steal, so they won’t have to work to sustain themselves, therefore stealing is their way of sustaining themselves. They are too lazy to do it in an honest way, so they take that shortcut.
They don’t, however, steal just for kicks and a thief without an arm wont just go back to what they were doing besides stealing and live off that—because stealing was their way of life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom