Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

So you're telling me that you can understand this, but Polish, Czech or Serbian is not intelligible for you?

But the Poles and Serbs have their own rich history, these peoples have their own ambitions. The Poles claimed and are claiming dominion over the entire Salvan world, the Serbs are the descendants of the ancient Macedonians and come from the Chatal Huyuk culture, there are very few real Slavs, all the Serbs I saw had olive skin and black hair. They, like the Bulgarians, are descendants of the ancient pre-Aryan population of Europe.
The Serbs even have a different mentality than the Russians. Russians and Slavs are very hot-tempered, Serbs accumulate emotions in themselves, so that they can explode later.
Despite this, I respect the Serbs. I also respect other Anatolian peoples, such as Armenians. Among the Armenians, by the way, as well as among the Serbs, there are very few Aryans, but they are. There are Armenians who are similar to the inhabitants of the Middle East, they are the descendants of the inhabitants of Urartu. Those Armenians who were Aryans and conquered this land, live modestly in Armenia and Turkey, they have blonde hair and blue eyes, they do not look like your Armenians from Glendale, but at the same time, among the "black Armenians" these people are most respected as "real Armenians", just like blond Serbs, are the most honored in "black Serbia".

OK, I see that people having blond hair and blue eyes is for some reason important for you, but I don't quite understand what this has to do with languages being mutually intelligible.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Smejki why did you name Henry "Henry"?

Wouldn't it be better it give him a proper Czech name that would sound pleasant in other languages instead of renaming him from Jindrich to Henry to Heinrich to whatever?
I still can't get over the fact that all characters are named differently depending on a language.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I assume 'universal' names like Robert, Martin or Daniel weren't a thing back then. Everybody was Ondřej, Jindřich or Matěj. Imagine anyone non-Czech trying to deal with that during their 60+ hour run.

Wunderbar

Arcane
idk, at least warhorse could've picked a name that would sound similar in different languages. Mateusz becomes Matthew, Frizek becomes Fritz - it makes sense. Jindrich becoming Henry is way more jarring.

I assume 'universal' names like Robert, Martin or Daniel weren't a thing back then. Everybody was Ondřej, Jindřich or Matěj. Imagine anyone non-Czech trying to deal with that during their 60+ hour run.
Ondřej -> Andrew is already an improvement.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Reminds me of the Witcher 3.
Medieval times, Poland, some swamp filled with all kinds of creatures from slavic folklore, you meet a godling, and his name is fucking Johnny.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Medieval times, Poland, some swamp filled with all kinds of creatures from slavic folklore, you meet a godling, and his name is fucking Johnny.

In Polish its Janek, a Polish sounding name. Anyway, Sapkowski never cared about consistency of naming. There are people like Voivod Bronibor and sorceress Tissaia de Vries.

Wunderbar

Arcane
In Polish its Janek, a Polish sounding name.
yeah i know, i just think it's stupid that he was renamed for the western audience. It robs players of authenticity and worsens the game's setting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
yeah i know, i just think it's stupid that he was renamed for the western audience. It robs players of authenticity and worsens the game's setting.

What authenticity? Witcher is not a game about Slavic world. Main characters are called Geralt, Yennefer (inspired by Guinevre from Arthurian myth) and Triss Merigold. Kingdoms are Temeria (Latin name), Kaedwen (Celtic name) or Nilfgaard.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
yeah i know, i just think it's stupid that he was renamed for the western audience

For you it might be stupid.

But if Geralt was Zbygniew, Yennefer was Malgorzata and Triss was Agniezska maybe Iwinski would be still selling bootleg DVDs in dark alleys and Sapkowski would've drunk himself to death in a poorhouse.

Wunderbar

Arcane
yeah i know, i just think it's stupid that he was renamed for the western audience
For you it might be stupid.

But if Geralt was Zbygniew, Yennefer was Malgorzata and Triss was Agniezska maybe Iwinski would be still selling fake DVDs in dark alleys and Sapkowski would've drunk himself to death in a poorhouse.
i'm complaining about names being changed in translation/localization. It would be like Yennefer becoming Jennifer in english version.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki why did you name Henry "Henry"?

Wouldn't it be better it give him a proper Czech name that would sound pleasant in other languages instead of renaming him from Jindrich to Henry to Heinrich to whatever?
I still can't get over the fact that all characters are named differently depending on a language.
Because in the original he has a super Czech name. Jindřich, colloquially Jindra. Which is terribly pronouncable for non-native speakers (They'd probably probably go for GIN-JIK or some such abomination). And it actually isn't of Czech origin - it comes from German Heinrich, which is Henry in English.
Dan decided the original name waaaaay back when.

As for why? Well, apparently the issue you have with it is a minority opinion nobody involved has.
After all, you yourself are inconsistent in your approach
Ondřej -> Andrew is already an improvement.
Too many Czech names are hard and we don't want everybody to have some universal Greek, Jewish or latin name like David, Helena, Pet(e)r etc.

So we decided to write the game in Czech first with typical names of the land and era (mostly old Czech names, christian names, Germanic names) and then, when it came to translation, we went through the list and decided with each name whether to localize it, translate it, keep it, or transliterate it.
Hanuš -> Hanush (transliteration)
Bořek -> Bernard (localization)
Jindřich -> Henry (trabslation)
Johanka -> Johanka

Last edited:

Smejki

Developer
This is called localization and it's a fine art full of hard decisions.
Although in this case the pronunciation is simple so if I were to localize it I would either opt for Janek or for transliteration Yanek.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Smejki you should've stuck with Jindrich.

Americans have no problems with memorizing and pronouncing names like that, they have a congressman named Gingrich.

Communist

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
i'm complaining about names being changed in translation/localization. It would be like Yennefer becoming Jennifer in english version.

In the original, Sapkowski used Germanic / English / Gaelic names. There was very little Slavic influence, he even called the volkhvs "Druids". So everything is correct. The only Slavic thing that was in the book Witcher was the relationship between people.

Smejki

Developer
Smejki you should've stuck with Jindrich.

Americans have no problems with memorizing and pronouncing names like that, they have a congressman named Gingrich.
Oh boy, and if we didn't translate names of professions and made Henry a window cleaner instead of a blacksmith he would be known as Jindřich - myč oken, or Myč Jindřich -> Mitch Jindrich -> [Mitch Gingrich].
Somebody blend McConnel and Gingrich together in Photoshop! I might need some strong emetic one day.

on a serious note. Jindřich is pronounced https://forvo.com/word/jindřich/

Smejki What's up with the radio silence on KCD2? It's been what, 3 years, since KCD came out? Gotta have something to wet our appetites by now. I know the popular marketing model is to release the bulk of advertising/etc closer to release, but you gotta slow roll people too. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom