Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have lvl 9 sword skill but I still feel I suck at the combat. How do you break his combos? When my enemies start a combo, it's like my keyboard becomes unresponsive.

By having higher base stats like strength and agility. My strategy for harder enemies is to push against them and get locked in to "struggle" , pushing the right mouse button normally ends up with them pushed back. If you are fast enough you can smack them a few times on the head. If you don't succeed,then rush to him and do it again. Because it is op i only use it on shielded enemies.
Combos are kind of unblockable because the AI is executing it as a single attack and not chain of attacks. Best way is to have good armour and shield. You can do a riposte if you are in a single combat,but in a mass butchery,forget it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm glad i can't play this game yet. Even beyond fixing the bugs seems like this this needs a lot of work to get up to my standards of masochism and autism.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That duel is not very practical,,he must have low stats. Most of my enemy die when i hit them on the weapon aka they try to block and don't have shields. It is ridiculous. Also combos are useless,if you have a problem with an enemy just push in him for struggle animation and after you win the struggle hit him on the head.
from the sound of it, most of you wish that stats had less of an effect on combat and/or there were level scaling. A reminder that this is how games like Skyrim play from the moment you start them, not when you are high level.

but I guess a lower level cap would also be feasible, along with the elimination of some of the more OP perks.
I just upgraded my CPU. Now I can finally play this game. And catch up on 100 pages of in this thread.
time to choose your side in the butthurt wars
I am saying that i can beat the crap out of the knight in half the time,the duel is shiny and cool,but it is not practical. Last time we met,he lost half his health when we crossed swords and yielded. I kind of like the game the way it is. Mass battles will become unplayable if there is too much balance. Still it is ridiculous to kill an enemy with a single hit trough their parry. At least to make that blocking doesn't cause damage to the enemy.

imweasel

I have lvl 9 sword skill but I still feel I suck at the combat. How do you break his combos? When my enemies start a combo, it's like my keyboard becomes unresponsive.
Combat can be easily broken making almost every fight (all fights?) trivial. Just keep stabbing (right mouse button) until the enemy runs out of stamina. Then every hit will connect. Drink a stamina potion before combat if you want.

I do this every time now. Whittling the enemy down with master strikes and ripostes is boring as fuck. Risen had a similar system where you had to time your attacks and defense, but it was substantially more engaging and fun than this clunky crap combat.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Two-handing Herod's Sword chews through the blocks of most enemies, assuming your strength doesn't suck. I got that sword pretty early and my Defense is garbage as a result of the play style it allows. But it feels good to be a Terminator.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Combat can be easily broken making almost every fight (all fights?) trivial. Just keep stabbing (right mouse button) until the enemy runs out of stamina. Then every hit will connect. Drink a stamina potion before combat if you want.

I do this every time now. Whittling the enemy down with master strikes and ripostes is boring as fuck. Risen had a similar system where you had to time your attacks and defense, but it was substantially more engaging and fun than this clunky crap combat.
Most enemy can riposte your stabs,especially the shield guys. In mass combat this is a suicide,stabbing is good for a weaker enemy that you can kill in a hit or two. Also it heavily depends on the weapon. The combat system is great for a tournament...hope that there is one in the game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

Higher level enemies block or master strike you extremely consistently, so for them an alternative is to move up to them to force them in a clinch, win it instantly by just spamming M1 and then spamming stab and hoping the shitty hit detection works.

After playing some more, I think the core issue with KCD's melee combat is that it doesn't utilize its own strengths properly. Medieval combat (or HEMA) is centered around alternating between reading your opponent and reacting to what he does, and taking initiative and trying to attack him in a deceptive way.

Many years ago, Gothic 1 already implemented an extremely simple model of this, with its block and counter-attack mechanics. This was then re-implemented in many games since, including Gothic 2, Risen, and Witcher 3.

KCD has a much much more complex combat model, and theoretically, it could support a vastly in-depth fencing model. But for whatever reason, Warhorse chose to ignore most of the complexity, and roll out a much simpler final product that is not much different from those other games. Limited funds? Afraid to scare off casuals?

For instance, they already have the directional model in the game, for attacks, stances, etc, and it would be fairly easy to introduce directional blocking. Instead, they chose to go with a dumbed down one button block, which requires zero strategy or technique, and is the same as many other, much simpler games.

Another example, they create this fancy directional attack model, but what is the use of it exactly? They could have made it so that depending on the enemy's position and guard, certain areas would be more vulnerable, but in my testing, I did not see any of that. Regardless of the direction, attacks were blocked most of the time, and only random chance and character stats seemed to play a role. Even feints were mostly blocked. Combos use directional attacks, yes, but combos are a fairly useless feature, since any competent opponent will interrupt them.

Then we get to stuff like masterstrikes and slo-mo, which completely eliminate player skill from the equation and ruin the flow of combat. With this feature, KCD's combat is pretty much like Witcher 3 combat against humans.

I guess the positive thing is that all of this might be fixable by mods, we will see.
You do realize that while you can block regardless of direction, in order to riposte you have to do a perfect block, which is directional, don't you?

Moreover, the opponent can do the same to you.

There's an in-game character that teaches you that.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just wait a while, game is pretty smooth already bugs-wise but it seems the late-game balance is off. I know they made some last-minute changes to the armor/weapon balance, it probably backfired. Not enough testing.

I used to think that it was fairly smooth for bugs but lately they've been hitting me fairly severely, many quests outright not functioning, wrong game-states kicking in (Succeeding in something but game counts it as failure), saves disappearing in at least 2 different occassion and many other little bugs while not as major constantly reminding that this is a very rough release (like the bug with archery contest which happened during one quest now as well)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Another tip I picked up was to specify what cores different game threads are computed on. For my 4 physical/4 logical (no hyperthreading) i5-2500k CPU, I use this in my user.cfg

Code:
sys_main_CPU = 3
sys_physics_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 2

Windows and background processes are likely to shit up your primary core (#0), which is why I offload something relatively undemanding like physics onto it. Setting streaming to the 2nd and main to 3rd were just educated guesses, but I didn't want to set main to 0 because of Windows, and I didn't want to set it to 4 in case the main thread can branch to CPU#+1. I.e. in my setup, use cores 3+4, whereas if I set main to 4, it would use 4+0, the slower core b/c of windows.

In short: BES 100% removed all my small freezes and stutters, but didn't improve my FPS. Specifying my CPU cores gave me a, no shit, 10 to 20 FPS boost in the center of Rattay. Where my system used to dog out around 30 to 35 fps while sprinting from the lower gate to the upper, and occasionally freeze for 1 or 2 seconds, I was getting 45 to 60 fps without freezes. It was so good I cranked up some more CPU intensive settings.

AwesomeButton
Unfortunately this made no difference for me. I'm sprinting with the horse through Rattay, entering through the gate from the Miller's side, then going via the main street through the exit that leads to the training ground, returning then from the training ground, through the other gate, back to the center square. With or without these CPU settings, I'm in the mid 30-ies of FPS. I have had no stutters to begin with, so I haven't used the anti-stutter mod. Maybe in my case it's my GPU that's the bottleneck (Gigabyte WindForce GTX 780 Factory OC)?

BTW, when I look at Resource Monitor, the CPU cores load doesn't seem at all different, with or without these CPU settings:

ucAecvS.jpg

I am on same boat as you but I don't think it's your GPU bottlenecking but the CPU as it's at 100%. I have GTX 1080 and I too get 20-35 FPS in Rattay.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't use combos or ripostes or master strikes. I just try to block an attack and then sneak a stab in, or swing from a direction that's farther than where he holds his weapon.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am on same boat as you but I don't think it's your GPU bottlenecking but the CPU as it's at 100%. I have GTX 1080 and I too get 20-35 FPS in Rattay.
The CPU goes to 100% when I alt-tab out in order to look at Resource Monitor. The more differentiated oscillogramme is from when I was in the game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Another tip I picked up was to specify what cores different game threads are computed on. For my 4 physical/4 logical (no hyperthreading) i5-2500k CPU, I use this in my user.cfg

Code:
sys_main_CPU = 3
sys_physics_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 2

Windows and background processes are likely to shit up your primary core (#0), which is why I offload something relatively undemanding like physics onto it. Setting streaming to the 2nd and main to 3rd were just educated guesses, but I didn't want to set main to 0 because of Windows, and I didn't want to set it to 4 in case the main thread can branch to CPU#+1. I.e. in my setup, use cores 3+4, whereas if I set main to 4, it would use 4+0, the slower core b/c of windows.

In short: BES 100% removed all my small freezes and stutters, but didn't improve my FPS. Specifying my CPU cores gave me a, no shit, 10 to 20 FPS boost in the center of Rattay. Where my system used to dog out around 30 to 35 fps while sprinting from the lower gate to the upper, and occasionally freeze for 1 or 2 seconds, I was getting 45 to 60 fps without freezes. It was so good I cranked up some more CPU intensive settings.

AwesomeButton
Unfortunately this made no difference for me. I'm sprinting with the horse through Rattay, entering through the gate from the Miller's side, then going via the main street through the exit that leads to the training ground, returning then from the training ground, through the other gate, back to the center square. With or without these CPU settings, I'm in the mid 30-ies of FPS. I have had no stutters to begin with, so I haven't used the anti-stutter mod. Maybe in my case it's my GPU that's the bottleneck (Gigabyte WindForce GTX 780 Factory OC)?

BTW, when I look at Resource Monitor, the CPU cores load doesn't seem at all different, with or without these CPU settings:

Try going for older drivers guys,i am at 60 fps with gtx 580. I use 341.44 drivers or 353.62,don't remember which one :) . Haven't had any graphical problems in years in games that most 1080 have problems. Another option is to just lower the quality.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
No I got 50B from industry revenue reporting, from MPAA, RIAA and counterparts.

You are then trying to lump in ancillary businesses. Its not close Chum.

MPAA and RIAA are America only—you’re comparing domestic movie + music to global game revenue. Apples and oranges.

I guess you selectively read that sentence and missed the key words "and counterparts". Anyhow, that's fine.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Try going for older drivers guys,i am at 60 fps with gtx 580. I use 341.44 drivers or 353.62,don't remember which one :) . Haven't had any graphical problems in years in games that most 1080 have problems. Another option is to just lower the quality.

The issue is mainly on Rattay, I am locked 60FPS about everywhere else (dips in other settlements). It seems solely to be CPU issue as it's always on full load in those places for me. Anyhow, I do wonder what settings you're using with 580GTX, I'd not like my game look like Minecraft.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The game looks relatively fine at minimum settings if you don't care about your 16x anti anisotropy and 4X MSAA, those two kill performance.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The issue is mainly on Rattay, I am locked 60FPS about everywhere else (dips in other settlements). It seems solely to be CPU issue as it's always on full load in those places for me. Anyhow, I do wonder what settings you're using with 580GTX, I'd not like my game look like Minecraft.
The game looks ok even on low,the plants are really ugly pixel blobs but the rest is ok. To answer your question,i do use medium settings more or less. I do fiddle with it a little. As for Rattay,it must be the architecture or the item placement. I fought battles with more than 30-40 people and didn't had any problems. It must be loading Rattay as a whole cell. Do you get constant problem or it just lags for a 10-20 seconds and then runs ok?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron

The game looks ok even on low,the plants are really ugly pixel blobs but the rest is ok. To answer your question,i do use medium settings more or less. I do fiddle with it a little. As for Rattay,it must be the architecture or the item placement. I fought battles with more than 30-40 people and didn't had any problems. It must be loading Rattay as a whole cell. Do you get constant problem or it just lags for a 10-20 seconds and then runs ok?

I don't get hangups or the sort. It's just 'solid' 20-30 FPS all around, especially the market area. That place is the worst. The moment I leave the city it's back to 60FPS

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm doing a second playthrough now and I'm curious how the fuck dodging works. It's so incredibly inconsistent for me.

I'm doing a second playthrough now and I'm curious how the fuck dodging works. It's so incredibly inconsistent for me.
Yes, that and knocking people out from stealth mode. Fucking Night Raid... I ended up using headshots with a Cuman Bow and piercing arrows.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In Night Raid just get caught instantly by whistling to a guard, there's no good outcome from the quest and it doesn't matter if you fail or complete it.

In Night Raid just get caught instantly by whistling to a guard, there's no good outcome from the quest and it doesn't matter if you fail or complete it.
Yes, I found that out the hard way. Oh, well, at least I levelled up archery a bit.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yes, I found that out the hard way. Oh, well, at least I levelled up archery a bit.
It honestly got me pretty pissed. I redid my entire equipment for that quest hoping to get some really good stealth gameplay where I could solve the issue quietly, but nope, more linear shit.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, not sure if I just missed it, but I feel like compared to the rest of the prologue it's undervalued that your char at some time makes his first kill.
I mean, he is horrified by all the killing around him, but when he first kills somebody, it's just like "Meh, whatever"?!
Of course this shouldn't be a huge thing like it probably would be nowadays, but still.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So, not sure if I just missed it, but I feel like compared to the rest of the prologue it's undervalued that your char at some time makes his first kill.
I mean, he is horrified by all the killing around him, but when he first kills somebody, it's just like "Meh, whatever"?!
Of course this shouldn't be a huge thing like it probably would be nowadays, but still.
I thought the same thing. For me the first person I killed were the two Cumans who had abducted you-know-who, so from a character development point of view, it could be seen as self defense.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom