Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Codex Year of the Donut
Yall forget about that Czech Billionaire who gave them 10 million $$. If he so much as leaves crumbs for warhorse to nibble on this would already be a very good deal for them.
IIRC he's a majority shareholder in Warhorse, so the company technically gets everything.
Interesting. That would mean that Vavra and his business partner sold their souls to a billionaire for funding.
videogames cost money to develop
people who think the 1 million euros from kickstarter could have funded the entire thing are delusional

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
All I remember is that Vavra claimed that Billionaire didn't understand video games and just gave them money to diversify his portfolio. It can be seen as both a boon and a curse as he would be unlikely to interfere with development to enforce his vision like specialized publishers do but at the same time he's not particularly invested in that industry and could very well call it a one time lucky shot, leaving the studio without funding again.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Where would you read that?
Dunno where I read it originally, but upon googling it, for example here (in czech):
https://www.cnews.cz/kingdom-come-deliverance-milion-kopii
Většinu hry ale nakonec zaplatil Zdeněk Bakala, který mj. vlastní 70% podíl ve Warhorse.

That would imply Warhorse was valued at around 15 millions in 2014 which I find unlikely. Sounds more like just ''among other things'' than the key part of the deal he made with them.

imweasel

Interesting. That would mean that Vavra and his business partner sold their souls to a billionaire for funding.
videogames cost money to develop
people who think the 1 million euros from kickstarter could have funded the entire thing are delusional
No shit.

We are discussing if Vavra and his business partner turned over control of their company for funding, because that would be a pretty big deal. Please keep up.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think Vavra owns 15% of the company, Klima owns 15% and the billionaire the rest, at least that's what the interwebz are saying.

I guess they sold the company when they couldn't find a publisher after two years of creating the prototype and both of them teetering on the verge of bankruptcy. Understandable.

Meanwhile we're closing the second week after the release and the game is still No. 3 global bestseller, with 60k concurrent players and one of the top games on Twitch (although the Twitch ranking is falling hard, from the initial 180k viewers to the 20k viewers, last I checked).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
My glowing praise of the game for the priest quest gets tempered straight away by the whole "Vipers Nest" and "Baptism in Fire" quest line.
From great quest design and story telling to god fucking awful stealth and even worse jank-ass combat. You tried fighting the cumin archers on their little stairs/platforms thing?

Volken

Scholar
All this drama. All forces of evil attacking at once like a pack of rabid dogs. Fucking Illuminati and NWO pumping dirty money into mouths of their leftist lackeys.

Yet he is victorious! Daniel Vávra - the last Straight White Male GameDev. Keep fighting the good fight!

:salute:

I think that sjw's are trying to delete me
Infecting my balls and destroying my mind
No mangina of the left could ever stop me
The fight for truth is a fight to the sperg

White Male, Holy Grail
White Male, Holy Grail

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I enjoyed the meta-level of the whole thing. I mean, Henry basically spread Hussitism to this village with a successful sermon and we all know about the Hussite Wars from real life, of course. <insert wank emoji here>
From what I've seen suggested, the Hussite wars will break out in KCD2.

Don't you idiots know? Medieval combat was about looking your enemy in the eye and waiting for them to attack so you could block them in slow motion to do a master strike.
What do you suggest, smartass? "Medieval combat is actually about mashing buttons and dragging the mouse"? :lol:

When I turned LOD settings to the max, I gained about 10 fps, from about 30-33 fps to 40-43.
Yep, already confirmed by two other people.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
My glowing praise of the game for the priest quest gets tempered straight away by the whole "Vipers Nest" and "Baptism in Fire" quest line.
From great quest design and story telling to god fucking awful stealth and even worse jank-ass combat. You tried fighting the cumin archers on their little stairs/platforms thing?
You don't have to stealth through vipers nest. Just dress up as a cuman and pass a speech check and you can walk around freely

Also, Godwin's quest is pretty shit. Go here, talk to the priest, go there talk to the priest, watch a long ass cutscene, pass some speech checks. The most memorable quest IMO was the first part of the Waldensians,
where you have to follow the heretic's testimony

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam takes about 30% off and Warhorse have to pay taxes too. I'd say maybe 50-60% of the sales is a net profit.

afaik steam is between 30-40%, I assume 30% is the bargain given to long term partners whereas 40% is the regular price. Consoles companies do typically eat 50% in total.

Deep Silver is probably more of a contractor than anything but Warhorse does have a publisher who funded the entire game and if it turns into a drama like New Vegas that would be a shame.

Valve chargs 30% across the board.. GOG is also 30%

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think Vavra owns 15% of the company, Klima owns 15% and the billionaire the rest, at least that's what the interwebz are saying.
I checked the commercial registry because I was curious and it's exactly 70% Bakala, 17% Vávra and 13% Klíma.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's a mystery, the only thing you can find out is the starting capital, which in no way reflects the company's worth.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I must say,that millionaire is ether a financial genius with a crystal ball or he really love games. Throwing 10 millions on dream is a huge risk at best. Also there could be clause that says that they get the right to buy back his cut on certain price when the game came out. Don't know really. Any way,the game is great,the millionaire didn't messed up things for them.

Elex

Arbiter
he is the guy happy from the social drama around KCD because is free marketing?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must say,that millionaire is ether a financial genius with a crystal ball or he really love games. Throwing 10 millions on dream is a huge risk at best. Also there could be clause that says that they get the right to buy back his cut on certain price when the game came out. Don't know really. Any way,the game is great,the millionaire didn't messed up things for them.

$10 million is probably nothing to this guy. He wanted some media exposure, Vavra had a good looking property, an excellent track record and he was a motivated seller. Seems like the big financier is simply a good investor as he’s likely made a killing here.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Disgusting.

So many peasants. I must turn Henry in a proper God serving, honorable, skilled Knight and kill enemies in the name of Jesus Christ.

Fucking degenerate peasants.

Starwars

Arcane
So, finally got this game running pretty well using the anti-stutter mod on the nexus. Actually pretty impressed with how it performs and looks on my old rig.

But, even though I'm still only in the beginning areas, bugs aplenty already. My favorite were teleporting Cumans in the part where you get chased to Talmberg on horseback. Can't even describe the madness that was going on but the game crashed shortly after so I guess something went seriously wrong. Other than that, people walking on thin air and through each other, getting stuck on things seem pretty common. And now, as I was heading back to Skalitz, the game teleported me into a cutscene right *into* Skalitz while I was actually less than half the way from actually getting there from Talmberg. Maybe not a bug but a feature? But sure felt pretty strange.

My understanding is that the game opens up later but I'm not impressed with how the game does the story thing so far. The cutscenes and VO are fine in themselves but it's just quite boring so far.

Not really feeling it right now, hopefully it'll get better.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I have taken up a new lifestyle. No longer do I need sleep, I just drink cockerel potions to keep me awake, marigold potions for healing and eat rotten venison from my 200 kg collection of it on my horse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom