Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Elex

Arbiter
Game balance with armor is also confused and strange, there's no incentive to role play as a lightly armored agile short sword wielding rogue since wearing full plate doesn't decrease your agility, attack speed or dodge success in the slightest,
yes that is the entire point of the finely crafted armor you get in game.
it’s not about game balance is about plate armor tecnology and craftmanship.

the weigth of the armor and the joint are balanced and crafted for not limiting the wearer: because the most dangerous thing is when the wearer get unbalanced and fall on ground =dead by stab on a weakspot.

real lifeplate armor are better fantasy armor, and what fantasy consider “light armor” is not armor at all.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Something that could definitely benefit from modding is how much meat you get from killed game and how much it then costs when you sell it. Some rebalancing could tone down the biggest cheese temptations.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Game balance with armor is also confused and strange, there's no incentive to role play as a lightly armored agile short sword wielding rogue since wearing full plate doesn't decrease your agility, attack speed or dodge success in the slightest,
yes that is the entire point of the finely crafted armor you get in game.
it’s not about game balance is about plate armor tecnology and craftmanship.

the weigth of the armor and the joint are balanced and crafted for not limiting the wearer: because the most dangerous thing is when the wearer get unbalanced and fall on ground =dead by stab on a weakspot.

real lifeplate armor are better fantasy armor, and what fantasy consider “light armor” is not armor at all.

Yeah, this isn't really the issue the game has as such, just that the rest of the game isn't designed with countering the player in mind.
Every other pseudo-rpg already has the "light armor and dual short swords" on par with any other option including full plate and twohander, people wanted things to be different instead and that's what we got... Just that this wasn't done well.

I don't want every game to be dragon age/mmo combat crap "2 daggers = fast attack, low damage, high crit = same average dps as greatsword lol" and "heavy armor makes you so slow and low evasion so it works out to the same level of protection in practice as light armor lol".

Short sword should be a side-arm as it was in reality, light armor (gambeson or some such) could be worn in towns maybe instead of plate automatically unless you're there specifically for combat, many possibilities...

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Something that could definitely benefit from modding is how much meat you get from killed game and how much it then costs when you sell it. Some rebalancing could tone down the biggest cheese temptations.
The amount of hare meat you can get is hilarious for sure. Haven't even bothered hunting the other animals.
Also... How can the inns in town sell fresh food when everything you get your hands on, including animal meat just spoils practically by the minute? Do the hunters shoot one hare and then sprint the fuck back with its meat?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The amount of hare meat you can get is hilarious for sure. Haven't even bothered hunting the other animals.
Also... How can the inns in town sell fresh food when everything you get your hands on, including animal meat just spoils practically by the minute? Do the hunters shoot one hare and then sprint the fuck back with its meat?

They must have freezers. Trying to find logic in crpgs is futile, what does it matter anyway?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This was the first game that actually gave me so much meat from a deer I was overburdened, I reckon that counts as realism pretty sure, don't turn the meat down.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

They must have freezers. Trying to find logic in crpgs is futile, what does it matter anyway?
It just amused me a bit once I realized how fast the meat spoils when you do the hunting yourself, that's all.

Elex

Arbiter
Just finished the game and...

The main quest of revenge remain unsolved. The bad guys get away, you never get to meet Sigismund, and you don't even recover the stolen sword. Now I was bored out of my mind at this point, as many others here have pointed out - the game lose its luster at the midpoint. But I have to say, this ending feels like crap to be honest even if I didn't care that much. You save a castle, and it turns out you got blue blood after all. Then you have a 15 minute epilogue which sets up Kingdom Come 2 or a DLC/expansion. Totally anti-climatic ending. I thought the game was supposed to be self-contained, I guess I was wrong. A disappointment, and it looks like people on the Steam forum isn't liking it much either, meaning having to pay for the true ending if its not provided for free which I highly doubt.
i think the game is supposed to be the first of a trilogy.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

It just amused me a bit once I realized how fast the meat spoils when you do the hunting yourself, that's all.

Yeah, I do think the food spoils a bit too fast. Maybe that's to make the hunting perk more useful which reduces the rate of spoiling significantly. I'd like them to make hunting more useful, such as recipes for different kind of foods, which would potentially give buffs, not sure how necessary those would be in Kingdom Come.

What I've played so far, Kingdom Come has great potential, but needs more fleshing out, but now that it has sold seemingly so well, they should have money to make real expansions and make more content. When it comes to combat, one of the things I like is that weapons feel like they have mass and weight, doesn't feel like I'm waving dagger around when I'm using long sword, also about the armors, putting on breastplates and what not does reduce speed at least based on what UI tells me, but maybe the effect of it is either bugged or doesn't slow down enough. The game definitely needs more combat, I haven't played the main story quests very far yet, been doing the side quests and shit so can't say much about the balance in later on.

The amount of detail they've put into the game is great to see, I don't think there are many, or even any other game with as detailed armoring system with different layers, I think Knights of Legend had but that's only one which comes to mind. Given the budget they had, KCD is imo very impressive even with some flaws and bugs. With well made expansions and modding tools, KCD could become very long lasting game, which would be great to see.

Cromwell

Arcane
On the subject of hunting, is there any way to actually make a fire and cook some meat for yourself?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You can add stuff onto pre-existing cooking pots but I've not found any other ways to cook.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
On the subject of hunting, is there any way to actually make a fire and cook some meat for yourself?

There are fireplaces in the camps around the forests. Haven't you people seen those? Just look on the map for "camp", and you'll find the campfires. You can also cook them in the fire stoves in the buildings, just move the reticle around the fire.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Yeah, I do think the food spoils a bit too fast. Maybe that's to make the hunting perk more useful which reduces the rate of spoiling significantly. I'd like them to make hunting more useful, such as recipes for different kind of foods, which would potentially give buffs, not sure how necessary those would be in Kingdom Come.

What I've played so far, Kingdom Come has great potential, but needs more fleshing out, but now that it has sold seemingly so well, they should have money to make real expansions and make more content. When it comes to combat, one of the things I like is that weapons feel like they have mass and weight, doesn't feel like I'm waving dagger around when I'm using long sword, also about the armors, putting on breastplates and what not does reduce speed at least based on what UI tells me, but maybe the effect of it is either bugged or doesn't slow down enough. The game definitely needs more combat, I haven't played the main story quests very far yet, been doing the side quests and shit so can't say much about the balance in later on.

The amount of detail they've put into the game is great to see, I don't think there are many, or even any other game with as detailed armoring system with different layers, I think Knights of Legend had but that's only one which comes to mind. Given the budget they had, KCD is imo very impressive even with some flaws and bugs. With well made expansions and modding tools, KCD could become very long lasting game, which would be great to see.

I do hope that the post-release support and whatnot will be good enough (and hopefully also the mods) to keep interest in the game high and set possible sequels up for success. A lot hinges on the devs now to fix the technical issues and provide some additional content if possible. I'm a little afraid that given the problems the game has and the decline in quality of the later stages plus ending, interest may fall off instead and a sequel could suffer much lower sales as a result.
Good luck to warhorse though!

Cromwell

Arcane

There are fireplaces in the camps around the forests. Haven't you people seen those? Just look on the map for "camp", and you'll find the campfires. You can also cook them in the fire stoves in the buildings, just move the reticle around the fire.

Yeah I know but that wasnt my point. There should be an option to make your own fire in a game lie this and I was wondering if I was just to stupid to see it.

Balor

Arcane
I've been thinking about 'limited saves' aspect.
It *does* make the game more fun in the long run (CTDs notwithstanding), but they really dropped the ball on implementation.
'Saviour schnapps'? Fucking really? It is DUMB and there is no denying that.

I propose a different system:
Press F5 and Henry knees, offering a brief prayer to the God, and your game as saved as it is completed.

1. It is extremely in-character. Being a pious lad, Henry SHOULD be praying frequently, especially after, say, narrowly escaping death after clearing a bandit camp.
2. It will prevent cheese with saving after each step by requiring a bit of time, generating some noise and opening you to attack (so no saving midbattle or during lockpicking/pickpocketing)
3. It puts the 'save' in "Jesus saves".

Hopefully devs still reading this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I asked precisely this question, but it's in the pre release thread. Do apples start going bad only after I pick them up from the table. No one answered :)

Elex

Arbiter
It *does* make the game more fun in the long run (CTDs notwithstanding), but they really dropped the ball on implementation.

Press F5 and Henry knees, offering a brief prayer to the God, and your game as saved as it is completed.

1. It is extremely in-character. Being a pious lad, Henry SHOULD be praying frequently, especially after, say, narrowly escaping death after clearing a bandit camp.
2. It will prevent cheese with saving after each step by requiring a bit of time, generating some noise and opening you to attack (so no saving midbattle or during lockpicking/pickpocketing)

yes i got the same idea, maybe put in donation to the church for saves

like 2-3 saves cheap
8-9 saves tons of money

so if you want to scumsaves for stealing and looting/combat you basically get limited money from it.

but if you need some extra check point it’s cheap.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

PrettyDeadman

yes i got the same idea, maybe put in donation to the church for saves

like 2-3 saves cheap
8-9 saves tons of money

so if you want to scumsaves for stealing and looting/combat you basically get limited money from it.

but if you need some extra check point it’s cheap.
You only really need 1 save to savescum.
If result is negative - you roll back, if its positive - you rewrite the old save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom