Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance Beta Released

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Funny how the Czechs worship their hiking simulator and rush in to defend it vigorously every time someone dares to say something bad about it. :D

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Funny how the Czechs worship their hiking simulator and rush in to defend it vigorously every time someone dares to say something bad about it. :D

Not every time. For example nobody gives a fuck about what you say.

Aww, do I see butthurt? Or you just "don't give a fuck" so intensely that you have to quote my post and tell me? :D

Anybody has played the beta/alfa? How good is combat system compared to Mount&Blade, Dark Messiah or Dark Souls?

MB, DM and DS have action combat...more sophisticated but still traditional - whack your opponent until he runs out of HP. KCD is unique in that it's trying to imitate real fencing, with positioning, feigning, parrying, half-swording, combos etc. There are no action moves like rolling or pirouettes that would get you killed in real combat, everything tries to be as authentic as possible for a videogame.

The result is predictable - it's not for everyone. It's completely different from what gamers learned to expect from a real time melee combat. Personally, it's still hasn't grown on me, maybe because it's still far from finished. Authentic swordplay is notoriously hard to replicate in a computer, they took a huge risk to attempt that when so many devs before them concluded it's impossible.

Anyway you still have alternative modes - thief or diplomat and I think in both of those you can avoid melee combat completely.

Sounds good! Will back it!

Paul_cz

Arcane

Only when what someone says is fucking stupid. See, case in point:

Looks like Oblivion with mods.

Btw, for me, it absolutely unashamedly is a hiking simulator at this point. I don't play quests or combat in this unoptimized unfinished beta.

Here, have some more hiking sim shots from Oblivion with mods:

00033yhyzz.jpg

00074nvz07.jpg

00038seyma.jpg

00045wylc5.jpg

00051hsbnu.jpg

00057jryok.jpg

00062xyyy6.jpg

00068twx2l.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My problem with this always was that I could see the same thing just by going outside (including the hanged dude, if I were to visit the proper demonstration). It's missing the fantasy oomph.

Oh well, we shall see soon.

Tigranes

Arcane
Holy shit, this looks good.

Yeah if you compare this to Oblivion then you're part of the reason for the absence of art direction

Paul_cz

Arcane
My problem with this always was that I could see the same thing just by going outside (including the hanged dude, if I were to visit the proper demonstration). It's missing the fantasy oomph.

Oh well, we shall see soon.

But that's the thing, with this I won't have to go outside, I will be able to see and explore this from my couch :p :thumbsup:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

Only when what someone says is fucking stupid.

Well, when I see something stupid, I just ignore it. Try that, it makes navigating the internet much more tolerable. Some people just don't share your "best graphix evar!!!1111" opinion and shoving screenshots in their face probably won't change that.

On a side note, it seems to me that many developers spend a lot of resources on implementing whatever is the latest and most hyped technology at the time and then have little left for actually making an interesting game. Someone mentioned this project earlier in the thread - consider that it was made by one single guy using mostly free tools like Unity and Blender. Compare that to the resources Vavra has at his disposal, is the difference in looks really worth that much?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because graphics are what makes a game interesting, and that's why I have over 100 hours sank into Mount & Blade mods.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Graphix whores: Why this game can't run at 60 FPS, with 16x AA and 4k on my Titan?
Minecraft crowd: Can I build a hut on it?
Elder Scrolls crowd: Can I play like a hot furry elf lady on it?
RPGCodex crowd: But at that time, the sword grip on that historical sword was different, those developers are hacks!
Czech nationalists: This game is czech made by an authentic bearded czech man and you walk alot on medieval czech lands, it is czech awesome!

Good gameplay lovers: Does it have good gameplay?
Everyone else: Good gameplay is optional and is outdated, nobody cares about it.

Weasel
Graphix whores: Why this game can't run at 60 FPS, with 16x AA and 4k on my Titan?
Minecraft crowd: Can I build a hut on it?
Elder Scrolls crowd: Can I play like a hot furry elf lady on it?
RPGCodex crowd: But at that time, the sword grip on that historical sword was different, those developers are hacks!
Czech nationalists: This game is czech made by an authentic bearded czech man and you walk alot on medieval czech lands, it is czech awesome!

Everyone else: Good gameplay is optional.

SJW crowd: Where are the black medieval Czech people? What is that shirt Vavra is wearing, what does it say? Neckbeard... something...

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From the first moment I learned about this game, the combat was the first thing I doubted. I think that they should have tried like it was in Mount and Blade: Warband or as in Chivalary: Medieval Warfare.

How anyone can write that this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_FaCYkDxoA
Looks bad is beyond me.
Looks like Oblivion with mods.

The graphics are good. But those forested landscape shots really do remind me of Oblivion.

If anyone played this Beta already, then please tell me I am wrong. But from that video, there doesn't seen to be anything worth exploring, since the guy just walked for 7 minutes and the only thing he discovered was a guard guarding his laundry (that seen change from white to black in a instant).

On a side note, it seems to me that many developers spend a lot of resources on implementing whatever is the latest and most hyped technology at the time and then have little left for actually making an interesting game.

Well it depends how that technology is implemented. For instance since you are talking about the "Dynamic Weather", Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain impleted it in a very good way that impacts gameplay (when rains the enemies hearing range decreases, if there is fog the their field of view also decreases and in sandstorms you are practically a ghost). Thus becoming a gameplay mechanic and not just decoration.

Everyone else: Good gameplay is optional and is outdated, nobody cares about it.

Most of the people I know, as well as most people, that play games think like this. For them only a "deep emotional engaging" story and pretty graphics matter. Good gameplay and content are just little details. That's way there's few good games nowadays.
:negative:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Alright, so I gave it a go. It's an interesting game with a nice atmosphere.

Problems:

There are two huge problems, and a bunch of smaller ones.

The biggest are:
1. COMBAT
- Half the time you don't know what to do to score a hit, and another half you have no idea what's going on.
- There is no good feedback during combat. Half the time you don't know whether you blocked an attack or not.
- After you get parried, you don't know if you can do anything to block the next attack or not. You spam keys and hope for the better.
- I fought the training fight for 20 minutes.
- Still don't know why most of my parries don't work.
- Should my sword face the same direction as their attack or is my timing just bad?
- You have no idea why after crossing swords, sometimes it's you who punches your enemy in the face and sometimes it's the other way around.
- Why can the enemy attack immediately after getting hit, and why can't I? Etc. So many questions...​
- Combos (that are basically essential to winning a fight) are impossible to execute well on keyboard + mouse, you feel like a handicapped person.
- Etc etc etc. Very confusing. Kinda fun, but it's spoiled by all these things. As somebody pointed out, it should've been made simpler, like Chivalry.
TL;DR combat system is broken and needs a complete rework. Which I know it most likely won't get this far in development. It's fucked.

2. TEXTURES STREAMING
- You approach a person and you see him like a sprite from Doom2. Then he starts flickering as proper textures are being uploaded into memory. Then after 5-10 seconds, he looks ok. The streaming technology is obviously fucked here. This is something that usually gets sorted at the prototyping stage, isn't it? I mean I sure hope they fix it, but I don't have much hope. This is a big problem, it's present everywhere, the ground does that, houses, castles, people, horses, etc. It must be fixed.

Other than that, here's a few things I found annoying:
- Somebody said "Every Tom, Dick and Harry" in the year 1403. Historical accuracy out the window. Poor English translation? Hire professionals pls.
- Quest tracking compass. FUCK.
- Skyrim-like inventory. Good for consoles maybe, but not for PC. What the fuck?
- Can't call the horse, so after you venture away from it for your RPG business of talking to people and stealing carrots from the houses, you don't want to go back and then you lose it entirely.
- Finally, you encounter a whore and she flirts with you, offering you her services, and the only two possible answers are "maybe later" and a strict "no". Both of which are a "no", obviously. Such RPG. Such mature themes. Sigh...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^Mostly agreed on the combat. I don't think it needs a complete rework but it certainly needs better feedback and easier controls. As of now it is confusing. Btw parries are always tricky to learn in any game. Getting the parries right in Dark Souls is an art that comes with dozens of hours of play.

Most of the rest you criticize - texture, dialogues, AI - are either just placeholders from alpha or in heavy development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom