Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kids can't hold TB combat these days

mondblut

Arcane
Maia said:
P.S. The Quest has come out for the iTouch. Now, if only they'd deign to provide a demo. Looks very interesting, but badly implemented controls can really screw up a Touch port.

Controls are mostly stylus-based. I have PalmOS Sony Clie, and while basic movement/attack/cast are mapped on control buttons, using stylus is still preferable even for these tasks, let alone for something demanding a little more precision, such as talking or trading or managing inventory.

You can download a PC demo on redshift site though.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
Maybe, but not as bloody boring as turn based combat.

Yea like in a fight you're going to take turns hitting each other.

In "real life" you don't have to worry about controlling the actions of three other people.

That's why I hate real-time systems for party-based combat. It's kind of a pain to keep track of everything.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's as lazy to use graphics from JA as from JA2. No? As far as I understand, JA for DS is a direct port of JA, same engine, same gameplay. Nothing new.

Oh and thanks CF for reminding us how lame a troll you can be.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Awesome. Now all we need is to bring into play the other perennial favourite - What is the definition of a role playing game - and the universe will explode. Maybe you guys should start by defining turn based and real time role playing games?

That would be fun ;)

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Cloaked Figure said:
I'm ready for a TB/RT combat discussion any time you want, and I will probably crush any ridiculous argument you can throw at me. go on, just tell me why you think TB is so much better than pure RT. i'm waiting.
Aw! Tough guy!
TB is better cause that's what I enjoy best.

feighnt

Scholar
why would people get worked up because someone is saying they find turn based combat to be boring? if he finds it to be boring, then fine, to each their own. :?

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
feighnt said:
why would people get worked up because someone is saying they find turn based combat to be boring? if he finds it to be boring, then fine, to each their own. :?

well its more or less about that as much as making fun of cf

Talonfire

Scholar
Cloaked Figure said:
Yea like in a fight you're going to take turns hitting each other.

What the hell are you going on about? In real life everyone takes turns fighting and shooting at each other in combat. My action point bar is gradually going down right now as I post this message. *Ends turn by clicking submit*.

Norfleet

racofer said:
"Real Time" games are actually capped at how many frames per second you play, or the refresh rate of your screen. Therefore everything is turn based, even if in disguise.
Generally, "turn-based" refers to games where typical actions are resolved in a single discrete "turn", as opposed to where the turn-cycles are shorter than the typical human reaction and the typical action one can take in the game. Thus, something like TOEE is turn-based because one can execute a move and attack in the game's discrete turn, whereas something like Diablo is real-time because the turns (framecycles) are too short for a character, or player, to coherently act in: Actions practically always span multiple frames, and the concept of the "turn" is not readily apparent unless you really dig.

Redeye

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
And what would you do if there was a Fallout released that was hex- and turn-based like the Fallouts of old... but it was on DS? Would it earn your immediate ire or awaken a faint hope?

wstgba.jpg

Also, Earthbound.
Be a nice thing to port.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Cloaked Figure said:
trying so hard

all i did was insult him and ask him why he likes TB

he cant even answer that

so go fuck yourself you bloody idiot
I could answer. But it's just so much easier to see you drowning in you own piss.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, you were debating? I thought you were just embarrassing yourself.

"In real life we don't take turns to fight" is about as moronic as saying "in real life we don't have hit-points".

Sleep on that and see if you can get it. If not, come back and I'll explain further.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom