Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kickstarter fatigue is a killer.

Yeah, well, I think that's more about stuff that wouldn't make it on the market otherwise, you know which was kinda the point of Kickstarter?
Stuff like this would sell anyway, it doesn't say anything one way or the other about "Kickstarter fatigue".

buzz

Arcane
Kickstarter fatigue is a killer.
Considering this thread turned mostly into "lets see what new shocking thing happened to some random kickstarter campaign" ...

I don't know why people are worked-up about proving kickstarter fatigue is wrong. Best case scenario right now, we hit a level of stagnation where one or two neat projects pique or interest for a bit (while we clench our buttcheeks hoping they will make it) while lots of sholveware shit and mainstream projects that don't really require to be "kickstarted" make teh big bucks. They sold over a million of those Pebble smartwatches, right now this campaign is like Apple doing an iPhone kickstarter.

I mean, look at the list of the kickstarter campaigns with the biggest number of backers:
1. Exploding Kittens - 219,382 backers
2. Bring Reading Rainbow Back for Every Child, Everywhere! - 105,857 backers
3. The Veronica Mars Movie Project - 91,585 backers
4. Double Fine Adventure - 87,142 backers
5. Torment: Tides of Numenera - 74,405 backers
6. Project Eternity - 73,986 backers
7. Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android - 68,929 backers
8. Mighty No. 9 - 67,226 backers
9. OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console - 63,416 backers
10. COOLEST COOLER: 21st Century Cooler that's Actually Cooler - 62,642 backers
11. Wasteland 2 - 61,290 backers

The first one is card game by that Oatmeal idiot (you might recognize his shitty webcomics plastered all over the Internet). The second one is a project lead by the guy from this famous epic Internet meme!!

I don't know, it's cool that somewhere around 10k people gave money out of their pocket to almost reach the funding goal for Underworld Ascension. Or that around 7000 people paid lots of dosh for the MMO Crowfall. But I'm not sure if that strikes as me as kickstarter still "going strong". It's been only around 3 years or so since Kickstarter became a thing, not all the games of the first waves were released and there's some relatively drought from the second wave. Sure, the next Larian and InXile project will make a decent amount of bucks, but have you heard anything new from Al Lowe for example?

If the interest in Kickstarter was on the rise like it was in the first one or two years, we would've have some really crazy projects by now, not something as big as an Ultima Underworld spiritual sequel barely reaching the target a few days before the end. That's how I feel, anyway.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Essegi

Cipher
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348640000/slain

Prepare to be Slain! Our homage to the gory hack and slash games of the 80's and 90's. We promise stunning visuals with gore galore. Coming to PC, Mac & Linux in May 2015.

Players control Bathoryn, a hero in a Gothic world, seeking to liberate seven great towers.

Bathoryn must battle his way through a doomed land packed with gruesome pixel art foes before ascending (or sometimes descending) each tower, defeating puzzles, traps and monsters alike. At the heart of each keep, he must confront a mighty overlord. Defeat it and Bathoryn’s quest continues. Fail, and you’ll die gruesomely - mauled by werewolves, disintegrated by floating monstrosities, squashed by great weights or torn apart by hidden blades. And you will fail...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348640000/slain

Prepare to be Slain! Our homage to the gory hack and slash games of the 80's and 90's. We promise stunning visuals with gore galore. Coming to PC, Mac & Linux in May 2015.

Players control Bathoryn, a hero in a Gothic world, seeking to liberate seven great towers.

Bathoryn must battle his way through a doomed land packed with gruesome pixel art foes before ascending (or sometimes descending) each tower, defeating puzzles, traps and monsters alike. At the heart of each keep, he must confront a mighty overlord. Defeat it and Bathoryn’s quest continues. Fail, and you’ll die gruesomely - mauled by werewolves, disintegrated by floating monstrosities, squashed by great weights or torn apart by hidden blades. And you will fail...
I won't back but I will keep an eye on this.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Support your local (codexian/eastern european) game developers and give me money on patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/dvolk

Also looking for feedback, since people here probably know a lot more about crowd funding than I do

Nobody goes to the workshop, so here's the development log for the game:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/neo-codexer-looking-for-foss-collaborators.96672/
Run a campaign on Indiegogo, is more European friendly and with flexible funding you can keep the money even if the set goal is not met.
Kickstarter is very Kwacentric and not very friendly for Eastern European, and if the set goal is not met you get nothing.

GhostBadger

Support your local (codexian/eastern european) game developers and give me money on patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/dvolk

Also looking for feedback, since people here probably know a lot more about crowd funding than I do

Nobody goes to the workshop, so here's the development log for the game:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/neo-codexer-looking-for-foss-collaborators.96672/
Game sounds interesting. And this, from the About section, seals it:

I made my own game in Haskell called hoodie.

Haskell programmers kick ass.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Dungeons of Aledorn was featured on Kicktraq a couple of days ago. Pirate-themed party-based RPD, first person exploration, third person hex-grid combat. The devs managed to use the right words to interest old school RPG fans: "we turned to the best of the best while designing DoA - Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arcania: Shadows over Riva, Might & Magic, King's Bounty and the Fallout series. In addition, our game bears many features similar to the popular pen & paper RPGs based on the D&D, Gurps and DrD (Czech equivalent of D&D) rules."

The low $60K funding goal concerns me, even if it's being developed in the Czech Republic. Will keep an eye on it.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
If their team has 12 people, the 60k would last for about 4 months. (considering Czech prices and salaries) I guess they hope to get more.

OK, so if any of you guys liked Star Control 2 or FTL maybe you'll like this too:

Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

The Game
On the edge of Terran space lies Halcyon 6, a derelict starbase left behind by a mysterious precursor race. Your mission is to reclaim the derelict station and rebuild it.

A mysterious alien force is making a beeline towards Earth and this starbase is the best chance for the Terran Republic to establish new alliances, research new technologies and otherwise figure out a way to stop the impending invasion.

Using only the resources you can salvage from the derelict station and raw materials mined from nearby asteroids, it’s up to you to rebuild the starbase to lead the Terran Republic’s scientific research, exploration and diplomatic efforts on the edge of known space.

Halcyon 6 is a passion project who’s design is inspired by our years spent playing classic games like Star Control, Master of Orion, X-COM, Civilization and of course, rogue-like games like FTL and Starbound.

Our goal for Halcyon 6 is based on building core design and gameplay elements that makes a great sci fi story: characters, with distinct skills and personalities, working together to accomplish a difficult, meaningful goal.

C095251A4847A92376D20A21F4BA767AEB443AB0

637x358.resizedimage

Features:
  • Base Building: spend resources to build station facilities (rooms) to enhance your production and technological capabilities, or build ships to help you control more territory
  • Exploration: assign your fleets to nearby star clusters, where they can handle emerging enemy threats, do missions for alien factions or secure bonus resources
  • Roster Management: assign crew to station facilities to greatly improve their output efficiency, or to ships where they can contribute in unique ways to combat, missions and events
  • Combat: fight ship/ship or officer/officer combat to resolve hostile events, create a foothold in the sector and ultimately defeat the enemy mothership!
  • Story Events: based on game criteria like rooms-built, alien diplomacy scores or officer traits/skills, the game will produce story events (often with multiple choice outcomes) that can lead to combat, time-related applied bonuses/negatives, officer attribute changes or any number of crazy in-game stories.

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Seems great to me, something sorely missing from the KS market - a space adventure with elements of 4x in the vein of SC 2 games and mysterious universe exploration with aliens, artefacts, monsters etc. They also have nice stretch goals and pledge levels, so I'm in.

Maybe someone should make a newspost for SC2 fags...

Last edited:

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If their team has 12 people, the 60k would last for about 4 months. (considering Czech prices and salaries) I guess they hope to get more.
It's basically a KS bit ala D:OS
team21 said:
@dungeoncrawl: Hi! Dan has got this one right. We've been working hard on the game out of our own pocket, and the funds we are asking are for the final push to be able to dive into the game to refine all mechanics, graphics, etc.

But before we can do that, we need everyone's help to get this funded, so you know what to do!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Hi,

Neon Sanctum, the cyberpunk card-based role playing game launches its Kickstarter today. The fundraising drive aims to raise £12,000 in order to make the game available to the global community of RPG, card and board game fans.

Neon Sanctum is an RPG with a difference. Most RPGs provide players with character sheets to store their characters’ skills, items, life, experience etc., but Neon Sanctum uses cards to represent all these things. The game is suitable for four or more players.

If you're interested in finding out more, please email Adam on neonsanctum@gmail.com or check out our Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1233586901/720400678?token=8556df11

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Hello. My name is Eduard Sidoruk, I am a game designer of the «Red Heath» project (www.redheathgame.com). This is a turn based tactical role playing game, and unfortunately nowadays there are not many games of this genre. Our game is on the stage of the finishing of preproduction and we’re gonna, in the nearest time, to start crowd funding company on indiegogo.com. It would be great, if you could help us to get acquaint the audience of your site with our game on this phase of production. With the great pleasure we will provide you any graphics and text materials.
We can promise the keys for the game and the name of your web site in credits after release “Red Heath”. ;)
Thank You for your attention.
Best regards, Eduard Sidoruk.

Not many, eh? To paraphrase Christopher Caldwell:

“One moves swiftly and imperceptibly from a world in which oldschool RPGs can’t be funded because nobody is making them to a world in which they can’t be funded because too many people are making them.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom