Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter: Exoplanet: First Contact

Darkzone

Arcane
That's all I need to know that this will be Eurotrash regardless of budget.
You mean like The Witcher series, Gothic series and Larian's Eurotrash? I think that since WL2 and PoE the US should be little more modest. ;)

Not third world? Are we talking about the same Russia?
Russia is considered as the second world, prior to Putin and since then Russia fulfilled the requirements for the first world. Russian mathematicians are the best in the world and their engineers thought one or two things even to the german engineers... Ok i admit this was in the WW2, but they still have a tank that is as good as the Leopard 2A6 if the Armata T-14 is not better than the L2A7.

Trip

Learned
They also have piss-poor population, in general. Speaking as Eastern European.

Darkzone

Arcane
Who cares about the population if you have more and better tanks. [/sarcasm]
The overall low earnings of Russia may be a problem in certain cases, but it may be also a advantage in other cases. If i would produce RPGs then i would hire Russians and Ukrainians nearly for everything and i would have only a core group of westerners to control and direct their work.
For one german or american you could have 3 poles or 6 Russians or 9 Ukrainians. In the first year they would learn (necessary investment), but after three years i could produce for 5 million (WL2 cost), games on the level of 30 millions (if they are produced in the west). And the russians and ukrainians are not bad worker or are uncreative, take a look at Pathologic from Ice-Pick Lodge.

Darkzone

Arcane
First world: Allies
Second world: Commies
Third world: Unaligned
You are correct in this definition. But there has been also attempts to classify this by economy (system wise and state wise hence the term fourth world). And since the fall of the USSR the term of second world became obsolete. Therefore First world is used for developed countries and Third world for developing countries. According to the Human Development Index russia has an High standards, but belongs to the developing countries. But that is very.. because the criteria for the developed country are high life expectancy, high education and high income and Russia has a high life expectancy (ok not necessary for males alcoholics), a high standard of education and the income is a bit problematic. In comparison to the western countries (above 12k per capita) russian earn less (upper middle income 4k-12k per capita) but the overall buying power is not much less in Russia (does not apply for western products).

Just call those countries what they are and let first/second/third world keep it's historical meaning. Like Axis and Allies for example.
Instead of a third world shithole Russia can be called a developing shithole, or the putin crater.(After usa is done with it of course)
:kwafuckyeah:

Just posting so I can be part of the inevitable Russian development status thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You mean like The Witcher series, Gothic series and Larian's Eurotrash? I think that since WL2 and PoE the US should be little more modest. ;)

CD Projekt, Piranha Bytes post-Risen and Larian pre-Original Sin: Yes

I also like WL2 and will probably like PoE so

Darkzone

Arcane
CD Projekt, Piranha Bytes post-Risen and Larian pre-Original Sin: Yes
I also like WL2 and will probably like PoE so
If the Witcher series had turn based combat, then we wouldn't even talk about WL2 and PoE. WL2 is sadly for me the great disappointment, but not PoE because i knew that it wouldn't be that great and i stated this long ago to VD before the PoE release. I'm belong to the post Apocalyptic genre fans and even i can not defend WL2. While the main plot is not bad the execution of the story thread is not good. And don't get me on the mechanics and combat. DOS while having a goofy writing is fun in combat. Gothic 1 and 2 are perhaps the milestones of a good 3rd person action RPG and i do not know any comperable US product on this level. US had their time and sadly they cannot reach this level again. Torment is currently americas only hope to show us that they are on pair with europe in the cRPG department since the death of interplay and troika games. Yes europe has produced much shit and this applies also to america, but europe at least tried to do something.

Darkzone

Arcane
If Mass Effect had turn based combat, then we wouldn't even talk about D:OS.
WTF!!! Mass Effect story is shit, like every thing else about Mass Effect. You can only like it if you like creepy gay, lesbian and alien sex (with or without the tentacles). DOS story is also shit, but the combat is fun, if you play it right. And if Mass Effect would have had turn based combat, even then DOS combat would be way better without the creepy homo and alien sex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If the Witcher series had turn based combat, then we wouldn't even talk about WL2 and PoE.

Nah, it'd be bad too, just in a different way.

While the main plot is not bad the execution of the story thread is not good.

So far my only annoyance with the writing is how they turned NPCs into info kiosks with the keyword system.

And don't get me on the mechanics and combat.

Yah, the first is bad, but that's true for most. I find the combat encounters themselves adequate.

Darkzone

Arcane
So far my only annoyance with the writing is how they turned NPCs into info kiosks with the keyword system.

Most NPC are soulless milestones of a mediocre execution of a story development and story telling. There has not been one NPC that would stick out as interesting. Not even the hobo, but at least his booze interest is understandable. You do not listen to their stories from which you derive informations, you take a keyword like in jeopardy and that is it. Fallout 1 and 2 has been miles ahead of this disappointment.

Yah, the first is bad, but that's true for most. I find the combat encounters themselves adequate.
Yes adequate bad. The combat is boring and a chore, on all difficulty levels. I have no hope for the DC edition, but there is a chance that the new mechanics can make it somehow intersting and varied.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The combat is boring and a chore, on all difficulty levels.

I don't find it worse than average RPG combat. As with SRR, the most demanding battles are still more interesting than the easiest maps of Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business.

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't find it worse than average RPG combat. As with SRR, the most demanding battles are still more interesting than the easiest maps of Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business.
To be honest the combat of SRR is also not really that interesting and i ended up doing the same things over and over again, like in WL2. In comparison the DOS combat is way more fun, and there are many approaches to each encounter even with the same abilities.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In comparison the DOS combat is way more fun, and there are many approaches to each encounter even with the same abilities.
Yes, D:OS has above-average combat for a role playing game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Codex staff caught in "burying news from indie developers" shocker!

You are right about the lack of coverage. Actually we started to send our press release and other materials to all game-related sites blogs etc. before we started our campaign, but our experience shows that the projects only get that kind of support before the launch on the Kickstarter in 2 cases. They must have some legendary developers to namerdrop or are a remake/sequel/remaster of presumably a cult game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

I think Europe (Russia is not a Europe) shoulp be more concerned about population, given the low birth rate, and the neighboring peoples who usually give birth to 4-5 children like Arabs, negros and Turks (in German).
I think Italy will fall first in next 10 years.
As I have heard, in some European countries are already offering sterilized immigrants... usual deal for historic birthplace of Nazism.
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think Europe (Russia is not a Europe) shoulp be more concerned about population, given the low birth rate, and the neighboring peoples who usually give birth to 4-5 children like Arabs, negros and Turks (in German).

Germany doesn't share a border with Turkey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom