Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter Drama: Conquistador, Shadowrun and Eisenwald

Project: Eternity
Actually there's one other thing that's more disgusting: your constant anti-Steam posturing. Get over it, son, it's a fucking vidya game launcher. Stop acting like Jesus on the fucking cross.
With morons like you to play PC games you will have to get steam, origin, uplay, gfwl, whatever shit beamdog use, installed on pc because they are all only "vidya game launchers", and there will be more of them as more and more companies will try to get all profits instead of going for your favorite saint gaben.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just curious...can we at least get a shout-out from Roguey to inXile if Fargo turns out to actually manage his own games into fruition without any embarrassment?
Sure, if Wasteland 2 is competent enough I'll post something along the lines of "Looks like Gus Smedstad was wrong."

I'm still expecting a lot of angst from reality not matching up with expectations.

Angthoron

Arcane
The problem is when the team has no project management experience, they probably underestimate the contingencies factoring into development time, specifically pertaining to the programming part (i.e. the QA and debugging portion which is inseparable from it).

This, quite a bit this. I'm sure they walked in with a "common sense" approach and everything, but there's a fairly good reason that PM formal training has become a fairly major business over the last few decades, and it's because, if learned properly, it saves companies from situations like these, or at least permits timely recovery. If Aterdux hadn't found that "whale", what would they be doing now? Saying that sorry guys, we ran out of money? Making a new KS?

But meh, I can understand it in their case, they seem to be more of an idealist bunch, you know, the sort of people that have talent and vision and want to eventually feed themselves with what they're passionate about, I can dig that. People like that are usually shit with finances and management, so if they were fortunate enough maybe they got someone to their team that's more down-to-earth or maybe even savvy in the PM field.

But what I don't get is the larger KS teams with experienced crews. Yes, I'll gladly support them because, hey, they promise something that I actually want, and maybe will even deliver on it, BUT, with the exception of Larian, I'm actually sort of on the err-ing side of things towards them because they have stretch goals and all, but they present no "financial accountability" items like project plan, milestones/goals, rudimentary schedules, costs, you know, the boring shit that would give people the idea of what the actual thing might turn out to cost/how long it might take/what the potential issues are. And knowing Obsidian's issues working on multiple projects, or project/program management, I'm wondering if they actually have this sort of a thing set up, or if they're just a team of well-meaning, well-trained professionals without a rigid plan of action.

Still, I've supported many of the promising KS projects, and I can't say I regret it by any means, even though it's meant double-funding both with private and Codex donations.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Sure, if Wasteland 2 is competent enough I'll post something along the lines of "Looks like Gus Smedstad was wrong."

I'm still expecting a lot of angst from reality not matching up with expectations.

I share this assumption, especially because 'Wasteland 2' will be the first release of a KS premium game (scheduled after Shadowrun, but they 'only' got $1.8 mio). One thing I am a little concerned about is the relative (for CRPGs) short development time of WL2 - regarding that I am not sure if they can meet all the expectations out there.

Project: Eternity
Yeah, it's totally his fault, because multimillionaire companies always refrain from pushing their weight on us if we just STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR CONSUMER RIGHTS!1! BOYCOTT NAO
They don't because majority of people are all talk, incapable of backing their words with action like those guys from that screen with boycott MW2 steam user group all playing MW2.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I think it's important to distinguish the reason why some developers/companies/people use kickstarter.

You have people that think " I want to make this project happen. I am passionate about it and I will pour my soul into this to make it happen. "

Then you have people that go " Those guys got a lot of money for nothing. I want in on that action. There's nothing better than free money. Let's cook something up. "

Sometimes it's very difficult to distinguish between these two mentalities and you may get burned. The good part is that you only lose a couple of bucks and some optimism. Is it worth the risk ? I would say yes. If kickstarter produces one (1) great game then it was worth it IMO.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Thank you very much, Shadowrun(with my money), Conquistadores (of my money), Saga (of how I lost my money?), and a few others. Mission accomplished: you shattered my 'juvenile' dreams... Dreams of transparency, freedom, friendship, and so much more. As soon as the latest updated from the nice people at HBS came out, I immediately stopped all my contributions to future Kickstarter projects and formally pledge of not spending a single dollar more on it.

And just so you know, you with your smart-ass comments and "oh my god where all this butthurt is coming from, i like steam, i like ea, i like to bend over..", it is not about save-cumming; it is not about hating Steam or corporations; it is not about specific game features or lack of thereof. It is about freedom. The freedom of playing games the fucking way I want. This is what Kickstarter was for me. I have already EA, Origin, Steam, AAA companies and maybe even GOG and anybody else fucking me over, why would I need to add Kickstarter to the list?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you very much, Shadowrun(with my money), Conquistadores (of my money), Saga (of how I lost my money?), and a few others. Mission accomplished: you shattered my 'juvenile' dreams... Dreams of transparency, freedom, friendship, and so much more. As soon as the latest updated from the nice people at HBS came out, I immediately stopped all my contributions to future Kickstarter projects and formally pledge of not spending a single dollar more on it.

And just so you know, you with your smart-ass comments and "oh my god where all this butthurt is coming from, i like steam, i like ea, i like to bend over..", it is not about save-cumming; it is not about hating Steam or corporations; it is not about specific game features or lack of thereof. It is about freedom. The freedom of playing games the fucking way I want. This is what Kickstarter was for me. I have already EA, Origin, Steam, AAA companies and maybe even GOG and anybody else fucking me over, why would I need to add Kickstarter to the list?

You forgot to add Iron Tower Studio to that list :troll:

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

You forgot to add Iron Tower Studio to that list :troll:

You are wrong. Iron Tower did not fuck me over (so far). We'll see, of course, Dead State can still become AoD with zombies (and guns), in which case I will add it to the list as you kindly pointed out.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yeah, yeah. I noticed that awhile after I made the post but your awesome editing limitations made it impossible to fix.

So thanks for that.
You're not in the edits rights group. I'm sure we had a reason for that. Probably related to brofist harvesting.

Such are the unforeseen consequences of your actions. Scum like you needs to be more careful in the future so that problems like this don't happen. :smug:

I don't even know what that means. I stopped posting for a few months and when I came back I found I could not edit posts in a few forums. Anyway Codex 2.1 and all that.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
bitComposer publishes Expeditions: Conquistador

Eschborn, April 12, 2013: Expeditions: Conquistador, a tactical role-playing game will be out by end of the second quarter 2013, offering PC adventurers an exciting and until now rarely used theme: the time of the exploration and conquest of the Americas.

Players will face difficult moral decisions as they attempt to successfully lead an Expedition of NPCs through the harsh wilderness of the historical New World. The game project, developed by Danish development studio Logic Artists was completed with the aid of a successful Kickstarter campaign. bitComposer Games will market Expeditions: Conquistador worldwide.

[...] will be out by end of the second quarter 2013

second quarter 2013

:lol: This shit gets better and better. It's just a big "fuck you" to the Kickstarter backers. Now that they have all these deals signed, they can safely dismiss and ignore their KS "compromises".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The second tax quarter 2013 began on
Monday, April 1
and ends on
Sunday, June 30

Monty

Arcane
'Signing that paperwork' sure is taking them a long time. Maybe someone was out of the office.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Publishers gonna publisher.

I hope it comes out before the end of the quarter.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
We said that post-Berlin Campaign DLC would only be available on Steam but we never said why. We regret the omission. The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. This didn’t come up earlier because the situation was complicated by the number of parties involved in the license and because the process was “ongoing”. Ultimately, we were able to successfully negotiate an exception with Microsoft for us to provide our Backers with a DRM-free version of the Kickstarter rewards (specifically the game and the Berlin Campaign) but that exception does not extend to non-reward DLC. So unfortunately, we cannot sell or give away DRM-free versions of the game or DLC on stores like GoG, and that’s why any future Shadowrun Returns DLC will only be available for purchase on Steam.

I kind of thought we were getting carried away with assuming that HBS had green eyes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom