Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Data4

Arcane
My favourite should be stock mod(s) ever since Spess Plane Plus got integrated into stock are getting updated. Near Future Solar, Spacecraft and Construction all got updated. Near future NUCULAR and propulsion still need updating. But by the time I actually progresses in career mode to unlock their parts they probably will be updated. I'll just need to mod in ore to argon conversion on the ISRU or make air scoops gather argon from intake air :M

I can't wait for Nertea to update the Mark 4 Spaceplane set. I made a shuttle with the stock Mark 3 parts and it worked well, but when I upgraded it to Mark 4, shit got sweet. I had a whole fleet of them building this little station in .90.

wMi6F37.png

8OCVdIY.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bros, the new Mobile Processing Lab mechanics are really great. Get this:

- each lab can only store a given experiment case (say soil sample from the Mun's poles) only once
- the lab does not consume the experiment nor does it require a "virgin" experiment, so you can put them in the lab and either transmit or send them back to Kerbin while the dolts keep working on the SCIENCE in SPACE
- higher level scientist kerbals=faster research
- ground-based labs give more science
- labs get a bonus if they are researching experiments you performed on the parent body (so Laythe orbital lab gets for Laythe etc.)

Of course the data they convert to science decays overtime so you need to feed it DATA FOR THE DATA THRONE!

Scientist Kerbals are pretty good now since they also reset experiments, this makes it really worthwhile to send them inside landers or for surveys. I have two female scientists doing Mun surveys and research.

Just stack proper solar panels and/or a manned pod on the base as it drains power like hell when initially processing and later researching data. Easy to lose control and wonder why the hell you can;t add experiments to processing from your hitchikers module.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, I so wish I had time to play this game now :negative: I only played it like 15 hours in an alpha state and awaited 1.0, but atm I'm too busy with my studies. At least when I will be able to play it the game should be ironed out and not have any bugs... if it does now.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hellraiser when will the playground experience the 1.0x majesty?
129586b45b2ab2e6.jpg

I have no idea if when I'll go at it again. Invisible Inc. comes out next week and I will blindly LP the 6 months worth of polishing they put into it. Also got some stuff taking up the weekends.

Probably no sooner than my planned vacation in June. Shit is going to be rather hectic until then.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Just found a bug.
Whenever the new overheat gauges appear during re-entry memory usage shoot up to 4GB and the game crashes. Everey single time.
F10 solves the issues.
1.0.3 here we come.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeh. There's a lot of annoying little niggles in 1.0.x still. :negative:

And all the betas were so stable too. I guess SQUAD bit off more than they could chew with all the new 1.0 systems.

Data4

Arcane
God damn it. I just discovered K-OS. I never was a codemonkey, but I spent the better part of my evening last night trying to write a launch to orbit script. Any of you ever played with that before?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
God damn it. I just discovered K-OS. I never was a codemonkey, but I spent the better part of my evening last night trying to write a launch to orbit script. Any of you ever played with that before?
I had a go to the mün script once and a docking script. It's a little cumbersome but pretty fun.
If only it integrated will with infernal robotics...

Data4

Arcane
I had a go to the mün script once and a docking script. It's a little cumbersome but pretty fun.
If only it integrated will with infernal robotics...

I got interested in it after I built a Delta 4 Heavy that's pretty close in performance to the real thing. In reading about the launch profile, I found it goes through several throttle settings all throughout, and I found if I mimic it somewhat, I get similar behavior. The problem is that even with Mechjeb's Ascent Guidance, I have to fiddle with the throttle percentage through different phases of the flight. I thought it'd be nice if I could figure out how to truly automate it for a complete hands-free launch to orbit, and that's when I remembered kOS. Some of the videos I've seen of it in use are amazing.

I built a simple SSTO rocket for learning the system, and so far, the best I've done is launch to an orbit with an apoapsis of >1000 km and a peri of 100. I'm having trouble getting the prograde steering to stay parallel with the surface of Kerbin during the circ. burn, instead of a vector straight out from the tangent at apoapsis.

Edit-- as for Infernal Robotics, supposedly these mechs are controlled by kOS.

Last edited:

Ashery

Prophet
It's not meant to fly; it's only meant to gather science from all the mini-biomes at KSC.

Caim

Arcane
Clearly that artist missed the point of Jeb's character. He's all about going way too fast towards the surface in machines partially made from stuff he sold to the space program that even North Korea would deem as too unsafe for its astronauts.

His idea of a romantic date is likely either rigging up parts for the next mission or an unplanned lithobreaking on the surface of Duna with Valentina at his side.

Data4

Arcane
Did Squad ever do a backstory? There's nothing in the game, and I didn't see anything on the main page. Not that big of a deal, really, but if there is some "official" lore, I wouldn't mind reading it.

Caim

Arcane
Did Squad ever do a backstory? There's nothing in the game, and I didn't see anything on the main page. Not that big of a deal, really, but if there is some "official" lore, I wouldn't mind reading it.
From what I can tell it's just a story of the Kerbals wanting to go to space. Given that a good deal of the parts came from Jebediah's junk yard he is likely one of the only Kerbals who either dares or knows how to fly those things without them falling apart too much.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Guys, the resource system framework is bloody brilliant.

I just noticed that when I scanned for Ore on Minmus, it also showed me percentages for every fucking modded-in resource. Such as xenon, water, uraniate (or whatever it is called, near-future mod adds KSP Interstellar resource definitions). It even shows the pie chart for them and stuff. It is ridiculously easy to hook-up your own resource into the system, which I will no doubt use for Argon gas when Near Future propulsion gets upgraded (Jool/Laythe gas farming, oh yeah!).

This is fucking :incline:.

Now I just need to upgrade my R&D center to unlock the ISRU parts, only 2 million two go.

Also level 1 scientists provide a HUGE boost in research lab science generation. I swapped two level 0 scientists with one level 1 and one level 0 scientist. Daily science generation rate rose from 0.1 something to over 0.3. With two level 1 scientists it could probably reach 0.6 a day for a Mun orbital lab (Munar surface labs give even better output).

My Munar station now provides me with over half of the science I get, it just sits there while I do Duna and Eve probe missions and wait for transfer windows. Fed it enough data from two surface excursions to fill up the 500 data limit.

Data4

Arcane
I haven't played around with the 1.* science lab yet. Been doing science like before, I.e. go somewhere, grab science, and bring it back or transmit. As a result, my rate of science accumulation has been really slow. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it used to be that a thorough farming of the kerbin SO I plus one probe to Duna would max out the science tree. This has forced me to get more creative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom