Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Katawa Shoujo: I love you just the way you are...

Black

Arcane
Yeah. It's nice to see you again.

WHAT A SHAME LILLY CAN'T SAY THE SAME
AHAHAHAHAHA

Black

Arcane
And thus her saying that wouldn't really make sense.
Because she's blind.

Majestic47

Learned
black.jpg

:hug:

Archaeon

Scholar

Monoclebear

Educated
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, i just thought that this let's play/read is just too hilarious to not say something.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ED: RISE AND SHINE, BABY! THE BIG DAY IS HERE!

01.jpg

The next day, I wake up feeling a little lightheaded. It's almost noon already.
Sleeping late is fine, since it's a Sunday and there are no classes.
Not just a Sunday, though, but the festival as well.
From my window I can already see some people at the soba booth slinging noodles onto plates for people with a craving for low-quality food.
I throw back a handful of my morning meds and ponder how to spend the day.

ED: Yeah, as if it's going to be THAT complicated. LET'S GO ALREADY!

There will be a few exams in the coming week, but I don't consider those as ominous as others, so I'm not as worried about them as I probably should be.
With no urgent obligations regarding education, I should be free to spend the day at the festival as I like.

Finishing my morning routine, I exit into the hallway, intending to go out and find something to eat.

02.jpg

ED: NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm curious if he has any plans, since everyone is doing something.
Then again, I can picture him having built a soundproof shelter in his room.
Or possibly something like a fort, complete with "No Girls Allowed" sign.
And with the "Girls" crossed out and "body" crudely scrawled underneath it.

Knocking on his door which is luckily devoid of any kind of sign, I hear again the unsettling clicking of at least ten locks being pulled back. The door opens up a crack.

ken.jpg
Who is it?
me.jpg
You're supposed to ask that before you open the door.
ken.jpg
Oh, it's you. Damn, it's early.
me.jpg
It's not really that early.
ken.jpg
What is it, man?
me.jpg
Nothing, was just gonna ask what you're gonna do today.

ED: We will not accompany him. No matter what happens.

me.jpg
Half the school is out there already.
03.jpg

ED: ...shit.

me.jpg
What?
ken2.jpg
What what? Is today special? Why are they there? Who are?
ken.jpg
I can hear them. It's loud...don't tell me... Has the invasion begun?

He suddenly looks more alarmed.

ken.jpg
What day is it, man?
me.jpg
Yeah, I guess you can't see the big wooden booths outside, and people selling stuff...
ken.jpg
What the hell are you talking about? I have my curtains closed at all times to thwart the snipers.
me.jpg
Uhh, it's the festival. You knot that...right?
ken.jpg
Oh shit, that's today? Ah, damn. Ah...damn. Dammit.
ken.jpg
I can't believe I forgot, I don't have my fort finished yet. This is bad.
ken.jpg
This is going to be a very bad day... It's good you told me this, man. This is going to be a bad day.
me.jpg
Why?
ken.jpg
Oh man, they're going to be everywhere. The people. Outside my window. SOCIALIZING!

Kenji rubs his temples nervously, suddenly looking very ill.

ken.jpg
It's going to be loud as hell. Damn, and I was going to go out today, but now it's ruined, everything is ruined.
ken.jpg
This is awful. This sucks. This SUCKS!
ken.jpg
What the hell, this really sucks. I can't go anywhere now. There's nowhere to run.

ED: Then stay inside your room and don't come out.

Kenji seems nervous. You could even say he's majorly freaking out.

ken.jpg
I can't believe this. So that's what today was.
ken.jpg
Damn, and I couldn't even prepare for it.
ken.jpg
I couldn't even brace myself and now it's here and I can't do anything. You should have told me this earlier, dude. I mean, at least, I know, but...I could have known earlier! Imagine what I could have accomplished...
me.jpg
Sorry. I thought you knew.
me.jpg
So I guess you're not going to do anything today?

ED: Please say yes.

me.jpg
The weather is even good. Yesterday was really windy, so I thought today would be cold. It's not, though, so there's no reason to just stay inside. Yeah, you should check the festival out.

ED: Why are you even encouraging him?

Kenji groans and covers his face with his hands.

ken.jpg
Agh, no, no! I can't do it. They'll eat me alive out there, I know it.

That has to be a joke, but he said it with such a straight face. Relatively straight.

ken.jpg
What are you going to do? We should hang out in here, you can help me build my fort. We might still make it if we work together.

ED: No.

me.jpg
I don't know. I'm pretty hungry so I thought I'd get some food first and then check out the attractions.
me.jpg
Your class project seemed pretty cool, and I gave a hand with it so I want to see at least that one and chat with Lilly I guess.
04.jpg

05.jpg

ken2.jpg
That blind broad is up to no good; I can feel it in my spleen, man. Her presence is like a dark shadow that's in the way of my great vision.
ken2.jpg
As expected of blind people.
me.jpg
What.

ED: ...This guy's killing my update again. Fuck him.

me.jpg
Besides, I thought that you were also...

He holds his hand to interrupt me.

ken.jpg
Only legally.
ken.jpg
Metaphorically, I can see farther than any man before me has seen.

Kenji looks stoically into the metaphorical distance to emphasize his statement, thrusting his chin forward to look manlier. Actually it's just the corridor wall two metres away but it's all the same.

ken.jpg
I can see the future of mankind, and it's a dark one unless the threat of women is stifled.
ken.jpg
They are everywhere.

He fingers his scarf nervously, faster and faster like he's trying to start a fire, then slowly begins to calm down once the panic attack finishes running its course.

ken.jpg
I'm going to have to find some place to hide in, a safe haven. And then knock the lights out of myself so that I don't have to experience this horrible day.
ken.jpg
I have the perfect thing for that. I must prepare now.
ken.jpg
Don't go to the festival.

ED: Just say yes, and let him close the door.

me.jpg
Okay.
ken.jpg
Later, dude.

The door slowly closes with a low creak and I don't know how to feel about what Kenji just said.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now you all know why I compared Kenji to Cleve...
He built a bunker fort in his room.

Keep it up RK47, you won't have to see him again for the rest of the day ;)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You're right. I'm just a little bit unwell at the moment..let's finish this day!

06.jpg

I guess I shouldn't complain. It's better than nothing and didn't cost much.
As I look out towards the school, watching the people coming and going proves a surprisingly entertaining way of passing the time as I eat.

Little children accompanied by parents or grandparents scamper about in the din from event to event; one hand dragging their company and the other bearing an oversized, colorful snack.
I can't help but notice the age range among the people here is skewed towards the elderly, something that I'd also noticed when I was walking around town.
This must be one of those towns where the only people left are those that lived here their whole lives and ardently refuse to leave, and those wanting to live out the rest of their days in one of the increasingly few tranquil places.

I guess that also goes a way to explaining how conservative Yamaku's school culture seems to be.
Not that I mind one bit. I kind of like how calm Yamaku and it's surroundings are.
The heat, though, is another matter entirely. Sitting in one place for so long has focused my mind on how annoyingly humid it's getting, now that the hottest part of the day is here.

I'd better get moving if I-

*DING DONG*

Gah! The sound of the carillon bells takes me completely by surprise as I stand up, a reaction shared by a few of the people strolling around as well.

The PA system crackles to life after the tolling bells end. It's age shows as the principal makes a barely intelligible announcement over it, officially opening the festival that's very much in full swing.
It's quite amusing to contrast the pleasant smiles of the older folk against the alternatively pained and bored grimaces of their younger charges. The students, on the other hand, seem to pay it little heed.
Nevertheless, as the address finally ends, all are united in polite - if not overly enthusiastic - applause, and then get back to business.
Slipping a hand in my pocket to look as relaxed as possible, I casually glance around for something to do.
...It's somewhat difficult to see very far with all the people around.
I decide to fall back on a tried and trusted rule: go where everyone else seems to be gathering. Right now, that's the school courtyard and surroundings.
Throwing the used plate into a trash can, I make my way towards the school building.

Seeing the number of stalls around the perimeter of the school building surprises me. Quite a few of the classes must have opted to have multiple stalls.
In deciding which to visit first, I catch sight of a familiar banner with a blue patterned border and red text.
Lilly's stall is a good a place to start as any. I'm curious as to how it's going, after all the work she and her class have been doing for it.

ED: Oh stop the act already, there's not even a choice any more. Today, we follow the Golden Path.

07.jpg

Easily twice as wide as many of the other stalls and with equipment for cooking strewn everywhere, its' closer to an outdoor restaurant than a festival event.
As a student in front of me takes a bowl of noodles and leaves, I walk up to the counter.
The girl behind it seems quite exasperated, and asks me to wait a moment before she disappears underneath the counter.
Seizing the moment, I take a quick glance around.
Steam seems to be rising from everywhere, as pots and pans simmer away. The most blind of the students are unpacking ingredients while being helped by someone who is probably the teacher of 3-2.
It doesn't take long to notice Lilly among them, talking with the teacher as she quickly counts out the boxes and packets with her fingers.
From her expression and the fact that both she and the teacher seem to be in a state of mild confusion, it appears that there's been some problem in coordination.
Before I can stare any longer, the girl behind the counter pops up again, only to look back and ask where the spare change box is.

Lilly pauses for a moment, before she and the girl switch places at the counter and the teacher quickly walks off somewhere.

08.jpg

ED: Can I have you? :smug:

It takes me a second to remember what I'd come here for. My eyes quickly dart to the side to read the menu sitting on the counter.

me.jpg
Oh, uh, I guess some...miso soup?

ED: Goddamn, I hate miso soup! It's got that strong, salty taste...not many restaurants get it right, but I do recall some fond moments in college where I survive with instant noodle and miso paste for a week.

lilly.jpg
Ah, is that Hisao?
me.jpg
Yep. Looks like you're pretty busy.

ED: Too bad she can't LOOK. GYAHAHAHAH!

Her face all but confirms it as she drops her waitress facade.

lilly-sad.jpg
Somewhere along the line, our order got mixed up. We're trying to fix it now, but it looks like we only have half of what we needed.
me.jpg
Wouldn't serving smaller portions cover over the problem?
lilly.jpg
It seems like that's what we'll have to do, though I wish we didn't. The fact that a good half of our class is gone doesn't help, either.

ED: Gone? Where? Kenji?

I glance behind her to see how many people are actually operating the stall.
It couldn't be over about eight.

me.jpg
I take it that's why your teacher left?
lilly.jpg
That's right. She's going to try and round up a few more of our classmates to help.

Hearing the sound of footsteps behind me, I stealthily glance backwards to see an elderly couple taking a place in the line. I guess I'd better stop loitering around.

me.jpg
Here's the money for the soup.
lilly.jpg
Soup...oh, right, coming right up.

Lilly turns and calls for a bowl of miso soup as I hand over the money for it.
Taking the coins in her palm, I can't help but notice how efficiently she counts them out with her long, pale fingers. Eventually satisfied that I've handed over correct change, she puts it into a small metal tray.
It isn't long before the soup is made and carefully handed to her, after which she turns and subsequently passes it to me.

me.jpg
Thanks. I'll come back to drop off the bowl.

ED: What a strange stall. It's highly recommended to use disposable bowls and cups for this sort of venture. Especially since most of the stall operators will be blind. If the consumers don't return the containers, what then? Also, handling hot soup and food for the blind? Errr....why not just make ice syrup or something? Safer and sells quicker.

lilly.jpg
Thank you, Hisao. Oh, there is one other thing. Have you seen Hanako?
me.jpg
Hanako...no, not today. Why?

She gives a small sigh of abject disappointment.

lilly.jpg
It's okay. I was just wondering what she was doing for the festival.

ED: Duh...we're in the same class and we don't even know what stall are we having..

lilly.jpg
You'll come back when you're done, then?

ED: Of course!

me.jpg
Sure. I'll keep an eye out for Hanako, too.
lilly-smile.jpg
Thank you, Hisao.

ED: Quest added: Find Hanako.

I walk off from the stall and find a seat, carefully cradling the steaming wooden bowl in both hands.
Compared to the dumplings from before, this is quite nice. A little cool compared to what it probably should be, perhaps, but the flavor is enough to cover for that reasonably well.

ED: I never known anyone who ordered a plain miso soup.

As I drink it, I can't help but feel somewhat guilty for not being as involved in the festival as the others.
It can't really be helped, considering I was dropped into the school only a week ago, but it still weights heavily on my mind.
That, and the fact that a few students don't really seem to be enjoying the festival as much as the visitors.
Eventually I finish my bowl and leave for the stall, to drop it off.
Considering that there seems to be no line at all, I take my time walking up.
It seems the teacher's mission paid off: there are now over a dozen students helping, and much of the unpacking has been done.
Despite most of them seeming quite relaxed as they work, Lilly still appears to be somewhat stressed.

ED: Let's help her out then.

09.jpg

ED: Not even a choice. We're really on cruise mode.

As I place the bowl on the counter, I call out to Lilly.

lilly.jpg
Ah, Hisao. You brought it back?
me.jpg
Yeah, here.

I slide it into her hands, and she takes it over to someone who is apparently on cleaning duty. Considering that I didn't see them here before, it's probably a penalty for their tardiness.

me.jpg
Hey, Lilly?

She perks up and returns to the counter as she hears my voice again, realizing that I'm still here.

me.jpg
Want to go see some more of the festival?

ED: But...but...she can't *SEE*.
no.png

She puffs up her cheeks disapprovingly. IT looks kind of cute, and in complete contradiction to her usually reserved nature.
It takes a few seconds for me to get what she's taking issue with. Whoops.

me.jpg
Ah...um, I didn't mean to...

Lilly giggles at me, exposing her teasing for what it is.

lilly-smile.jpg
You're still not used to the school, are you?

She got me.

lilly-sad.jpg
Still...I kind of need to stay with our stall. It's taken until now to even get everything unpacked.

I guess her reluctance shouldn't overly surprise me, considering how much work she's put into this.

me.jpg
Everything seems to be running fine now, though. Besides, you'got extra help on hand, anyway.

A boy in the middle of cooking some soba noodles turns towards us, grinning.

ED: Come on, BRO. Help a fellow BRO...

10.jpg

ED: Yeah!

lilly-smile.jpg
If you say it's okay, then I suppose so...
lilly.jpg
But, if you need any help-

"Then we'll call you. Go on, we'll be fine," the student assured her.

Lilly finally gives up her resistance as he waves a spatula at her. She feels her way around the back of the stall, and picks up her cane on the way.
I guess the first thing we should do is look for Hanako. Lilly seems kind of worried about her, and I doubt she'd be the kind of person to enjoy milling about in crowds like this, all alone.

me.jpg
So, I guess we should search for Hanako. Where to, first?
lilly.jpg
Hmm...

The both of us go quiet for a moment to think.

me.jpg
Maybe she's in her dorm room?
lilly.jpg
I doubt it. She doesn't keep too many things in there, so she'd have nothing to do.
lilly-smile.jpg
Ah! The library?

As good a place as any to search for an avid reader, I suppose.

me.jpg
The library it is. We'll check there first, then.

Aside from the muffled sounds of the crowd seeping in from outside, the inside of the school seems almost deserted.

11.jpg

lilly.jpg
It's nice and quiet in here, isn't it?
me.jpg
Yeah. Much nicer than the hustle and bustle outside.

We take our time and slowly walk through the first floor of the school, eventually reaching the stairs to the second floor.
I can't help but notice how Lilly anticipates every door and obstacle, her cane remaining still and her hand skating along the hallway railings.

me.jpg
You really know the school well, don't you?

She smiles and nods straight ahead.

lilly.jpg
I've been here for a few years now, so I know where everything is.
lilly.jpg
The dorms still trip me up though, sometimes. I haven't been there as long, and they're not as well laid-out as the main building.
lilly.jpg
If I'm remembering right, they used to be unused buildings before being renovated and used as dormitories.

That explains why the male and female dorms looked different from the outside, and why their rooms seem kind of unusual for sleeping quarters.
I'd assumed she'd been living in the dormitories since she began attending the school, but not I'm reminded of what she said yesterday.

me.jpg
That's right, you mentioned that before.
me.jpg
I'd assumed that most of the students here lived in the dormitories once they enrolled. A lot of them seem to, in any case.

Lilly's expression becomes somewhat harder to read, my questioning evidently touching on a delicate point.

lilly-sad.jpg
Well...how should I say...
lilly.jpg
Everyone...has their reasons.

ED: I don't quite get it. What is she hiding?

Something tells me that one of those with "reasons" is Hanako, hence her tiptoeing around the answer. My own predicament is yet another such case.

ED: Oh..

I guess it's a choice everyone here would have to make for themselves...or, in my instance, have made for them.

me.jpg
It can't be helped, I suppose. At least Yamaku itself seems like a nice place.
lilly.jpg
It's good to hear you say that. I'd thought you were coming to dislike it.

ED: Well, as long we stay away from two to four psychos and stick with you, I think we'll love this place.

me.jpg
What about you, though?

My reversal of Lilly's statement takes her by surprise.

lilly.jpg
I've been here for a while, so...
me.jpg
It's not that. You just seemed pretty depressed about Akira.
lilly-smile.jpg
Hmm~
me.jpg
What's with that look?
lilly.jpg
Akira's taken. Sorry, Hisao.

ED: What?

Lilly never sees how fast my palm meets my face at her sly accusation.

me.jpg
Hey, I was worried about you. That's no way to respond to concern.

While she gives an amused grin, we round the corner of the hallway and enter the library.
As we do so, it isn't hard to spot Hanako, considering that the room is completely devoid of anyone else.

12.jpg

me.jpg
Hey, Hanako.
lilly.jpg
Hanako is here?

As she hears our voices, Hanako's head flicks up from behind a book, probably the same one she'd been reading on Friday.

han.jpg
Hisao...Lilly?

ED: OK. Quest complete. Let's raid.

me.jpg
Just though we'd drop by. Lilly just managed to escape from the noodle stall, with a little help.
lilly.jpg
That wasn't really an escape...

Hanako gives a small giggle, briefly surprising both of us.

han.jpg
I just thought that...Lilly might not be enjoying the festival.
me.jpg
Well, now we can enjoy it together, right?

ED: Well put, Dovahkiin.

13.jpg

Later...
14.jpg

Come to think of it, I probably should have asked for help instead of leaving those two in the gardens while I bought drinks.

ED: Regretting your macho-man instincts?

Trying to juggle the two cups of hot tea (for them) and a can of coffee (for myself, out of a vending machine) isn't exactly easy.

ED: Just stuff the can in your pocket, FFS.

With some careful maneuvering, though, I manage to keep everything stable and upright as I walk over to the bench where Lilly and Hanako are sitting and chatting.
It's actually quite a nice place. Lit only by the moonlight, it's tucked away some distance from the main events.
Compared to how hot it had been during the day, this spot is also pleasantly cool by now.
Not that it matters all that much. Most of the visitors have moved to areas that are either closer to the fireworks, or higher on the hill in order to view the display.

15.jpg

Her ears are good. I'm not exactly close and even Hanako hadn't noticed me.

me.jpg
Here you go. Sorry it's instant, but that's all they had left by now.

Hanako gingerly takes a cup from my right hand, and I gently place the other into Lilly's outstretched hands.

lilly-smile.jpg
Did you enjoy the festival then, Hisao?

ED: ...Uhhh...I guess I enjoyed the company.

me.jpg
Yeah, it was pretty fun.

An honest answer. Much of the food may have been somewhat subpar, but it was a lot of fun in the end, especially with Hanako and Lilly.
In fact, I think those two may have enjoyed themselves even more than I did. With both Lilly and I around, much of Hanako's withdrawn nature around others died down enough for her to enjoy herself.

16.jpg

Enthusiastic shouts can be heard from the crowds scattered around the school grounds celebrating them.
For minutes on end, Hanako and I watch the fireworks overhead as Lilly blissfully listens to them with her eyes shut.

ED: :( I'm sorry, Kreia.

Red, green, yellow, star-shaped, circular and patterned, and all manner of shapes and colors fill the air, one after the other, and dance across the sky.

No place near where I lived put on such lavish displays. Festivals like this were a thing of the past in such a metropolitan area.

17.jpg

ED: AHEM. He meant the *OTHER* two. :?

18.jpg

me.jpg
Yeah.

She gives a delicate, wistful sigh.

ED: Running out of time, Hisao...you might not get a good chance. I know Hanako's around...but...

lilly-sad.jpg
As much as I might complain about all the stuff we have to do, it's still sad that we'll have graduated before the next Yamaku festival.

I walk forward and stand beside Lilly, gently resting a hand on her shoulder.

ED: Good.

me.jpg
Don't worry. We still have Tanabata later in the year, right?

ED: Uhh...I believe that's New Year's Eve in Japan?

lilly-smile.jpg
You're right. It would be nice to go there when it comes.

Minutes of silence pass, with only blasts of the fireworks to be heard.
Seeing these two reminds me of those words of advice Lilly had given me as we walked into town together.

"Cherish the opportunity to make new friends", huh?

ED: C'mon...time's ticking. :mad:

me.jpg
Hey, Lilly?

She turns her head slightly to show that she's listening, Hanako's gaze still firmly fixed on the technicolor fireworks bursting overhead.

ED: Good. Pretend the latter's not around.

me.jpg
You mind if I join you two for tea every now and again?

ED: Oh, well.... :oops:

The smile on her face is more than enough to see her answer.

19.jpg

ED: It'll do. :hug:

20.jpg

Music: Journey Through the Decade

21.jpg

ED: War, war never changes.

22.jpg

ED: Despite hating his weakness, Dovahkiin overcame self-loathing and despair.

23.jpg

ED: Companionship in form of the Radiant Blindness, took away the ache and gave hope.

24.jpg

ED: His dragon now soars through the crystal blue skies. Free and unrestrained.

25.jpg

ED: Weeks passed, others knew and approved.

26.jpg

ED: They were an item.

27.jpg

ED: Both imperfect, yet complement each other.

28.jpg

ED: Nothing more needs to be said, really.

29.jpg

ED: Is there?

30.jpg

ED: Ah...

31.jpg

ED: I...

32.jpg

ED: I love you.

33.jpg

cry.png

Monoclebear

Educated
Wait, wait, WAIT does that mean you want to stop now or are you mocking us because we can not provide our own entertainment?

bandaid

Educated
Congratulations on making it to the end. Game is really long, so I'm kinda surprised you made it through.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Congratulations on making it to the end. Game is really long, so I'm kinda surprised you made it through.
You silly goose, that's just the end of the first act, there's 3 more to go.

I'm expecting great things RK47-chan, whenever you're ready.

lightbane

Arcane
Obvious fake ending is obvious. Why so much love for that Kamen Ride thing? Besides there-wait a minute...

A new member? Called monoclebear?

14579.jpg
:troll:

10295.jpg
Oh shit!!

gray-here-comes-a-new-challenger-women-s-t-shirts_design.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom