Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Katawa Shoujo: I love you just the way you are...

Random

Arcane
Patron
:lol: Hisao is such a complete moron...

corvus

Arcane
Last update convinced me this is one of my favorite LP's, :salute: RK-bro.

Monoclebear

Educated
Well, this scene with Lilly pretty much always breaks my brain for a couple of seconds, because of hotness.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Music: On that day...

01.jpg

Breathing wildly, I frantically scrape at the ribbon over my eyes as I lay on my back. I have to get this off, I have to get this off..

02.jpg

For a moment, everything goes blank. As the rush of the new-found light assaults my eyes, my breathing slows from the brink of hyperventilation.

03.jpg

Seconds pass, and I carefully measure out the rhythm of my heartbeats with every ounce of concentration I can muster.

My heart is ... normal. It's back to normal.

My body feels utterly bizarre as I lay dazed on the floor looking at the ceiling. The adrenaline from before is still pouring through my veins, but my mind is completely exhausted.

I prop myself up as I hear Lilly getting off the bed and coming towards me.

04.jpg

me.jpg
I'm fine, Lilly. I'm... fine.

ED: I think...the biggest problem here is that Hisao continues to lie and lie and lie and lie about his condition. Or is it really not a lie? Is it because Lilly's blind, and that's why it's very difficult for Lilly to understand his situation? But how can she not realize that he nearly killed himself? That cry of pain, irregular breathing and if I'm not wrong, she can sense heartbeats. Truly mind-boggling.

She gives a sigh of relief, her worried expression collapsing.
Her face afterwards is the very last I'd ever wanted to see from her. It's a face I'd detested when I first saw my parents in the hospital all those months ago.

05.jpg

Pity. Lilly... pities me.

06.jpg

I just close my eyes and turn away, powerless. I feel like throwing up.
I can hear the sound of Lilly moving away and quickly attending to herself, the ruffling of her clothing being pulled back on after a moment of searching just barely audible.

me.jpg
Sorry...

Moments later...

07.jpg

She slowly shakes her head as she finshes buttoning up her top. Her kind smile looks so fragile, so delicate, that it makes my heart sink.

Approaching me carefully, she feels out the edge of the low table before taking a seat next to me, putting her arms around my chest.

08.jpg

ED: It's not your fault he pushed himself, Lilly..

me.jpg
You don't need to apologize. I'd normally be fine, you've seen that much before.
me.jpg
I guess I shouldn't have tried to push myself so far.

My eyelids feel heavy. Calmly sitting next to her like this is probably letting the adrenaline work itself out of my system, and letting my mind relax.

lilly.jpg
So that's... why you never took the lead...?
me.jpg
Yeah. I guess it's a good thing you like to, huh?

ED: This is kinda sad. :lol:

The joke seems to lighten her expression a little, a fact which helps let me feel less unease about my unreliable self.

Lilly's head comes to rest on my shoulder as I struggle to keep my eyes open, with more difficulty after each blink. I feel completely drained.

ED: This so not the hottest pillow talk ever.

lilly.jpg
It's okay, Hisao. It's all okay.

ED: No it's not...

No sooner does she say this then a small, quiet tune escapes her lips. Entirely too tired to think, all I can do is listen to her soft humming.

It's a soft, almost melancholic tune. It sounds familiar, but the more I try to remember its origin the less I seem able to concentrate.

The feeling and scent of her head gently resting on my shoulder and her warm body against my side are soothing. The soft humming of her voice, too, relaxes as my mind as much as her warmth relaxes my muscles.

The singular, quiet moment... after all this fracas, it makes me realize just how exhausted I've become. I can feel my eyelids slowly becoming heavier and heavier.

Even with the chaos of before, I wish this moment would last forever.

Lilly and I together, sharing a single, solitary occasion together, just as we used to.

09.jpg

ED: I think I know why, Hisao...it's because...

05.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
ED: I think...the biggest problem here is that Hisao continues to lie and lie and lie and lie about his condition. Or is it really not a lie? Is it because Lilly's blind, and that's why it's very difficult for Lilly to understand his situation? But how can she not realize that he nearly killed himself? That cry of pain, irregular breathing and if I'm not wrong, she can sense heartbeats. Truly mind-boggling.

Pity. Lilly... pities me.

It must be a japanese thing, some people really hate to be pitied, nevermind they may be bleeding to death, having lost everything and everyone once they loved, etc. Being pitied is really the worst that can happen to these characters. In any case, why the fuck isn't Hisao dead yet??

Random

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, I sure hate to be pitied. Though I don't have some kind of sixth sense that allows me to tell if someone's pitying me just from the look on their face.

RK47

Patron
The next day...

*BAM*

The loud clatter of books falling into the return slot abruptly breaks the grip of silence over the school library. It's become a habit for me to come to the library at least once a week. Not only does the reading itself keep me busy, but discussing books with Hanako and Lilly also does. Obviously startled, Yuuko suddenly twists towards the direction of the noise, I'd have thought her used to people dropping books by now, since she does work here.

01.jpg

It takes me a moment to respond, my mind still distracted by the familiar melody of Lilly's humming that's hardly left my ears in the several days it's been since I fell asleep to it.

me.jpg
Hmm? Oh, yeah. Just returning some books I borrowed.

She casts her eyes downwards, presumably to the bin the books dropped into.

yuuko.jpg
You're a very heavy reader, aren't you?
me.jpg
It's become a bit of a routine now. Passes the time, at least.
yuuko.jpg
I wish I had free time to pass...

From small talks to depression in less than five seconds. I think that's a new record for her. She seems a bit down in general today, even compared to normal. Considering she has to work two jobs just to support herself, I could see how that would take a toll on her lifestyle. Come to think of it, the pay for her job here can't be all that bad. The idea of staff in such a prestigious private school going hungry strikes me as counter-intuitive.

me.jpg
Working two jobs must take a lot of time. I'd probably never manage it.
yuuko.jpg
You're lucky, being a student. Do you think you'll be able to go to university?

If she's asking, then I guess that's the expected result of having this kind of education. Private schools like this don't exactly come cheap.

me.jpg
I... guess. I have the money. I think.
me.jpg
I've got plans which will require going to one, and my marks are good enough. It's more a matter of how I'll pay to do so.
yuuko.jpg
University costs so much that I'm having to work two jobs to afford to enter it... paying for daily expenses too makes it a lot harder.
yuuko.jpg
If you're reading this much though, that means you're doing well in school, right?

Interesting logical jump. Not an altogether wrong one, though.

ED: Hey, this is just small talk, right? Come on, let's just...move on?

me.jpg
I suppose so. I didn't find any of the exams very hard, aside from maybe one or two.

ED: Show off.

me.jpg
Do you mind if I ask what studies you're pursuing in university?

Yuuko appears to genuinely brighten at the question.

yuuko.jpg
Anthropology. To be specific, I'm specializing in the history of classical era Athenian civilization and democracy.

ED: Well... uhh... that's...nice.

She really seems to know her stuff. Such enthusiasm is to be admired, and it's nice to see her genuinely excited about something. I guess even somebody like Yuuko can be happy if she has a visible road ahead of her.

*RINNNNNG*

Both of us jump at the sudden interruption coming from my pocket.

ED: Silent mode in library asshole.

Apologizing profusely and quickly shuffling into the hallways as I fumble with the cover of my mobile phone, I glance at the screen. ...Weird. It's a mobile number I don't recognize. Considering I can count the number of people with my number on one hand, I briefly wonder whether it's some telemarketer that lucked out.

me.jpg
Hello, Hisao Nakai speaking.

"Geez, pick up faster next time. Anyway, guess who?" the unknown voice says from other side.

It only takes me a second to recognize the distinctively deep, brusque voice.

me.jpg
Hey, Misha. Didn't expect you to call me.
akira-smile.jpg
Huh!? Ya actually think I sound like her?
me.jpg
Not at all, Akira. I don't remember giving you my number though, so I thought I'd mess with you.
akira-smile.jpg
Oh, that? I got Lilly to give it to me. Not hard.

She positively brims with pride at the statement. She's trying to get me caught up in her pace, I know it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the two would share my number though, given how close they are.

me.jpg
So, what's up?
akira.jpg
You free right now?
me.jpg
I... guess? Why?
akira.jpg
Could you meet me at the park in town? I just want to talk to you about some stuff.

ED: Hmmmm.

me.jpg
Is that an invitation to a date?
akira.jpg
What? Of course not...

She sounds suddenly crestfallen, her previous teasing nature having instantaneously left. It seems strange for her.

ED: Uh oh.

me.jpg
Anyway, I don't see why not. When do you want to meet?
akira.jpg
Kinda...now-ish.
me.jpg
Wait, right now? But it's-

ED: 7.50 AM. Time for me to go to work.

The dead silence suddenly coming from the phone announces the fact that she has unceremoniously hung up. For a long time I just stand there, staring at the "CALL ENDED" message on the screen while replaying the conversation in my head.

me.jpg
What the hell, Akira?

ED: What could it be? We'll find out tonight, for now, I gotta go work!

RK47

Patron
This seems to belong more in Best thread ever, but here goes:

Katawa Shoujo to be part of Conference Papers
By Prof. Coyote

My username doesn't lie: I am indeed a college professor at a small college in the southern U.S. I initially heard about KS through KnowYourMeme.com, which had a very popular submission about the game shortly after the full version was released. Out of curiosity, I downloaded and played.

I'm a writing professor, so what first drew me in about the experience was how well the game was written and plotted; every possibility accounted for, very much like some of the best traditional print novelists.

So, after playing the whole game, I've come to the conclusion ... and development team, feel free to feel flattered ... that this game deserves academic study, not only for the way it's written but also for the reactions it's triggered in its players. I've never seen a game, visual novel, or any sort of computer entertainment media which had the effect of making its players want to be better people.

So here's what I'm doing: I'm preparing to write a conference paper, to keep on file in case a preferable conference comes up to present it (most likely a conference about popular culture, Internet subculture, or modern psychology). I'm thinking of approaching the paper from a psychological view, that the game can be used to teach elements of empathy to people who may be lacking in it.

:hmmm: Katawa Shoujou: Cure for Aspies

corvus

Arcane
What a fag.

Actually, I'm gonna reread it again with the thought of Hisao having undiagnosed social/mental disorders firmly on my mind. It'll just make so much sense.

Random

Arcane
Patron
:rage:

You gotta be fucking kidding me. What kind of self-respecting college professor would call that writing on par with traditional print?

And how could this game improve somebody's empathy? For Christ's sake, just because the girls have MAJESTIC backstories and are handicapped, this game must have extra literary merit! They are definitely not the exact same types of women you'd find in any VN ever before! The handicaps are definitely not some kind of gimmick!

Oh, I mad.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
This seems to belong more in Best thread ever, but here goes:

Katawa Shoujo to be part of Conference Papers
By Prof. Coyote

Between this and the 'You saved my crazy GF from killing herself' thread, that forum seems like an untapped gold mine of Best Thread Ever. I kind of like keeping it in this thread though, so that as you LP the game, we can view the insanity and passion it produces in those who aren't prestigious enough to see its serious flaws.

I find it troubling that a writing professor at any university, no matter how small and no-name, could consider this on par with the best novelists.

However, I find it much more troubling that a writing professor thinks he is at all qualified to write a psychology-focused paper for an academic conference.

Edit: "8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?" <- That one produces some serious :lol:

It is apparently true that he's a professor: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5462&start=30#p77907

corvus

Arcane
6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.

In the wheat fields, when Lilly says, "I love you, Hisao. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you!", then continues with, "Don't go away, I beg of you. Never, ever go away. I love you, so please...!"

:hmmm:

Empathy lesson #1:

nmI5O.jpg

RK47

Patron
I find that particular part disgustingly stupid. I laughed outloud at that moment. It wasn't a reaction that the writer's wanted, obviously. Couple that with the sex scene. I just felt the whole Hokkaido is a big giant wtf moment for me.

corvus

Arcane
I think the people who consider it the best writing the VN has to offer are Biodrones. It has the sappy soap opera contrivance and "TWU WUV" overtones they love. The ending is almost just as stupid as the Hokkaido detour (AND I CANNOT WAIT OH GOD SPOILERS)

1. Which girl's thread affected you the most emotionally? Why did it do this?

Lilly's thread affected me the most emotionally because the story centered around togetherness even as the characters face an uncertain time their lives. Hisao and Lilly are hesitant to fully rely on one another, but they must overcome their inadequacies to be together as they desire. Togetherness and emotional support are very important to me, and I wouldn't be who I am without the kindness and acceptance of those I love.

haha what. More like Hisao overcoming his raging autism and just telling his lover he can die from a few minutes of sex.

Kz3r0

Arcane
ITT we discover that sodomizing an amputee is an act of empathy.
J3QEd.jpg

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
You know what's an act of empathy? directing me to the sickest shit in the game posted here so far

Kz3r0

Arcane
Man, you don't know what are you asking for, RK47 lost his mind in enduring such depravity.

RK47

Patron
ITT we discover that sodomizing an amputee is an act of empathy.

I gently bring my brotherly fist up to her anus, taking care not to twist it too hard, her warmth envelopes me.

"Aaaa..annnnhh-" she whimpered.

"....t-that's two." I whispered to her ear, sweating profusely at this taboo act, "...about five more to go.."

"I KNEW THAT! NGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You gotta be fucking kidding me. What kind of self-respecting college professor would call that writing on par with traditional print?

A typical professor of sociology and/or English literature, really :troll:

Why even bring the 'self-respecting' into the equation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom