Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just reinstalled Morrowind, entered it as vanilla, and puked

Heresiarch

Prophet
As soon as I noticed the max resolution I can get is 1280*1080 I was sure things won't go well. Right from the moment I saw the blurry starting menu I felt my stomach move. And when I saw Jiub and the other NPC at the start with their low-textured, low-polygoned, lifeless faces I almost fell off my chair laughing. When I picked up the letter of release and saw all the blurriness I knew I can't go on without my eyes exploding. And when I jumped and landed and I heard the super heavy "THUMB" sound I facepalmed as I know I need to find sound mods to fix the sounds too.

Can't believe after 3 years of not playing it the game can suddenly turn me off so much. Heck, I've just re-finished Deus Ex a few months ago but its graphics was great, perhaps thanks to its native support for high-resolution, and the character models of it were much better.

So please recommend some mods:
1. Any high-resolution tweaks? Maybe even widescreen support?
2. Best high-resolution texture packs?
3. Any mods to replace the blurry menus/dialogue text/book fonts?
4. Any good sound mods?
5. Any ESSENTIAL mods/patches/fixes? My memories are coming back and apparently there were FUCKTONS of them even a few years ago, I can't imagine how many there are now. I remember these: unofficial Morrowind patch, MGE, official plugins, cliff racer patch, etc etc etc...

TripJack

Hedonist
55fiqg.jpg

whats the problem it looks fine to me go back to your papamole nextgen shit

and google is your friend

Satan

Educated
fucking graphic whores, this is because of them why we can't have nice things

hanssolo

Educated
1/5

you've managed to combine two of the most shitboring and overposted threads the Codex has to offer. Should have dropped a mention of the game not really being an RPG due to (insert reason) and made it a hat-trick.

Anyway, get MGE for higher res and keep distant land disabled (or ignore atmosphere and visual design and play the game for it's visceral combat and reactive c&c with as many illfitting photo-composite textures as you please). Someone will link to that mod pack that turns everything into super-saturated pine tree fantasyland sooner or later and you'll just download that, so enjoy your new bishōnen Jiub.

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Replaying Morrowind for pretty graphics sounds pretty weird, like watching a 20's movie and expecting an intricate plot or acting. I can see someone doing it for nostalgia, if anything.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Nah, I don't want that Morrowind 2011 candy land stuff. It's just looking for all those essential morrowind mods to fix the game to ease my eyes after all the bloom and HDR in the recent years is pretty tedious.

I'm actually messing with Daggerfall recently - planning to finish its MQ one day - and DF is actually much more easing to the eye.

hanssolo

Educated
Rpgsaurus said:
sounds pretty weird, like watching a 20's movie and expecting an intricate plot or acting.

Opinions like this should be verboten on this forum. Get out of here, sound-fag.

Marobug

Stinger said:
And yet it still looks better than Oblivion.
wat

55fiqg.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20061010103346385.jpg

Explain yourself.
And don't come with the "the art direction is better" or "too much bloom" bullshit. The art direction is very similar not to say the same and you can disable bloom.

attackfighter

Magister
Marobug said:
Explain yourself.
And don't come with the "the art direction is better" or "too much bloom" bullshit. The art direction is very similar not to say the same and you can disable bloom.

The NPCs in Oblivion have perhaps the worst faces ever designed, textures only load if they're 10 feet in front of you otherwise everything is textureless green/brown/gray playdough, the night sky has less going on than in Morrowind and in general everything has this lifeless quality that contributes to the feeling that you're levitating around hitting weightless dolls with nerf bats.

Even Morrowind's Hand-to-hand skill is governed by a brofist, bro. A game doesn't get any more bro than that.
hk9bE.jpg

Also, art direction was better in MW than Ob, bloom or no bloom. Faces weren't as uncanny valley and the environment was more distinct and varied. Techno-baubles mean nothing when one can make nothing of interest with them.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Shit why must you guys compare MW to fucking OB? All I want is my beloved Rin's Beauty Shop:

1144918755_fullres.jpg

Although I must admit the heads above omitting the Dunmer voices brings some very hideous feeling.

Stinger

Arcane
Marobug said:
Stinger said:
And yet it still looks better than Oblivion.
wat

Explain yourself.

What baronjohn and attackfighter said.

The NPCs in Oblivion might have more polys but they look ugly as fuck, I've noticed that your screenshot has a helmet conveniently concealing that horribad face.

Environment-wise Morrowind has a better aesthetic (hey, I didn't say art direction!), by which I mean everything looks prettier cause it has this weird, alien and interesting look to it. Oblivion's environments might have more polys and more detailed textures but it's just a shitty generic medieval fantasy aesthetic instead.

Disconnected

Scholar
Stinger said:
The NPCs in Oblivion might have more polys but they look ugly as fuck, I've noticed that your screenshot has a helmet conveniently concealing that horribad face.

Vanilla, the faces are equally fugly, but otherwise Oblivion's are much, much better looking. Include mods and Morrowind's playable races suddenly looks a whole hell of a lot better than Oblivion's.

Environment-wise Morrowind has a better aesthetic (hey, I didn't say art direction!)

Uhm... "The fatty portion of milk, separated as a soft whitish or yellowish solid when milk or cream is agitated or churned - hey, I didn't say butter!" :P

I hated faces in Morrowind too, used the "Changing Faces" mod that gives every NPC unique pretty mug. Also I used "Ultimate Textures" pack that would make a lot of people rage because it doesn't really stay true to vanilla textures but I don't give a shit. And "MGE" of course, for resolutions and fake HDR effect that suits the atmosphere of the game pretty good, no distant land though because I hated how it looks, would rather have fog.
With these mods it surely looks better than Oblivion, but vanilla.. not so much.

Gord

Arcane
Morrowind NPCs are fugly and even worse then the bloated face syndrome so prevalent in Oblivion.

The only thing they have going for them is that I can accept them being somewhat stylized, but I can understand everyone who wants to change them.

Art direction-wise however Morrowind wins hands down, imho, as it succeeded in creating a unique and interesting fantasy world, while Oblivion, although having prettier environments ended up looking generic and uninspired.

However, OP lost much of my respect at this point:

All I want is my beloved Rin's Beauty Shop:

:M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Morrowind Overhaul is just an MGEe program which by itself weights almost nothing and reworks game in a more progy way (like removing line of sight restriction) with HBs of mods chosen by their team. Not every mod is really good and some can lag your system or crash the game. The best way to create an ideal Morrowind experience for yourself is to install MGE, and then carefully choose the textures and models you would like to change. I have around 50 mods graphics only.

Heresiarch

Prophet
OMG I GOT ALL THE NECESSARY MODS NOW, I AM FAPPING FURIOUSLY TO IT HAHA

MGEScreenshot1.jpg

MGEScreenshot2.jpg

GONNA FIND SEX MODS TO HAVE MORE FUN

Seriously, I think I should disable MGE's distant land, as I've found that with distant land enabled it makes the simpleness of the landscape more glaring. And since the world of Morrowind is already pretty small, with the fog removed it feels even worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom