Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just hack the files and forget about it.

spectre

Arcane
Cheat until the game is no longer fun for you is a particularly newbiesh fault. Long time 'cheaters' know that the purpose of cheat is to eliminate boring stuffs without reducing the fun factor, or you are cheating the wrong way.

I know I've been guilty of that back when Doom 1&2 was the big thing. In retrospect, it was pretty fricken lame, cause iddqd and idkfa basically sucked all the fun out of the game, which, in retrospect, wasn't all THAT challenging (I'm talking Hurt me Plenty diff, if I could handle that, basically anybody should be able to play this through on I'm too young to die ).

I can root for guys who cheat to eliminate tedium, I've done this a few times myself (last time was when I used the instant travel in Mount and Blade to save some time gathering a NPC team I wanted), although if you rely on it too much, I guess you should ask yourself a question, isn't there anything else you'd rather be doing.

Personally, I always feel a little guilty when I cheat, it's like admitting before yourself that you cannot handle a silly little game by yourself (and if you can't, again, maybe there's something else you'd rather be doing), so to lessen this pang of conscience, I usually limit myself to either skipping stuff I had already done, give myself stuff I had already obtained (during a previous playthrough or whatnot), or just input values I think I could get realistically with osme patience. Its not an exact science, but what do you know, if you cross the fine line, cheating kills the joy.

laclongquan

Arcane
One tactic I think game devs should adopt to discourage reloadscum is attach the number of times you do the save to the savegame. Like Sengoku Rance. You have unlimited save games but each time you save it write down that number and show you when you reload. Make me feel guilty right off.

DraQ

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Rolling for stats is retarded, but I never cheat in games.
Rolling for stats isn't that bad provided you don't get to reallocate the points (this makes it turn into rolling for point pool instead) and that the game doesn't screw you over if you don't focus on particular stats for given character type.

I never played a game hard enough that I needed near perfect stats to succeed and tbh I'm not very anal about them, so I can't relate. If the game wants me to roll, I just do it until I get non-pitiful results in the stats I want to use ("Let's hope for a Warrior with 20 STR and INT...15 STR and 5 INT? Eh, that'll do")

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I see your point, mondblut. My idea was primarily two of the late Wizardry games, which are level-scaled, so have only easy encounters for a long time.

But yeah, Wizardrys, a series that we all know is very imperfect.

My problem is that I rarely ever get into a pre-1990 game, while post-1990 games up till modern times tend to have some nonsense that I don't like - in between some brilliant encounters, situations, and dungeons.

It's time I got to playing the 80s stuff, but damn, are some of them difficult to set up and get running in this day and age.

mondblut

Arcane
Wut? You must have played some other Wizardry 7 than me. Try going to wilderness beyond New City on level 1, and you'll get instantly torn to shreds. No level scaling there, none at all.

Okay, perhaps the number of mobs per encounter tends to scale somewhat on the average, just like it does with difficulty level. Still, dismissing early game as "easy encounters" is nonsense. It drops encounters you have no chance to defeat time and time again.

tindrli

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
In games where you have to roll the stats for your character, how many of you will stop with your first roll and leave it there?

A minority, I imagine. Knowing that the game may well slap you around in some difficult corners, you want to be ready for it with the best character you can have. That's why you'll probably keep rolling.

If you are going to roll until you get your 20, 18, 19, 17, 16, 18 character anyway, why not just stop wasting those 5 minutes just rolling and rolling, go to the .cfg files, edit it to give yourself 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 and make the whole process quicker? That's what some of you probably do, I'd reckon.

Similarly, why bother running in circles for grinding at the beginning, because your party is not suitable for the first proper combat encounter? Just cheat to give yourselves the minimum three levels you desire, before your party is feasible and then move on. A week of grinding avoided.

Sometimes, when a particular thing in a game is not fun, you have to break the game to make it fun. After all, it's your game and nobody is judging you for it. Right? Wrong?

every fuckin time that i did that i stopped playing in the same day

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom