Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Jurassic Fantasy - an ancient looking RPG with dinosaurs

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer

Jurassic Fantasy is a game where you need to find a 5 magical stones to restore peace in the world. The islands are populated mostly by dinosaurs. You walk around, you fight. That's (mostly) it.

There will be some spoilers in this short review. Without spoilers: Neither great, nor awful, very clunky.

At first, I thought the game was awful. I didn't put points into speed in the beginning and all the movement was abysmally slow (and you walk aaaalll the time). After some fights I put stat points into speed and it felt much better.
The fights are extremely basic, you shoot an (fire-?)ball into one of four directions, hit the enemy while running away from him to not get hit. Enemies only have meele attacks although their range is sometimes higher than one part of the grid.

There are some bugs in the game and it felt a bit unpolished but I don't think it will receive an update - but hopefully I'm wrong.

I liked the enemy variety, shops were okay, environments were a bit repetitive at first but it got a tad better after I got to the other isles. Music was good, sounds were okay.
There is little story, not really any choices, not much dialogue.
I bought the game mostly because the setting sounded interesting. It's not like that this is used to the fullest but fighting dinosaurs was nice.

Something that bothered me a bit was that the game is 200 mb big. I took a look at the files and it seems that it's bundled with chromium or something. And I think there's no save-system?

After the second death the game felt okayish and in my last playthrough the game finally was actually fun - getting more and more stat points and fight stronger enemies was cool. It's very basic and clunky but I liked it and felt somewhat satisfied after beating it.

Is the game great? No. Is it okay and can be fun distraction? Yes. If you don't mind the graphics and clunky gameplay and are on the lookout for a basic RPG that takes 30-90 minutes to complete, give it a go. It's dirt-cheap after all.

Here are some screenshots.

jurassic_fantasy_2.png

jurassic_fantasy_1.png

boat.png

jurassic_fantasy_3.png

jurassic_fantasy_4.png

jurassic_fantasy_5.png

jurassic_fantasy_6.png

magicalstones.png

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
News! Jurassic Fantasy got an update.

Hello,

We're proud to announce Jurassic Fantasy's first update. Here's the content:

1) Increased the Window Size of the game (when full screen is off);

2) Improved the overall code, leading to a more clean gameplay;

3) Fixed bugs, typos and direction (yes, now East is actually East, and West is West!).

To celebrate this first update, Jurassic Fantasy will have a 35% off discount for the next two weeks.

Share it with your friends and save Jombo from the dinosaurs. Or yourself.

LGV Team

And they increased the price from 0.99 to 2.99.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
New update! (and it got another one a while back, it's in the spoiler). They dropped the price back to 1$.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1342220/view/3100172265390125829

Hello,

This is a small note to remind you all that Jurassic Fantasy now has Steam Achievements! We also would like to share a small screenshot from the upcoming sequel, Jurassic Fantasy II.

36f6a434e9250a7d770d1dbe819e5a22df028326.png

Not much to show there, since it's still in very early stages of development, but we decided to share it anyway just so you all know that the game is indeed in development! Jurassic Fantasy II will probably be released late this year, or early 2023. We'll share more informations really soon, when we release the store page in a few weeks.

Thank you all!

Here's the content of the older update.
  • SAVE/LOAD FEATURE
    Now you can save and load your stats (def, atk, spd; not your position) at any time through the PAUSE (Escape) screen.

• SPRITE REDESIGN
    We also made some changes in some of the sprites from the game, specifically the map tileset. We updated the Store Page with new screenshots from the game if you want to check it out before you play it!

• DAY/NIGHT
    The game now changes the lights from time to time to create an idea of day/night. This, in addition to the sprite redesign was made aiming at creating a more atmospheric environment.

• SOUNDTRACK
    We created seven new tracks for the game and added already. These are from: start; introduction story; map; shop; woz wear spot; end game and death scenes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried this a while ago and my main problem was that for walking, I had to push the arrow keys for each tile I walked. Holding it down to autowalk was not an option. That made me quit because I don't wanna ruin my fingers.

Is that fixed now?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Joytokey and use a gamepad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom