Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPGS, where to start? should I even

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah you'd need to play a fan translation ROM.
In my ceaseless desire to drop names of extremely low-importance people, my first paying game-writing job was writing a story for a jRPG programmed by the brother of the guy who did the FFV fan translation. At the time, that seemed like kind of a big deal. :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is King's Field (4) supposed to have such slow moving speed? I'm getting 40-50 fps and it's unbearably slow. I've seen some vids online and it seems a little smoother. Guess it's just my PC.

I don't know how slow is slow for you, but the KF games are pretty slow in their movement speed. That's the sacrifice FROM went for to avoid loading screens. Eternal Ring is a similar FPP dungeon crawler made by FROM, but it has much faster movement speed. OTOH it also has loading screens. Try Eternal Ring and see if that works any better.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Anything else I should add, or remove? I played Final Fantasy (I think it was 10-2) the one with the 3 celebrity singers or some shit. I lost interest immediately. Which should I give a go?
:deathclaw:

Final Fantasy X-2 is...not the best in the series. I recommend 6 and 9.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Is King's Field (4) supposed to have such slow moving speed? I'm getting 40-50 fps and it's unbearably slow. I've seen some vids online and it seems a little smoother. Guess it's just my PC.
Do you mean unbearable lags/jerkiness of movement, by any chance? I had this issue while playing on the emulator, but couldn't find a proper solution.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
br31.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I got some enjoyment out of Chrono Trigger playing it as a post-20. I suspect Final Fantasy 6 is in the same category, but I'm biased since I played it was a 7+.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Brandish 3, in case anyone was wondering. I've only played the SNES games and that one PSP game, but it's a pretty fun dungeon crawler affair. Not sure how the PC-98 versions play, though.

That does remind me (Falcom): Xanadu Next for the PC is great. It has an English patch and an official release coming soon by XSEED.

laclongquan

Arcane
jRPG can be very wide choices to select. Here are some easy experiments for you.

You can try Final Fantasy 8 first. It can be an easy game, yet have complex features the more you look into it. Dont try 7 because blocky graphic, 9 because it's a very quirky game.

Chronos Cross, because Chronos Trigger is SNES-era graphic. Between you and me, SNES era graphic can be huge turn off, so CC is a good substitute. Very nice story and atmostphere. Also easy to play.

Legend of Mana if you want some safe games for your younger relatives. It is a very nice piece of fluffy story, with marvellous gameplay. The cutesy arts can turn Codex diehards off, so they generally ignore this tittle.

Heavily influenced by jrpg, and can be considered one, Reccetear is a game made outside of Japan. dungeon delver coupled with shop keeping. Another game you can play safely.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Brandish 3, in case anyone was wondering. I've only played the SNES games and that one PSP game, but it's a pretty fun dungeon crawler affair. Not sure how the PC-98 versions play, though.

I like more the PC-98 version, I think that with mouse and keyboard is easier to play. I Played 1 to 3, only missed VT.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
You can try Final Fantasy 8 first. It can be an easy game, yet have complex features the more you look into it. Dont try 7 because blocky graphic, 9 because it's a very quirky game.

Chronos Cross, because Chronos Trigger is SNES-era graphic. Between you and me, SNES era graphic can be huge turn off, so CC is a good substitute. Very nice story and atmostphere. Also easy to play.
:nocountryforshitposters:

laclongquan

Arcane
What? A lots of nostalgiafags around here rather die than admit SNES graphic die a deserved death. It's gone, Jim~

I am not a graphicwhore but I always say there should be a minimum requirement for visual. Failing that and my dick doesnt even harden enough to get me to try a game.

It's far from everything, but it's the necessary first step.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I never had a SNES, but they look fantastic if you play them on a small screen with scanlines/CRT filter. I beat a few of them on my tablet and it was good.

zwanzig_zwoelf

It's a reasonable excuse, but only if you play tablets exclusively. Expand it to a desktop screen or a plasma screen and you scratch your head.
I know what you mean.
My main complaint about SNES is not the graphics, though. Most of the library feels like Final Fantasy/Contra/othersooperpopulargayme clones, which kinda hinders my interest in SNES as a whole.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know what you mean.
My main complaint about SNES is not the graphics, though. Most of the library feels like Final Fantasy/Contra/othersooperpopulargayme clones, which kinda hinders my interest in SNES as a whole.
From my occasional browsing through romsites, I think the console is really littered with crappy platformers than anything else. Though, yes, there are plenty of games that follow the standard JRPG/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest structure.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I don't know how slow is slow for you, but the KF games are pretty slow in their movement speed. That's the sacrifice FROM went for to avoid loading screens. Eternal Ring is a similar FPP dungeon crawler made by FROM, but it has much faster movement speed. OTOH it also has loading screens. Try Eternal Ring and see if that works any better.
Kings Field 2 (1 in NA) actually plays pretty fast when emulated. For some reason there is some kind of problem with emulating that game. I could never figure out how to fix it but it played slightly faster than normal. It would only slow down at some strange points. King's Field 3 emulated at a normal speed though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Kings Field 2 (1 in NA) actually plays pretty fast when emulated. For some reason there is some kind of problem with emulating that game. I could never figure out how to fix it but it played slightly faster than normal. It would only slow down at some strange points. King's Field 3 emulated at a normal speed though.
Did you try to play it on original hardware? I thought that slowdowns occured mostly because PSX couldn't handle the game at the desired speed.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Did you try to play it on original hardware? I thought that slowdowns occured mostly because PSX couldn't handle the game at the desired speed.
I can't remember much about the speed of King's Field 2 on PSX. I think I only played it for a little bit on PSX at a friend's house. I owned and played KF3 on PSX though. Still KF2 seemed to play twice as fast as KF3 did. I think the frame rate was doubled but I couldn't seem to get it to work right when setting up a limiter on the emulator. But I liked the faster speed since you walk around a lot and combat can be a bit slow. I should say I used epsxe as an emulator.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I own both KF1 (2) and KF4 as physical copies and they workfine on their native machines. I think KF1 might have some slowdown issues occasionally if it was a particularly busy screen, but it didn't happen often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom