Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jRPGs that might appeal to wRPG fans

Stargazer_

Front Mission 3 <== for the ease of emulating it on PC. It's lite-jrpg, mind.
I second Front Mission 3, Its one of the best strat jrpg's on the PS1 and runs like a boogers on a nose on any rig. I even got it successfully running on an Android device. (a OnePlus One)

Its challenging, unforgiving, lengthy, and the setting is uber bad-ass to boot. and it has these
500px-Zenith_wanzer_01.jpg

What more could you want?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Its challenging, unforgiving, lengthy, and the setting is uber bad-ass to boot

It's neither unforgiving nor challenging, except if you want to gain the platinum achievement after each and every fight, but yes IT IS a fucking awesome game.

Stargazer_

Its challenging, unforgiving, lengthy, and the setting is uber bad-ass to boot

It's neither unforgiving nor challenging, except if you want to gain the platinum achievement after each and every fight, but yes IT IS a fucking awesome game.
As you tell by the avatar I'm a FM fan (Fuck Square for making evolved) So I had to get platinum achievement for every battle.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If you're a fan then admit the game's a joke regarding difficulty : just compare it to the first one for example. And getting platinum is a piece of cake in most of the fights.

Arthandas

Prophet
How about the ones available currently on Steam? Is there any good jrpg with a deep and challenging combat where you don't play as a fucking 10yo boy swinging a 2m dildo?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
How about the ones available currently on Steam? Is there any good jrpg with a deep and challenging combat where you don't play as a fucking 10yo boy swinging a 2m dildo?

Elminage Gothic is probably what you want.

Arthandas

Prophet
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky has suspiciously high metascore. Did any of you played it? How's the combat?

As for Elminage, I have enough dongoen krewling after Grimrock...

zwanzig_zwoelf

The Last Remnant could do the trick.
This game made me cry like a little boy because of the incomprehensible battle rank system.
:negative:

Amn Nom

Learned
Ys Origins and Oath in Felghana. Adol Christin starts out as 17! Seriously, grab the demo to Ys Origins at the very least. Some of the best combat in a JRPG with those games.

Arthandas

Prophet
Ys Origins and Oath in Felghana. Adol Christin starts out as 17! Seriously, grab the demo to Ys Origins at the very least. Some of the best combat in a JRPG with those games.
Sprinting around while mashing the attack button is hardly deep or challenging. Also, the game is either reflex based or challenging, at least for me... #ivebeatdarksoulswithmypenis

Though I liked the fact that for once, the main warrior type character is female.

Amn Nom

Learned
Sprinting around while mashing the attack button is hardly deep or challenging. Also, the game is either reflex based or challenging, at least for me... #ivebeatdarksoulswithmypenis

Though I liked the fact that for once, the main warrior type character is female.
On Nightmare? I always found that difficulty pretty rough. Stealing this from the Ys thread:

Arthandas

Prophet
I admit this boss fight looks really interesting, but I would rather play DMC 3/4 again than this (and I still don't consider this to be an rpg...).

Blackguard

Learned
Can't believe no-one has suggested the Suikoden games. Here's review of Suikoden II to give an idea what this series is like.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
If you're a fan then admit the game's a joke regarding difficulty : just compare it to the first one for example. And getting platinum is a piece of cake in most of the fights.

The original Front Mission is not a challenging game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
With the exception of a few character designs, Vagrant Story is probably the most appealing to WRPG fans. Combat is really well implemented, although there's some idiosyncracies that scream Japanese. Still, probably one of the few JRPGs I would consider must play for everyonel. Suikoden games have fantastic worldbuilding, but the combat runs on an autopilot, which could piss off a WRPG fan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom