Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPGs more appealing to the western eyez...

Can you recommend some obscure jrpgs that are similar to main (S)MT games? I mean - mature, grimdark, occult themed (except Shadow Heats, I already know about it).

Martius

Liturgist
What about Resonance of Fate on 360/ps3? For sure its not about occult but its more mature than typical jrpgs from what I can remember. Pretty good combat, very rich weapon customization and some funny moment.
1380962-custom.jpg

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria maybe could also fit, at least partially.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

... or at least less disgusting. TRPGS included. I'll go for Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle: MotBQ, Tactics Ogre: LUCT and even FFXIII (do not laugh, it's much more tolerable than VII-VIII FFs) but I hope for more obscure stuff being mentioned.

Game must avoid or limit faggotry, childish cuttiness or typical unfunny japanese humour. Blood & gore are always welcome.

Discuss.
Devil Summoner (SAT/PSP)
Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
The Dark Spire (NDS)

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
... or at least less disgusting. TRPGS included. I'll go for Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle: MotBQ, Tactics Ogre: LUCT and even FFXIII (do not laugh, it's much more tolerable than VII-VIII FFs) but I hope for more obscure stuff being mentioned.

Game must avoid or limit faggotry, childish cuttiness or typical unfunny japanese humour. Blood & gore are always welcome.

Discuss.
Devil Summoner (SAT/PSP)
Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
The Dark Spire (NDS)

Meru_Info.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Codexian definition of western style: anything I enjoyed personally, 'cause it'd be embarrassing if I were a weeaboo.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Discuss.
Devil Summoner (SAT/PSP)
Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
The Dark Spire (NDS)

Meru_Info.jpg
Eh, it looks way better ingame, as far as I can remember.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nier maybe?

Also to consider: Baroque, Pandora's Tower, Koudelka, El Shaddai.

Overall, though, there's nothing quite like Shin Megami Tensei.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
El Shaddai is a JRPG now?

Not really - hence, I listed it last. However, it does fit the other criteria to an extent (plus it's Japanese!), so I thought the OP might find it interesting.

Fair enough. Is it good for what it is™ ? I want to get more mileage out of my consoles, and I thought the demo was fantastic.

Gozma

Arcane
vagrant_story_ss.jpg

VSbossbattle.png

One of the best rpg's i have played on a console.

I wish someone would make a hack for this that would let you swap weapons without going into a menu, deletes the risk-removing items, and balances the golf meter minigame thing better. It's unfortunately messed up bad on a basic design level as-is

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fair enough. Is it good for what it is™ ?

It'd say it is, yeah. It may not be among the best action games I've played when it comes to gameplay (I'm not really an expert on action games though), but it's really unique and very atmospheric, and probably comes the closest to a good occult-themed game that isn't SMT. If you enjoyed what SMT does with the occult, I think you'll enjoy El Shaddai too.

laclongquan

Arcane
What about Resonance of Fate on 360/ps3? For sure its not about occult but its more mature than typical jrpgs from what I can remember. Pretty good combat, very rich weapon customization and some funny moment.
1380962-custom.jpg
/QUOTE]

Funny. yeah, if you like juvenile humour...
I like juvenile humour.
Pity it's 360/PS3

Last edited:

I know all of them (as well as the rest of jrpgs mentioned above) but none of them is SMT-like.

there's nothing quite like Shin Megami Tensei.

I just remembered there was a thread by eric_s where I found something similar but it's all in fucking MOONRUNEZ. Damn, that's the kind of stuff I seek:

zpaTx.png

KoiJv.png

TUi2m.png

404819-last-armageddon-pc-98-screenshot-i-guess-somebody-wanted-a.gif

Plz someone translate these games!

TheGreatOne

Arcane
While not a Wizardry clone, Panzer Dragoon Saga has more realistic character designs than other contemporary JRPGs. The only female character in the entire game has got a weird hairdstyle, but overall people have regular looking clothes and hair, even if their faces look a bit cartoonish (due to the technical limitations of the time aswell). It's not grimdark, but it's post apocalyptic and you're alone most of the game. You could actually say it's anime inspired in the good sense (inspired by stuff like Nausicaa, as well as surrealistic french comics).

Never played it but doesn't Lost Odyssey have quite normal character designs as well?
There's a shit ton of J-exclusive JRPGs on 16/32 bit consoles that look way more original and cool than most of the stuff that got translated. All kinds of different stuff. Games set in 1800s London, modern day, cyberpunk, horror etc. But all we got was mostly the uninspired fantasy games :rage:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I know all of them (as well as the rest of jrpgs mentioned above) but none of them is SMT-like.

there's nothing quite like Shin Megami Tensei.

I just remembered there was a thread by eric_s where I found something similar but it's all in fucking MOONRUNEZ. Damn, that's the kind of stuff I seek:

zpaTx.png

KoiJv.png

TUi2m.png

404819-last-armageddon-pc-98-screenshot-i-guess-somebody-wanted-a.gif

Just go play Majin Tensei/Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei/Giten Megami Tensei, goddamnit.

2090276-belphegor.png

Sometimes u need a break from even the best franchise an now, after +100h playthrough of P2:Eternal Punishment it's time to taste something (slightly) different.

Vulcris

Novice
I haven't seen Parasite Eve mentionned.

The second one is more Resident Evil like but I always took the first one as a rpg with even a pause to imput your attack commands for those who have reflexes as slow as mine

Malpercio

Arcane
Another one for Anachronox.

Most Matsuno stuff fit this pretty well too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno

Some Old Atlus stuff may fit. Nocturne? Dunno if "too animu".

Baten Kaitos and Shadow Hearts aesthetic may fit, but the storyline may not.

Child of light, altough the gameplay is a snorefest.

PE like ^ said. 1 more than 2.

Nier maybe?

Valkyrie Profile 1 definitely.

Some of the Ys games. The new ones are heavily focused on storyline. I'd say Felghana, Ark and 1-2.

Xanadu Next fits definitely.

Terranigma, maybe.

Last edited:

redwood36

Novice
Surprised no one has mentioned Vandal Hearts. It's got a unique art style which sort of makes fun of western appearances a bit, but its loads of fun and make very little use of lolli bs. You can't hate the giant spurts of blood.

Suikoden 1+2 are also great games. As the series went was ruined by 3D and bad anime aesthetics though. too bad, since the first ones are so good.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Pity it's 360/PS3
Sega was publisher for this one. Maybe after Valkyria Chronicles they would port that one sooner or later too.

It'd be nice to see Resonance of Fate in an HD PC port, the PS3 graphics are ok if you get used to the browns, but technically it could be better. The combat system is fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom