Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Trashos

Arcane
I do not even understand how traveling does not impact exploration. There is no exploration in Kingmaker without traveling.

Look, I fully expect to be showered with "Retadred" ratings for what I am about to say, but here it comes anyway. You are all doing the ol' bureaucracy dance, creating dozens of new issues in order to solve a single issue, leaving everyone worse off at the end.

And to achieve what? Let's take a look at the premise: You want to give the player a spell, and then you do not want him to use it! What is the point in all this, why are you giving him a spell if you do not want him to be using it?

Here are the actual solutions to the problem:

1) Do not give him the spell. If it is not to be used casually, it should not be in his spellbook, it should be a simple consumable. If for some mind blowing reason you want to create a spell of very limited usage, then it should be a rod or a one-use spell that cannot be inscribed, not something in anyone's spellbook.

2) The actual solution is above. But here is another milder way to deal with the issue "I want to give the player game breaking spells, and then restrain their usage". Just keep track of in-game time, that's all. Let the people who don't sleep much be able to prove it and boast about it, let the people who sleep after every fight look at the in-game date and cry in shame.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So, will Josh reload and try a different approach? Or is it overestimating him to ask.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I feel bad for Mister J.Sawyer. I hope he finds something to make him happy again.

btw you guys all should try digimon cyber sleuth , even griding in that game is actually good.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
So, will Josh reload and try a different approach? Or is it overestimating him to ask.
Hopefully he'll find something to do that doesn't require AC and an active internet connection. Like rock balancing gardening... or drawing realistic medieval armors...

I feel bad for Mister J.Sawyer. I hope he finds something to make him happy again.
Awwww! You're too kind for this world forum. :M

Quillon

Arcane
Josh was talking about Deadfire's "harder" marketing push but seems you guys talking about PoE1.

Bonerbill

Augur
Maybe the game mechanics are fine but the game just sucked in the marketing department. It did seem to have terrible marketing leading up to the game. I highly doubt gamers didn't buy it because of any of the mechanics you guys are nitpicking here in the thread, that's for sure.

Oh fuck off. It's always "muh bad marketing" as a last resort with you fanboys. PoE had plenty of marketing. Fucking everyone knew about the game when it launched. They even had the usual YouTube dipshits shilling for it.

Eat a dick faggot. By your logic Call of Duty is the best series ever because it sells millions of copies every year. Any person with a brain knows that marketing and word of mouth are usually the biggest reasons why a game sells.

Eat a dick faggot. By your logic Call of Duty is the best series ever because it sells millions of copies every year. Any person with a brain knows that marketing and word of mouth are usually the biggest reasons why a game sells.

You can whine about marking all you want, faggot. I have no problem watching you fidget in denial. But if PoE was worth a shit it would have sold better and the sequel wouldn't have been a fucking flop.

Tenebris

Scholar
I wonder how much the story of Deadfire was changed during early development. The early quotes we got teasing the Figstarter had a very different tone than what we ended up with.
vPGsUZZ.jpg

Tenebris

Scholar
You sure about that? It was Eder saying that quote in the first trailer we got. I don't recall it being in the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I mean ultimately the problem with Deadfire is the disconnect between search for Ukaizo, faction conflict, and finding out what the fuck is Eothas up to. These 3 arcs never converge into a coherent narrative.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The memes that his goon clique liked to spout at the time sure helped him out.
Muscle wizard good, ivory tower design bad, trigger the grogs, own the grogs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom